Making found treasure more...treasurable

Kent

Making found treasure more...treasurable

Post by Kent »

In our adventuring, we all have found a number of weapons, shields, and armors that have have interesting adjectives; but they seem to be all of average quality.

Considering that the mob we usually had to defeat to acquire said item is relatively difficult, it's more than likely we already had an exquisite weapon or better to defeat them with. So the item (for example, a crimson cobalt greataxe) is little better than a paperweight or prop in someone's house, or a mere hundred riln at the pawnshop. And how it's likely such tough and perhaps ancient creature would have collected something above average, I would like to submit a request that there be a chance for the item to be above average ( and a bit of a chance it be below average).

The bell curve that makes most sense to me is, on a roll of 1-100:

Roll Quality

01-08 Below Average
09-55 Average
56-82 Above Average
83-94 Exquisite
95-00 Masterful
Acarin

Re: Making found treasure more...treasurable

Post by Acarin »

I believe we've been told that qualities above average will be exclusively generated by player crafting...
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Correct. High-quality stuff is left to player crafters for the most part. Give people a choice to grind solo or interact with another PC, and they'll take the solo grind method. That's what CLOK has taught me. Thusly, we prefer to keep player crafting relevant and useful, so no high-quality automated loot.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

The thing is, obtaining the item through interaction with another player would require the interactee to be recompensed for any piece of quality, and would require a suitably skilled character with whom it makes sense to interact to be present. Grinding up the skills to provide for yourself is more time efficient in certain cases, especially if the item of interest will be due replacement every now and then.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

You don't want to get me started on the whole "I do anything and everything myself, I don't need no one for nothin'" syndrome that's rampant in CLOK.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

If it makes you feel any better, Rias, I NEED things from you.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I like the idea of relying on crafters for primary gear. Let's be honest, no one is going to be skilled at everything and I have no problem with buying the services of those who take the time to become proficient. It makes sense to have to rely on people who specialize in such things over being a jack of all trades. Also... I can't imagine an infested or animated who has been slumming it for years keeping his weapons or armor in good repair much less using something masterful.

I know this only applies to randomized loot from world-mobs so far, but what about events? We don't often have events where we have to kill something that would even have 'loot', but will potential items from GM-run events just be vanity with average quality as well or do they have the chance to be higher quality?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

@Acarin: I want people depending on their fellow player characters, not me.

@Kiyaani: Yes, events could be an exception. Semi-relatedly, just to drive people a little crazy, there's currently a few things out there requiring no GM interaction or attention at all that could lead to acquisition of items of above average quality.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

He means sales carts ;)
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Nope, but that's a good point too. There are a lot of high quality weaponry and armor on the various sales carts, but nobody ever seems to buy them.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Rias wrote:@Acarin: I want people depending on their fellow player characters, not me.
Wasn't referring to self-sufficiency. Just mechanics. I'll submit my complaints (and requested fixes) to Alexander though, if you'd like.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Rias wrote:Nope, but that's a good point too. There are a lot of high quality weaponry and armor on the various sales carts, but nobody ever seems to buy them.
Well, of course, there is a reason for that, or two.

I addressed the first reason in another post where I thought I was reporting a bug, but discovered I was going to pay 600 riln each time I needed my gauntlets repaired, instead of the expected 50.

A second reason was revealed today, where my character made a complaint on the Shadgard post board, seeking redress for false advertising + the inability to see the 'examine' stats of the item on the post board.

The Traders have to be intelligent enough to know that a bad deal for the customer is ultimately a bad deal for the Traders, too. The status quo on those Sales Carts are a bad deal for all.
Noctere

Post by Noctere »

I talked with the trader in question and he/she believes that those items were posted in good faith with their correct quality stated on the item name. I was also told that he/she would be willing to give you a full refund. I checked several of the other items on the sales cart in question and have found no other items with a mismatched quality and quality name. In fact, I have worked on that code and made sure that a non-exquisite item could not be polished up to look like one. This may not be the case with the older code or with other crafts. I also know that that there have been some recent changes to the quality system and there might be an odd bug or two lingering with some of the older items.

This could be a case of a simple mistake, like posting a used item on a sales cart by accident or a system bug. In either case, the GM staff and I have been considering updating the sales cart interface to be a little more detailed or perhaps adding a personalized message from the seller about each item.

On another note, it is possible that some traders may intentionally try to deceive you with false goods or fancy snake oils, so do be careful.
It's not easy being evil...
Orris

Post by Orris »

Whenever I see one of those rickety carts, the first thing that comes to mind is "Buyer Beware!"

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”