On-Topic OOC Channel

Alexander

On-Topic OOC Channel

Post by Alexander »

This came up a few days ago over OOC, and I had forgotten to post about it until now. I think it would be very nice to have a specific on-topic OOC channel, solely for talk about CLOK. This would be for seeking information and asking questions specifically about the game. Off-topic conversation, that is, anything not related specifically to CLOK, would be forbidden. Perhaps Mentors or other moderators could be given the ability to block troublemakers from this channel.

The subject came up due to some people expressing their distaste for frequent subject matter on the OOC channel, and the fact that more than a few have been turned off to the game because of this. I enjoy the implementation of the OOC channel as virtual anything-goes channel of communication between players to allow them to be social, but at times (disturbingly frequently for me, admittedly) I would like to just turn it off and ignore the strange, irrelevant (but distracting), or borderline offensive conversations, but at the same time I do not want to miss any CLOK-related questions or concerns that might come up that I could potentially help address.

The ideal implementation would be to have the On-Topic OOC channel on by default for new players, with the Off-Topic OOC channel disabled, but inform the players of the Off-Topic. I believe this would help cut down on the number of new players being put off of the game due to the behavior on the current OOC channel.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
Dorn

Re: On-Topic OOC Channel

Post by Dorn »

I'd definitely make use of it, and probably end up turning the chat one off.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

I would enjoy something like this. I sometimes want to turn off the regular OOC channel as well, though I don't often like to in case I miss someone asking a question.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I'm not particularly averse to the range of topics discussed on our current OOC channel, but I can see how others would be. Besides that, I think having a channel specifically dedicated to CLOK Q&A, with mentors, GMs, or really just anybody, would be good. I fully support Alexander's idea.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Yes, I have to agree with Alexander wholeheartedly here; I suspect that at least a couple of persons have exited CLOK who wouldn't otherwise have due to the content of the OOC channel when they happened to try it out.

Some MUDs I played had a NEWBIE channel on by default for new characters and mentors, and the other channels off until activated.

Or we could setup CHAT for off-topic and OOC for on-topic, maybe something like that.
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

This would be nice. Sometimes OOC is just annoying but I still am interested in talk about the game so I don't turn it off.
Barius

Post by Barius »

I belatedly support this idea immensely.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Done.

OOC is used for on-topic CLOK discussion only, and is enabled for new characters by default.

CHAT is used for off-topic discussion of anything and everything else, and is disabled for new characters by default.

Both can be toggled on or off via the options command.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Love this, but would it be possible to have a different color for CHAT? It's a bit blinding.
baerden

Post by baerden »

Kiyaani wrote:Love this, but would it be possible to have a different color for CHAT? It's a bit blinding.
Racist.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”