FLANK - a reasonable success chance to succeed on prone opponent

Lemuel

FLANK - a reasonable success chance to succeed on prone opponent

Post by Lemuel »

When I use my whip and successfully tug an opponent's leg/foot, resulting in him falling, I immediately follow up with FLANK.

This Flank attempt has either a zero or next to zero chance of success. That just don't seem right.

Could we change that to a more reasonable 40% or 50% chance of success?
- locksmith Lemuel 'I do all my own stunts.'

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Currently the system is set up so that you can't flank someone if you're the only one commanding their attention, unless you use a special ability like Blink or Flip.

If someone's down on the ground, they're already at a great disadvantage. I'm having trouble envisioning what exactly would constitue flanking someone who's sprawled out on the ground.
The lore compels me!
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

Knock somebody down, stay behind them while the get up and get the advantage then.
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

They are already at a disadvantage, does that mean they are easier to hit or take higher damage?

How about making it possible to SAP them, while they are getting to their feet, without first hiding? That seems logical.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

I would say sure, allow them to have a chance to sap them but sap while visible, even if flanked, should have an penalty as it is not a surprise, they know where you are and in such have a better chance to move, not allowing you to get a clean hit.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Slaidh

Post by Slaidh »

People who are knocked down on the ground are a lot easier to hit.
Elma exclaims, "Let a woman rest, burn you!"
Elma hurls a bolt of flame at a limping infested merchant. Fireball hits the eyeball, vaporizing it and much more.
Note: Don't bother Elma while she's resting.
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

[quote=Rias]
If someone's down on the ground, they're already at a great disadvantage. I'm having trouble envisioning what exactly would constitue flanking someone who's sprawled out on the ground.[/quote]

What confuses me as a player is the change that came out not too long ago: that if you attempt to flank an unconscious opponent, even if alone, success is at 100%. There is inconsistancy here somewhere.

hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

Lem, try something, lay down, then find somebody to walk around you, and roll around with them. You could potentially roll around fast enough to avoid flanking.
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

[quote=hadesfire]Lem, try something, lay down, then find somebody to walk around you, and roll around with them. You could potentially roll around fast enough to avoid flanking.[/quote]

True, but I could as well fail at rolling around fast enough. You missed the point, that earlier it was changed so that flanking an unconscious person was changed to be 100% successful, but in this thread it is said that a prone opponent needn't be flanked because he is already at a huge disadvantage, thus 0% success for flanking prone opponents.

I am thinking that one admin made the change to the unconscious flanking is of a different mind than Rias, who responded above.

hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

What exactly is the disadvantage? I pretty much drop down to 50 from 300 when i get tripped, but is it a percentage, or what?
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Couldn't this be fixed by unallowing flanking of a unconscious person? This would show that flanking is a team effort only. There is no gain for flanking someone with 0 defenses.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

I don't think they have 0 def, unless mobs are different, I usually lose 3/4 of my defence roll, adding flanking and i'd pretty much be done for.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

When I meant '0 defenses' I was referring to unconscious people, not people who have been knocked down. Sorry for the confusion.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I'm a bit curious about flanking from hiding actually. Is there a rationale as to why another person has to be present if a target is unaware of our presence? I understand if this is really intended to be just a benefit of group hunting and blink, but it seems that if a target has no clue that someone is there it would be reasonable to be able to flank them.

Usually the stealth pushdown would make this not really matter, but if the target has high perception (and thus is unable to be reliably ambushed) it could make a big difference. Also, does flanking decrease the defensive roll on most guild abilities? Of course, I personally am interested in cthroat and assassinate, but it would be nice to know about other abilities as well...
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Being allowed to flank from stealth would be a useful boon for those who favor the style, I think. I imagine it would require a skill roll to do so without being seen, though perhaps at a penalty to the target, as the flanker is moving around them, not directly toward them.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”