Silent or anonymous session

Skjotur

Silent or anonymous session

Post by Skjotur »

Someone called me by name today when I was hiding and they never saw me. While he could have guessed it based on context of what I said it got me thinking, how often do people guess who is doing something stealthy just because they know they are online at the time? It makes subterfuge really difficult. For instance if there was trouble at the coalition and my name was on the who list everyone would probably guess it was me. If someone was missing their food rations and they saw Jaster on the list they would probably assume out of all the thieves in the world it had to be Jaster. If the person wasn't on the who list they would have to try and actually find out what happened and who was responsible. There is no way to get away with anything because once someone realizes what happened, they check who is online and put it together and somehow their character magically KNOWS it was you out of all the people in the world. So what about a way to log in silently and stay off the who list?
Kiyaani

Re: Silent or anonymous session

Post by Kiyaani »

Ideally I'd like to see players treat IC and OOC correctly, but I know that is not always going to be possible. Still, I'd be sad to see empty /who lists every time I logged in because everyone wanted to remain anonymous. Besides, how would I know to pester you in tells if you were hiding? ;)
baerden

Post by baerden »

Fully agree with Skjotur here. It could look something like this...

Code: Select all

==========================

Users currently connected:

Baerden
Blitz
Crispus
Daelis
Dara
Harmony
Lun
Tavri

There are currently 8 visible users and 3 hidden users.

========================== 
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

For sure an issue I deal with 99% of the time when someone ICly calls me out.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

It's pretty obvious when you see the tag (smells of manure). *hugs*
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I pieced together it was you out of context, and unless you transformed it, I could have recognized your voice. The only time I called Jaster out on something naughty, I actually saw him.

The WHO list is a bit detrimental to sneaky players' ability to get away with things 'cause of poor OOC/IC separation, but I'm not too fond of the idea of half the WHO list being hidden, especially with the relatively small player base of CLOK. Besides, if it weren't for you showing your face on WHO every now and then, I'd thought a certain guild had gone extinct.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

I agree that having some people not appear on the who list would be more detrimental than anything. I know there are times when I have logged in to see nobody else on and then immediately logged out because I didn't feel like playing alone. I'm sure there are many other player who have had moments like that.

Most of the time I can suck it up when someone screws up with their ooc/ic separation, even when it is detrimental for my character. It's when someone is constantly doing it that ruins it for me. Honestly, there are times when I feel some people do it specifically to "target" me. That perception is a small part of why you don't see me around quite as much as I used to be (the big part is that I'm busy). Most people respect ooc/ic seperation. The issue is in a small part of the playerbase.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I'm tempted to start training stealth in secret and start getting Jaster et al. blamed for all manner of mischief people don't expect an armor-clad 7 foot giganti to be able to pull off. >_> Maybe a stealth alt to further elude the WHO-abusing masses? Ideas, ideas...
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

I'm certainly ok with being blamed for other people's mischief! I AM a high-profile criminal, after all.

But here is what usually happens:

Jaster is in Shadgard. Jaster steals ration without being seen. Ten minutes pass. Rationless player ESPs "I'LL KILL YOU JASTER YOU DIRTY THIEF!". Player has no reason to believe Jaster was in Shadgard to steal ration, other than the fact that we are the only two players on. We can assume there are any number of theives operating in the Shadgard area and it could have been any of them. Let's not even mention that the other character has never even met Jaster (whoops, too late).

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”