Player armor look simplification

Jaren

Player armor look simplification

Post by Jaren »

I was wondering if there was some way to simplify armor. It's kinda annoying to look at someone and have to read a small novel just to get an idea of what they look like. Here is what I was thinking.

This is how it looks now:
He is about six feet tall and appears to be in the prime of life. He has straight long black hair. His face is concealed by an ice-coated blackened bronze greathelm. His skin is pale and his body's build is average.
He is holding an ice-barbed rusted scythe in his left hand.
He is wearing an ice-coated blackened bronze greathelm, an ice-coated blackened bronze gorget, a blackened bronze breastplate, a black oilcloth satchel, a black many-pocketed canvas backpack, some blackened bronze vambraces, some ice-coated blackened bronze gauntlets, some ice-coated blackened bronze greaves strapped over a pair of fitted leather trousers bound with a leather utility belt with a black canvas pouch, a gray canvas pouch, a leather haft-frog and a tarnished bronze blacksmith's hammer attached to it and some toe-spiked blackened bronze sabatons.
If we could buy some sort of armor simplification mod from a merchant or something, it could look like this:
He is about six feet tall and appears to be in the prime of life. He has straight long black hair. His face is concealed by an ice-coated blackened bronze greathelm. His skin is pale and his body's build is average.
He is wearing a suit of blackened bronze armor, a black oilcloth satchel, a black many-pocketed canvas backpack, a leather utility belt with a black canvas pouch, a gray canvas pouch, a leather haft-frog and a tarnished bronze blacksmith's hammer attached to it.
This would not make those items disappear but rather hide them under one name. So if you typed look jaren armor you would see the complete list of the armor he is wearing. You could also still type look jaren gauntlets and see the description for his gauntlets.

It would be nice to have these items scripted so you could go to a store and purchase what armor mod best describes what you are wearing. There would be some restrictions of course.
Last edited by Jaren on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
Winston Zeddmore
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I really like this idea. Some items do have individual scripting if you look at them and that's really cool, but it's still a lot to read a whole outfit instead of just person is wearing a suit - especially if it's all plate armor of the exact same type. This might also help with line length for battles too. I have a fitted dark leather breastplate with intricate thorned tooling along the trim which is all well and good, but can be a mouthful to read every time.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

This would make me start playing again... So you might not want to add it. Or maybe? No idea.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

Jaren is right on the money, his idea would improve the game, if implemented.

I don't understand his last sentence, though - I may not need to, though.
Last edited by Lemuel on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- locksmith Lemuel 'I do all my own stunts.'

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

[quote=Kiyaani]I have a fitted dark leather breastplate with intricate thorned tooling along the trim[/quote]

...and adorned with ancient glowing blood-crimson Rhuidim death runes that pulsate with every beat of your heart.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Huh... must have missed that in the description. =P
Kent

Re: Player armor look simplification

Post by Kent »

Jaren wrote:I was wondering if there was some way to simplify armor. It's kinda annoying to look at someone and have to read a small novel just to get an idea of what they look like. Here is what I was thinking....

If we could buy some sort of armor simplification mod from a merchant or something, it could look like this:
He is wearing a suit of blackened bronze armor, a black oilcloth satchel, a black many-pocketed canvas backpack, a leather utility belt with a black canvas pouch, a gray canvas pouch, a leather haft-frog and a tarnished bronze blacksmith's hammer attached to it.
This would not make those items disappear but rather hide them under one name. So if you typed look jaren armor you would see the complete list of the armor he is wearing. You could also still type look jaren gauntlets and see the description for his gauntlets.
I would have to categorize this as 'The best idea ever for Clok not yet implemented'

- K.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”