Fleshing out the NPCs

Drayla

Fleshing out the NPCs

Post by Drayla »

It would seem that the ESP network is gaining its fair share of controversy lately, with many people, myself included, forgetting that there are thousands of NPCs in CLOK who are also listening in on the ESP network, even if not all of them constantly wear a pendant and listen to them. My suggestion is to add something like guild tasks to ESP, where an NPC will call out for a service they need done or an item they need delivered to/from them, and then the PCs will be left to RP amongst themselves for who will take the job and thus earn the reward for the task. Unlike guild tasks, though, the details will not show up anywhere, so you must remember exactly what the person wanted, and they will have a time limit before another NPC provides them with the service. I'm not saying these should be common occurrences; they would probably only happen two or three times a day, give or take, and the reward wouldn't be anything remarkable, besides maybe an article of clothing like you would find in a box. I'd like others' opinions on this, but I feel like it would help with the growing problem of "we are the sole inhabitants of CLOK besides the named NPCs" thought that seems to occur with everyone on occasion.
TwistedAkai

Re: Fleshing out the NPCs

Post by TwistedAkai »

I saw on a cyberpunk MUD with it's own city-wide communication system, NPCs would randomly call out generic prescripted conversation snippets when it was quiet. It gave players something to react to and helped make the world seem a bit more alive. Maybe something like that could be implemented as well?

I'm also curious as to how we'd work out espcolors and how we'd know it's an NPC. I'm not entirely certain that we -should- know, though.
You also notice the corpse of a canim scavenger (x169).
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I like this idea a lot.
kyrith

Post by kyrith »

I think this is an excellent idea, and something that would really encourage more rp. I'm in total support of this idea, so long as the tasks were either not dependent on any skill, or if they were skill dependent, to have tasks for a wide range of skills. :)
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

Well, the way I imagined them was as a sort of mix of certain tasks that are already assigned as guild tasks, just to a lesser extreme. For instance, traders would certainly see requests that they can fulfill for custom-made items, like jewelry, furniture, weapons, etc. Then combat focused characters could get a task to kill a certain mob and retrieve an item from said mob that belongs to whoever asked for help. Then of course you would have requests for herbs and produce that anyone can fulfill. I could also see some tasks encouraging people to team up to tackle it, like a very powerful mob that needs defeated, or an item that needs crafted that two people have to provide the materials for. It would open up a lot of possibilities for RP and help people play their characters as if they weren't the only people in Mistral Town Square or such.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I actually posted a suggestion for town tasks a while ago but it never went very far. It was more of something where an NPC could post a task on the board so people could do tasks as a group instead of trying to do completely unrelated guild tasks together which may or may not make sense for your character to involve someone else in. But something like this would be great as well.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Agreed, cool idea.
The lore compels me!
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

So, is this a "to-be-added" feature now? I'm kinda curious if my idea has a possibility of making into the game.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Something like it will likely go in at some point, just not high priority.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”