Eating raw meat.

Kunren

Eating raw meat.

Post by Kunren »

just wondering if this would be possible? I know raw meat can make you sick though so... A chance to vomit and get a large boost to being hungry maybe? Not sure If that would be possible or not, but it would really make my characters rp a bit more convient. (Totally selfish reason I know haha)
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
baerden

Re: Eating raw meat.

Post by baerden »

Do you want worms? Because this is how you get worms.

Though, I think you should have the choice :D
sona

Post by sona »

I think we could do fish raw, people put raw salmon on their bagels, we eat raw fish in the form of sushi modernly, and I'm sure there are other historical/survivalist examples of this. Other meats I'd definitely think should have a chance of making you ill. re:fish. Make sure you remove the digestive track and preferably bones before taking a big ole bite of raw fish.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

baerden wrote:Do you want worms? Because this is how you get worms.

Though, I think you should have the choice :D
^ this exactly
Barius

Post by Barius »

Well, this is an interesting topic.

I'm actually surprised it wasn't possible normally. I found that out by accident the other day. I completely expected to eat the raw meat, then get sick. But it appears it's just not a food item under most circumstances.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Eating raw meat isn't that big of a deal. I've eaten raw beef, raw chicken, and raw eggs on more than one occasion. I still eat raw eggs regularly. Steak tartare (raw beef) is considered a delicacy, and plenty of native cultures ate raw meat for centuries. I've met people who have eaten raw meat for years.

Really, if you think about it, what sense does it make for humans to be the only animals (aside from herbivores) on the entire planet to not be able to digest raw meat?
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Meat isn't what it used to be. I think it's quite reasonable to assume that eating raw meat during the Clok time-period and setting would have different results than eating meat we have in the real world here and now.

Also, gross. Just sayin'.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Elystole wrote:Eating raw meat isn't that big of a deal. I've eaten raw beef, raw chicken, and raw eggs on more than one occasion. I still eat raw eggs regularly. Steak tartare (raw beef) is considered a delicacy, and plenty of native cultures ate raw meat for centuries. I've met people who have eaten raw meat for years.

Really, if you think about it, what sense does it make for humans to be the only animals (aside from herbivores) on the entire planet to not be able to digest raw meat?

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... tudy-finds
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
baerden

Post by baerden »

Elystole wrote:Eating raw meat isn't that big of a deal. I've eaten raw beef, raw chicken, and raw eggs on more than one occasion. I still eat raw eggs regularly. Steak tartare (raw beef) is considered a delicacy, and plenty of native cultures ate raw meat for centuries. I've met people who have eaten raw meat for years.

We can digest raw meat just fine. Just like animals. And just like animals, we can get all sorts of parasites through its consumption. This is generally why we started cooking our meat.

You can 'generally' eat raw steak and eggs now because of all the de-wormers and anti-biotics we feed to domesticated live stock, but I wouldn't advise it. There are all kinds of diseases that jumped to humans through the consumption of wild flesh. There is a pretty popular theory that believe AIDS was first introduced to humans in this way.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... sjump.html
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Besides, nobody gets to eat raw meat until I can eat parchment. I'm still waiting on that.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

You can assume that in the CLOK world, eating raw meat is bad for humans. In the Lost Lands, it's especially bad for humans. We could allow it and make people get sick and contract parasites and all sorts of gross stuff ... and have people complain when they accidentally eat that raw piece they haven't cooked yet instead of the cooked piece right next to it, and complain about what a silly and pointless feature it is when there's zero benefit to it and so accident-prone.

So, I'm opting for sticking to just preventing it outright. Sorry!
The lore compels me!
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

That's cool! I can definitely see the cons outway the pros there, though it a bit disappointing to miss out on the yummy parasites! I suppose I can just keep going on with my character as I have, needed to make slight changes without being able to eat raw meat, but they seem fun enough.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

But we used to be able to eat raw fish. It was pathetically ineffiecent at refilling hunger, but I don't see why it isn't possible. Fish is generally the cleanest form of raw meat, and you can usually notice worms and other parasites in raw fish meat easier than you can in, say, raw beef. I would at least like some sashimi, which could basically just be cutting a filet into strips to make. Yay, rudimentary CLOK sushi!
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

if this is a feature we eventually get, i would hope there is one of those things that makes you confirm that you really do want to do what you're about to do.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Barius

Post by Barius »

Fayne wrote:But we used to be able to eat raw fish. It was pathetically ineffiecent at refilling hunger, but I don't see why it isn't possible. Fish is generally the cleanest form of raw meat, and you can usually notice worms and other parasites in raw fish meat easier than you can in, say, raw beef. I would at least like some sashimi, which could basically just be cutting a filet into strips to make. Yay, rudimentary CLOK sushi!
I don't think "rudimentary" and "sushi" belong in the same sentence together.

Just sayin'.
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Oh come now. Sushi was rudimentary at SOME point in history.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I'm sure it took a few people dying before they found out the proper way to slice them pufferfishies.
qinweiqi

Post by qinweiqi »

Rias wrote:You can assume that in the CLOK world, eating raw meat is bad for humans. In the Lost Lands, it's especially bad for humans. We could allow it and make people get sick and contract parasites and all sorts of gross stuff ... and have people complain when they accidentally eat that raw piece they haven't cooked yet instead of the cooked piece right next to it, and complain about what a silly and pointless feature it is when there's zero benefit to it and so accident-prone.

So, I'm opting for sticking to just preventing it outright. Sorry!
I'm not sure how many RP type things there are out there that are either very stupid or otherwise pointless but that would expand on people's RP opportunities, but I'm a little saddened that the thought behind not implementing some is that 'somebody won't like it'. I don't particularly care for freezing to death but I certainly wouldn't want it removed, it's part of what makes clok amazing. I love that characters can generally do their own thing, even if that thing is going to get them killed -- I also love that Clok has consequences, if you do something dumb to kill yourself, you probably will in fact die. So, if these things would add RP value and actually be worth coding maybe we could have an option 9,436 to toggle 'Please let me do things that are very dumb because I want to roleplay."
It would allow:
Eating raw meat
Lighting oneself on fire with an appropriate heat source (preferably so one could exclaim 'there will be no survivors!')
Jumping/rolling down from tall things that need climb checks to get up
Swimming (or rather sinking) with too much weight
Sitting in shallow water
The much less intelligent lying in shallow water
Attempting to swim across rivers we have no hope of clearing whatsoever
Petting, hugging, or otherwise snuggling the buffalo
Using a defensive tactic such as block or parry without the appropriate implement, so that we can choose to get hit
Stepping in our own bear traps
etc, etc, etc

But, if such silly or otherwise self destructive things aren't worth adding to the code because there are so many [better | more time consuming | generally amazing] things in the to-do list (as I believe is the case, Yay non-guild abilities!), that is an answer I really want to get behind. Anyway, sorry for ranting, but I wanted to throw in my two cents. Now I'm off to make a feature request post to let me sit in shallow water.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Love it all. I am also in the camp of "put it in there, just in case(even if people gonna die)"
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I would like to kindly point out that there is at least one place where you can intentionally leap to your death like an idiot.

...Not that I did it or anything...
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I'm pretty sure sinking is already a thing as well if you jump into a pool of water.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”