Nerfs I'd have to agree with

Kent

Nerfs I'd have to agree with

Post by Kent »

Ok, so most suggestions on the Feature Requests and Suggestions board involve boosts to abilities or new abilities.

But it takes a special kind of player to come up with nerfs that ought to be brought in. An even more special one to give satisfactorily convincing reasons for them.

If you'd like to be that kind of a person, this thread is for you. In fact, I would like to go so far as to request a separate board for this, so we can list our requested nerfs by titled subject.
Last edited by Kent on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Kent

Re: Nerfs I'd have to agree with

Post by Kent »

Bowstring snappage.

Currently, archers have it pretty sweet compared with melee weapon users. Melee weapons deteriorate and have a weapon breakage factor looming on the horizon, waiting to be coded in.

Fishing lines snap on fishing poles, so why not bowstrings too, sometimes? I think it would only stand to reason that there be a small breakage factor on bow strings, for example 2.0% per shot if your archery skill is below 100, 1.5% if your archery is between 100 and 500, and 1.0% if over 500.

These numbers are large enough to be interesting but small enough to not cripple the combat prowess of an archer.

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

I want to be as special as you, Kent.
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

If bowstring snapping was implemented, I'd prefer for it to be based on condition just like a normal melee weapon. The difference between bowstrings and fishing line is one is very thin and only made to support so much weight before it snaps. One good yank that puts too much force on it easily snaps it. The other, however, is designed to be able to fling projectiles at high speeds, and is under constant heavy pressure. It is thick and made to withstand heavy use. A bowstring wouldn't just suddenly snap on you; you'd be able to tell far in advance that your bowstring wasn't doing so well.

So, if we implement bowstrung snappage, then there should be a way to remove the bowstring so it can be replaced in advance, rather than having to wait until it snaps.

And while we're at it, why not make the bow's quality degrade slowly over time while it is strung? In all reality, wearing your bow over your shoulder and keeping it strung all the time is absolutely horrible for it, and it should be unstrung and kept in your quiver with your arrows if you do not plan on using it too soon.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Drayla wrote:If bowstring snapping was implemented, I'd prefer for it to be based on condition just like a normal melee weapon. The difference between bowstrings and fishing line is one is very thin and only made to support so much weight before it snaps. One good yank that puts too much force on it easily snaps it. The other, however, is designed to be able to fling projectiles at high speeds, and is under constant heavy pressure. It is thick and made to withstand heavy use. A bowstring wouldn't just suddenly snap on you; you'd be able to tell far in advance that your bowstring wasn't doing so well.

So, if we implement bowstrung snappage, then there should be a way to remove the bowstring so it can be replaced in advance, rather than having to wait until it snaps.

And while we're at it, why not make the bow's quality degrade slowly over time while it is strung? In all reality, wearing your bow over your shoulder and keeping it strung all the time is absolutely horrible for it, and it should be unstrung and kept in your quiver with your arrows if you do not plan on using it too soon.
I'd have to agree with this.

Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Lets nerf open combat abilities that use stealth for their roll when they're not being performed from hiding: Dirty tricks should rely on brawling, not stealth rolls, as an example. Nerf mental and fear attacks (i.e. mummer abilities, some rook abilities, and that one thing dwaedn do) or introduce a mental skill and a mental defense skill. Everything should be defendable with enough skill, not a flat chance. Nerf root effects because they last way too long. Nerf any combat ability that reliably cause more than 6 seconds of rt to an opponent. Nerf heavy armor more somehow, because it can never be nerfed enough. Nerf horses more, because why not (maybe they should degrade over time)? Also, nerf leathercrafting because Kent does it.

Only part of that was productive.
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

I can't help but notice that all the nerfs you suggest are for things other people do not you. Not saying they aren't good ideas, but not sure you can really Claim to be that special kind of player you want people to think you are that way. A really special player sees the things they are doing are over powered and says something.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”