Request for Clok MUSHclient plugin - contents of right and left hand

Lemuel

Request for Clok MUSHclient plugin - contents of right and left hand

Post by Lemuel »

For the designers of the custom clok mushclient, a request/suggestion for the little pluginstats window in the upper right:

I would say the best thing that could be added would be what your character is holding in his right hand and left hand.

If in adding the hand contents, something needs to be taken out due to space constraints, I might suggest the name of one's Guild could be taken out with no great loss to anyone
- locksmith Lemuel 'I do all my own stunts.'

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

My netbook is already lacking in screen real estate! Why don't you know what you're holding, anyway? Lol.
Speaking to Garith, you exclaim, "Ban' baaan'!"
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

I've considered something like this in the past but the main problem 'like Jaster said' is screen space. I need to keep in mind that this plugin will be used on MANY different sized screens so I need to keep it as compact as possible while still being easy to read at a glance. It would just be too much to show someones "masterfully crafted dark steel longsword with a glowing runed hilt and blackened iron tower shield with the crest of an closed fist".

One possible compromise might be to just show which hands are empty or full like this:
L: 0, R: 0
or
L: 1, R: 0
or
L: 1, R: 1
or
L: 0, R: 1
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
Winston Zeddmore
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

Jaren, if space is a factor, I think taking out the guild and showing the only first 12 or 15 characters of the item held would be sufficient for 98% of the time.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

Using 12 to 15 characters each would become,

(from the example I used earlier)
"masterfully c, blackened iro"
Now what if you had a masterfully crafted black iron shield instead? Then it would become,
"masterfully c, masterfully c"
If I were to replace "Rank 6 of the Rook Parlour" (26 characters) with "masterfully c, masterfully c" (28 characters) things could get funky. Granted this could work if you had something like "iron longsword, iron shield" (27 characters) but it would only work in cases where you need less than 30 characters across and even then you are likely to run into problems both from an aesthetic and mechanical standpoint.

Also from a gameplay standpoint, I have not found much difficulty knowing what is in my hands most of the time. On occasion, I have had my weapon out, by accident, when I wanted to have a polite conversation but that is rare. Perhaps something like the above option I listed earlier or a new feature that let's you know with "look" if someone is armed. Kinda like in skyrim where NPCs will act differently towards you depending if you have your weapon drawn or not.

Edit: After I wrote this, I had a few other thoughts.
#1 To quickly see your whole inventory you can just type "i".
#2 With the introduction of the new repair system it might become needful to keep a closer eye on your gear. I'll put an extra inventory window on my to do list and see how it turn out. I might even put a fancy graphic with different colors for damage severity. We'll see...
Last edited by Jaren on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston Zeddmore
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

Perhaps the last part of the item, not the first, should be shown, thus, a masterfully crafted black iron shield would appear as merely,

iron shield

and I think in 95+% of the cases, the players would find this sufficient information.

Tian

Post by Tian »

An issue with that is it is not set by words but by characters from my understanding.
Landion

Post by Landion »

glance

Your hands are empty.
Just in case you weren't aware.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

The command HANDS works likewise:

hands

Your hands are empty.

Jaren

Post by Jaren »

Still fighting for this one eh? I think this plugin would be more of a Lemuel special order as opposed to a game wide request. In that case, have you ever thought about learning to make your own from scratch? Or just modify one of my plugins and make it work for you. Might be a good project for ya and you can learn alot

A few tips:
- Make a timer that sends GLANCE every 10 seconds and have one of my plugins pick up the information, omit (remove) it from your screen and place it in your new window. (careful not to make the timer much faster than that or Rias will melt your face off for spamming commands into the server)
- Much of my code was copy and pasted from this guy, plus this tutorial would be PERFECT for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5jXqHOn7L0
- In fact, you can just follow this tutorial step by step and have exactly what you want via an alias command.
Winston Zeddmore
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

[quote=Jaren]Still fighting for this one eh? I think this plugin ...[/quote]

No, not fighting anymore since I discovered the HANDS command, and figured out I could make triggers that send HANDS everytime I GET or REMOVE an item, so life has been smooth as far as hands content is concerned. I figured out also to create easy aliases set up using the numbers 1 through 9 that gets an assortment of weapons and double-digit of same puts the weapon away; i.e. 5 sends GET LONGSWORD and 55 sends PUT LONGSWORD IN BALDRIC
// HANDS

Still, I will give that video a watch, and thanks for sharing, J.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”