Dragging

Xzean

Dragging

Post by Xzean »

Is there any way we could have it so not just dead people but unconscious people can be dragged? It doesn't make too terribly much sense that we can't. Make it some sort of test/check to do it, but I currently can't sleep someone/thing and drag them to my lair for ebil experiments. It is depressing.
"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy." `Steven Weinburg
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

This is on the to-do list. It has some nasty complications code-wise, but it'll be possible soonish.
The lore compels me!
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

While I'm at it, kneel command plz k thx.
"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy." `Steven Weinburg
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

Will there be a way to escape from being dragged around? I'm not sure it'd be fun for everyone to be dragged around and be made to sit through roleplay where they can't respond.
The Rig-Jarl Bjorn gives you a bone-crushing bearhug.
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

So you don't think you should be able to my dragged around when not conscious? Cuse...that doesn't make much sense at all.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Or, she's saying that it's unfair to force someone to sit through roleplay that 1.) They may be uncomfortable with or 2.) that they can't respond to.

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't find the prospect of sitting while people drag me off and poke me with sticks to be terribly entertaining.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

It may not be, but it is roleplay. Just like you shouldn't log off during active pvp. I don't see this as any different.
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

One sided RP, RP shouldn't be forced on someone, ever.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

There comes a point where justifying things for the sake of "roleplay" doesn't overcome the fact that it's a game at the end of the day. Coding in things that make a person miserable (IE forcing them into roleplay they may or may not be comfortable with) shouldn't be done.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

Well there could always be a flag like GS/DR has.
Landion

Post by Landion »

I understand both sides of the debate, and abuse of this mechanic is something which we would certainly keep an eye on, and possibly a flag as well.

However, we have wanted to have people be able to be dragged while unconscious for a while now. Not only will this allow you to save your friends in a bad situation, but it will also provide for some RP opportunities.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

What do you mean by a flag?
Lae

Post by Lae »

In GS if you want someone to NOT drag you, you can type group closed and nobody can move you.
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

DR actually had a setting/flag where you could be undragable or not.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

The way dragging worked on the last MUD Evelyn and I played was that one had to be unconscious (which meant at below zero HP), and then could be tied up. This would effectively keep the person below 0 HP so they could not do anything but emote and do says.

However, there was a way out called Desperate. It was essentially a way for your character to make a desperate escape. Once used, it incurs a penalty of experience and fame (which we don't have either of), but it allowed a person to escape (at a penalty) if there was something going on that the person did not feel comfortable with, or in case someone got ambushed on the way to logging out (as one could only log out in specific places on that game).

That's why, more or less, we bring up the point of being dragged around unable to respond, and unable to escape (even at a penalty), might not be 1.)enjoyable and 2.)great for the game itself.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

I actually very much like the system you described.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

It was one of the better things on the game, however I'm not sure it would translate well. Partially because we aren't experienced based and nor is there fame, and partially because on that game the death mechanics were completely different.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”