Blighters

KianTheArcher

Blighters

Post by KianTheArcher »

Though disease and sickness have been around as long as life has, the active study of of the Blighters (as they call themselves) is a recent endeavor. Where the members of Tse Gaiyan seek to erradicate "unnatural plague and disease", the Blighters seek to study and embrace fungi, disease, plague, and what many would call corruption. A society forced into secrecy by the very nature of their studies, they are often looked down upon moreso than members of the Rook Parlour. For where the Rooks simply study nether, a dangerous but controllable substance, the Blighters study an aspect of nature that is often as unpredictable as lightning or a wildfire.

The Blighters was originally formed by a Nuum going by the name of Naji, who thought the way to saving humanity was through embracing disease and rot, rather than looking for a way to combat it. Well known to have studied both cryomancy and sorcery, he was overall adverse to the actual causing of death directly. Instead, he saw the use of disease and corruption as a way to both weed out those too weak to survive, as well as a defense against those who disagreed with his extreme view.

Exiled from Nuum, he traveled into the Northern mountains where he discovered a shrine to the very rot and decay he was so obsessed with. Within this shrine, to an unnamed Deity of the Old Pantheon, he discovered lost Arts. Eschewing his Sorcery and Cryomancy for the rest of his short, but natural, life Naji took up this new magic, something he titled Ordealing/Malading/Infirming/Trialing/Afflicting/Scourging. It allows the Blighter to, much in the way the Udemi can connect with the spirit of Gaea, connect with a more perverse entity. A spirit dedicated purely to disease, decay, and rot. Through the Caster, this Unnamed Entity works it's will and powers, bringing out unnatural plagues and epidemics.

While the Resen seems like it would be synonymous, it is widely believed to have developed separately of the Blighters. It is also believed that before Naji met his death he had become partially infected with the Resen.

Essentially, I had this idea in my head as a sort of "opposite" to the Tse Gaiyan. Where the Tse Gaiyan's goal is to root out unnatural disease and corruption, the Blighters seek to embrace it, and even create and spread it. It's a fairly rough idea, but I thought I would post it up anyways, in the hopes that it might draw a bit of interest.

I know there are already a large number of Magic Guilds, and I wouldn't expect this to be put it any time soon. But if it fits the overall theme/direction of the game, it would be something neat to have on the backburners for later on.
Last edited by KianTheArcher on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

I played a sorcerer like this in the OTHER game... love the idea.
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Here comes the Wyrm...

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”