Drakolin Bone/Chitin Armor

Stranger

Drakolin Bone/Chitin Armor

Post by Stranger »

My character seems to have a thing for trying to kill drakolins. What would guys you think about trying to craft armor out of their bones?

I imagine it would be weaker than plate armor but much heavier than chain armor. It might even be something that would be easier for those fancy magic type people to channel through. (Similar to rigid leather.) Historically bone armor has been made but since the majority of R/L bones are small they had to be tied together. Drakolin bones though, I would imagine would be much tougher and larger so that one could chisel away large plate pieces which could then be fashioned into all sort of stuff.
"No one knows whether death, which people fear to be the greatest evil, may not be the greatest good."
Plato
Jaster

Re: Drakolin Bone/Chitin Armor

Post by Jaster »

Or bowtruckle carapace armor.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

I was thinking it would be nice to be able to descale drakolin scales like they do with snakes and crocodiles to get skins to make soft and rigid leather goods.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Elystole wrote:I was thinking it would be nice to be able to descale drakolin scales like they do with snakes and crocodiles to get skins to make soft and rigid leather goods.
I thought that was already possible, but maybe that was just a dream I had once.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

If that could be done, I would personally see to it that Jaster had [a mighty bowtruckle butt greathelm with dual feathers] made JUST for him.
"No one knows whether death, which people fear to be the greatest evil, may not be the greatest good."
Plato
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

Jaster wrote:
Elystole wrote:I was thinking it would be nice to be able to descale drakolin scales like they do with snakes and crocodiles to get skins to make soft and rigid leather goods.
I thought that was already possible, but maybe that was just a dream I had once.
It is. You can already make drakolin leather; I helped a certain guy do it a couple of years ago.

I think the bone ideas is super-cool, but one thing strikes me as odd. Don't lizards have fairly thin bones? Kinda a precursor to their evolution to birds, etc. Just something I always assumed.
Vitello

Post by Vitello »

Reality is selective in a game.
Vertebrate

Post by Vertebrate »

I like turtles

(for armor made of shell for wizards)
Dactor
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

The problem with drakolin bone armor being comparable to plate is that the bone density and toughness would then presumably be comparable to metal, and correspondingly, channeling encumbrance ratings. Another problem is that I don't want heavier metal armors obsoleted by a superior armor that can be crafted and "farmed". Having some kind of bone brigandine/splint armor with some minor benefits over the common stuff would be fun, but it wouldn't be on the order of "lighter armor as far as enumbrance/channeling, but heavier armor as far as protection". That would just throw off the intended balance too much.
The lore compels me!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Fair enough, thanks for the reply.
Plato

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”