Consideration: minimal armor protection ratings for fabrics

Kent

Consideration: minimal armor protection ratings for fabrics

Post by Kent »

Agreed that a cotton shirt or linen pants should remain as they are, with no armor protection value.

But I would like to suggest that all fabrics thicker/heavier than corduroy provide a minimal armor protection. My character recently bought an oilcloth longcoat, currently coded to offer no protection. I have handled oilcloth coats in real life, and if you tried to stab through it, the oilcloth will indeed slow down the blade. Likewise, my character's starting boots of leather offered zero protection. Unless the leather is thin kid leather, the leather boot is going to do something to slow down an assault, even if it's just by a bit. (Aforetimes, I believe all boots had some armour protection).

Canvas, suede, leather, oilcloth, coarse or heavy wool, fleece, tweed, and so on; in real life, these are all 'stiff' enough to offer a bit of protection, so for realism's sake, I would like to see a small amount of protection coded into these fabrics.
Last edited by Kent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

But then we'd have to repair our clothes. And there are no tailors.
Kent

Post by Kent »

[quote=Kiyaani]But then we'd have to repair our clothes. And there are no tailors.[/quote]

There is at least one named tailor, in Keth.

Also, each clothing shop would, in my proposal, be the clothing equivalent of a tanner and would do repairs in like manner.

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Though for realism you are correct, for gameplay value, I don't see this as being any improvement to the current situation. Besides, the DEV's precious time is probably spent better elsewhere for the time being, if not indefinitely.
Kent

Post by Kent »

[quote=Blitz]Though for realism you are correct, for gameplay value, I don't see this as being any improvement to the current situation. Besides, the DEV's precious time is probably spent better elsewhere for the time being, if not indefinitely.[/quote]

For gameplay's sake, there are some well-designed custom clothing items that persons like Kyskie put effort into designing, but because they are coded as being as thin as a cotton T-shirt, I cannot afford to wear them in the hostile land in which our characters dwell.

In the interim, I would suggest the Tanner also mend these clothing items until clothing shops can, and Tailoring be implemented as a player skill.

Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

I could write up a long post about why this isn't going to happen and really is a tiny bit silly for some of the reasons mentioned, but it comes down to this:

It's not going to happen, sorry.
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Why don't you request a restring of a similar piece of soft leather be restung into oilcloth and use soft leather boots?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”