Modification to tactics

faylen

Modification to tactics

Post by faylen »

I would like to propose some modifications to how the tactics system works, mostly separating offense from defense. This would allow a character to choose both an offensive and a defensive tactic, although they would affect each other as explained below. Syntax could be tactics offense <option> or tactics defense <option>

offense options
aggressive: would work like tactics offensive does now, lowering whatever defense the character had set. Perhaps this could be combined with marksman, so that if a character was wielding a ranged weapon it would act as tactics marksman does now, but if not, tactics marksman would be under the offensive category as well.
Neutral or none: this would work just like tactics none does now except that the defense setting would still apply.
passive, cautious or something similar: This would lower the character's offensive rolls significantly, while boosting whatever defense they have set. It would be similar to setting tactics dodge/block now, except would have the benefit of allowing defense to be set to none thus leaving open the use of all three defensive rolls. Of course, the boost would be less in that case.

Defensive options
dodge: removes the possibility to parry or block and boosts dodge rolls
block: same as above but for shield blocking
parry: same as above but for parrying
none: No boosts and allows for all three defenses

I believe this setup would allow for more strategy when fighting as well as trying to train up specific things. I first thought of it because I'm trying to train melee, hafted weapons and shield use, but my dodge keeps kicking in instead of my blocking. Granted I'm not sure how the code works there but I keep thinking, if only there was a way for me to boost my blocking success possibility without crippling my offense, even if it meant removing dodge and parry for now.

Then my mind went to the possibilities in group fighting. Maybe you've got someone like a monk who doesn't plan to fight, so they can go into passive mode, have a shield and get boosts both in shields and dodging if they do happen to get pulled into melee. Meanwhile someone else who is doing all of the hard hitting might jump into aggressive mode, but they know that their strength is in parrying, not in dodging and they aren't even using a shield. So they switch their defense to parry. Of course, it would have to be balanced, the boosts given by certain defense tactics now wouldn't be as much under this new system since there isn't an automatic lowering of offense, but I think it could be done and add some more flexibility to the system.
qinweiqi

Re: Modification to tactics

Post by qinweiqi »

While I am very unfamiliar with the combat systems of clok, I do have an idea. I believe encumbrance is a factor in dodging; you may be able to weigh yourself down as much as possible by carrying lots of heavy gear. If this does prevent you from dodging, you should be able to get more shield training in.
TwistedAkai

Post by TwistedAkai »

I like this idea quite a bit. I could see using this as part of a character's personality or traits. If I wanted to RP someone as not being very agile, I could set them to only ever block, for example.
You also notice the corpse of a canim scavenger (x169).
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

You can do that now...
xavier

Post by xavier »

yes tactics pretty much does just what you said you want it to do save for the seperation and the defensive tactic as that is a templar specific ability gain.
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Vertebrate

Post by Vertebrate »

I would like it if you did not get round time when trying to go into the tactic you are already in.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Vertebrate wrote:I would like it if you did not get round time when trying to go into the tactic you are already in.
Done.
The lore compels me!
Vertebrate

Post by Vertebrate »

Cool! That was fast!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I think I understand the original request, though. You may want to work on your block skill, but not by doubling your block rolls (that would throw off challenge ratings). So a way to just say "don't ever try to dodge, but otherwise keep things the same" would be nice. You'd block at your normal blocking skill, but never dodge. That way you don't dodge things and prevent yourself from having the opportunity to block.
The lore compels me!
faylen

Post by faylen »

That's exactly it! That's what prompted the post in the first place. I figured it would probably raise the block rolls a little, but not to the same extreme and without dropping your offense rolls.

The additional stuff was for other possibilities, like a way to go offensive while still focusing on a specific defense. I guess the general idea is add some more flexibility in without totally unbalancing it, allow a bit more give and take than the current system. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the current tactics system, just thinking of how it could be tweaked further, if that makes sense. But you got the basics of what I was after.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Training shields is awful. Just throwing that out there. I too would like a way to choose what order my defensive rolls come up.
Vertebrate

Post by Vertebrate »

Isn't it kinda meta that we go off into battle to "train our skills?" And kinda sadistic; poor little bloated plague walker, stay still a moment so I can practice my eye gouge guild trick on you!

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”