suggestion: combat training

Hujiko

suggestion: combat training

Post by Hujiko »

A couple of PC could agree to train combat fighting one against each other.
TwistedAkai

Re: suggestion: combat training

Post by TwistedAkai »

For this purpose, I would like to request a sparring stance that would penalize all attack and damage rolls (because you're being careful not to stomp their face in), which could auto-stop if either person suffers a severe wound.
Last edited by TwistedAkai on Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You also notice the corpse of a canim scavenger (x169).
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

This is already possible. With any weapon. Just have an IC interaction with them, bring up the subject of sparring, then have at it. Just make sure you are out in the wilderness and not in a town if you don't want criminal charges. Also, if you are training brawling, don't use any gloves or anything; if you are training swords, have a good woodworker carve you a wooden one; for daggers, do the same as with swords; staves, they don't do much damage anyway, so just use one, I think a walking-stick is one, and it has less chances for attack. If the walking stick is not a stave, use it to train whatever it counts for. Really, chained and hafted weapons will be the hardest to train with another PC if you aren't trying to kill each other. (I would recommend not using a bow or flintlock to train with another PC. Those things can be quick killers at times.)
Hujiko

Post by Hujiko »

Well, I would prefer the damage was null.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

I think the GMs (and I could be wrong) have said in the past that they don't want ways for PCs to train with zero risk. So the closest thing you'll get to coded sparring, to my knowledge, is to fight using wooden training swords.
“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”
Barius

Post by Barius »

Lysse wrote:I think the GMs (and I could be wrong) have said in the past that they don't want ways for PCs to train with zero risk. So the closest thing you'll get to coded sparring, to my knowledge, is to fight using wooden training swords.
This.
Jirato

Post by Jirato »

It's not my call, but I too doubt this'll ever be a thing. As has been mentioned, you can already RP it out and spar with others. I don't view any further mechanical assistance with this as necessary. Adding a "sparring" mechanic that nullifies all damage would just make things OOC. If it ever did happen, We certainly wouldn't enable skill gains with such a system for the reasons already pointed out.

Also, if you want to OOCly battle with others, you can always ask a mentor to open up the battlegrounds.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Drayla wins! Already possible to do with existing mechanics.

Lysse gets a medal too! Combat practice with no damage (no risk) isn't going to happen.

Hafted weapons - use a branch/unlit torch/cudgel
Chained weapons - grab a farming flail
The lore compels me!
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

Yay!

Also, what in the world is a farming flail?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

The original tool that the weapon was based on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flail
The lore compels me!
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

The farming flail: One step up from getting beat with a stick.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Lalora and I used to spar all the time. Got some good skill gain that way and was fun. Never turn down an opportunity to punch Lalora.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”