Newbie helpers/mentors

Evelyn
Mentor

Newbie helpers/mentors

Post by Evelyn »

So, I was thinking be nice to have newbie helpers or mentors as such, I don't think you should get any rewards for helping but this could be a role for helping out newbies IC and OOCly. So the new people know who is a helper, they could have different colored names or a title or some such. Just an idea I had. :)
Last edited by Evelyn on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Rig-Jarl Bjorn gives you a bone-crushing bearhug.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

I think it should be linked to the guilds some how, a way of knowing who else is in your guild and how they rank compared to you.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

An OOC mentor group (and perhaps a small area they could use for OOC mentoring and such) is a spiffy idea.

As far as guild stuff, I've seen several cases where members of some guilds don't want it to be known that they're members of said guilds, even to other members of their own guilds. If you want to find another guild member, it's easy enough to just ask, or hang around your guild area and see who else comes by. Guilds could possibly sell some identifying symbols or pins or whatever is appropriate for those who want to clearly proclaim their membership.
The lore compels me!
Lae

Post by Lae »

Mentoring is probably one of my favorite things to do. I am still a member of a mentor society in another game and the only reason I haven't quit completely is because I train mentors there and I love what I do. I would *love* to see people taking the bull by the horns and stepping up to help new people. A person is more likely to stay if they have someone who they don't feel like they're being pesty with if they ask questions.
Last edited by Lae on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

[quote=Rias]As far as guild stuff, I've seen several cases where members of some guilds don't want it to be known that they're members of said guilds, even to other members of their own guilds.[/quote]
Would it be possible to have it based on whether they are showing their guild in their profile?
-> put meat in pan
You can't put anything inside the pants.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Try profile guildrank to display your guild rank in your profile.

You're not going to instantly know someone's in your guild just by looking at them, though. Just like you don't know what someone's race is just by looking at them (though you can make an educated guess by noting their features).
The lore compels me!
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

No, I meant in a purely mechanical sense. As an example and only as an example, going up to a guild master and asking them for a list of current guild members, but it only lists players who have made their guild viewable in profile.
-> put meat in pan
You can't put anything inside the pants.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I think that would be fine, Reynard. I think I may have missed or misunderstood the original request regarding guilds, though. Can someone restate it for me so I know what exactly is being asked for?

Getting back to a mentor group: Yes. It will be super cool. Please post suggestions as to what a functioning mentor society would need! We'll probably make minimal, if any, effort to make it IC. Newbie mentoring requires a lot of OOC information and discussion, don't want to make people feel like they have to try and dance around that. Hence a mentor area that's all OOC that mentors can access and bring people to.
The lore compels me!
Lae

Post by Lae »

The mentor group in that "other" place is very large and has more than I think anyone really needs. The basics, which I think we could benefit with here, would be a room where you could be OOC and discuss the game. A place where newbies could find gear, all kinds of gear. Some containers for armor, weapons and just regular clothing (this is more important than some people might think). Make it so that once a certain amount of time passes that they can't access the free things anymore. It's all well and good to have the resources available but the last thing you want is for someone to take advantage of the items or sell them for profit. Lastly volunteers, people who don't mind taking the time to sit down with someone and explain the things that people might not pick up right away. Everything from guildmasters and where they can be found, benefits from each guild and benefits from not being being in a guild. The last thing is the most important. People who are patient and understanding and don't get flustered easily are the best for this kind of work.
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Another important trait I'd look for in mentors is the ability to admit you don't know something. If you're not sure of something, it's much better to say as much than to provide information that may be incorrect. Not that it's bad to say "I think it works this way," as long as you make it clear that you are not certain and that you'll find out and let them know when you do.
The lore compels me!
Lae

Post by Lae »

[quote=Rias]Another important trait I'd look for in mentors is the ability to admit you don't know something. If you're not sure of something, it's much better to say as much than to provide information that may be incorrect. Not that it's bad to say "I think it works this way," as long as you make it clear that you are not certain and that you'll find out and let them know when you do.[/quote]

This.

You can't know everything, nobody does, but if you're willing to look for the answers and ask people who might know then you'll help a lot more.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Hmm. As far as the WHO list, what about onduty and offduty commands that would toggle your mentorship title and color code. onduty could also send a game-wide message (like that "other" game) saying "Mentor Lae is now on duty and willing to help people with out-of-character mentoring and advice", only more eloquent. Maybe it'd zap the mentor to the special mentor room from anywhere. It wouldn't be useable when under attack, and you'd get into trouble for abusing it (like using it as a way to escape or meet people to exchange items or something). offduty would send you back to wherever you zapped in from.
The lore compels me!
Lae

Post by Lae »

That's a pretty awesome idea, now where would you hide the Mentor room, but still have it (relatively) easy to find.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Hrm. Probably multiple entrances, one in each town/outpost. It'd keep track of where you entered from, so when you exited, it'd send you back to the appropriate place.

Or maybe just have a command that can only be used in specific areas. When a mentor goes on duty, it says something like "As long as you are in a town or outpost, you can use the mentorme command to go to the OOC mentor area." So a character uses that, gives messaging to people in the initial room that "Rias just wandered off" or something vague like that, and puts the person in the mentor room. Then there would just be a standard "out" direction and when the person goes out, it sends them back to wherever they used the mentorme command from.
The lore compels me!
Lae

Post by Lae »

That sounds pretty awesome!
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

I like these ideas a lot! <3
Last edited by Evelyn on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Okay, just have the basics so far. Players can use the mentor command by itself to see the subcommands and what they do (they'll likely be expanded at some point, there are only a few at the moment).

Evelyn and Lae, you two get to be our fabulous mentor testers. You're both set as mentors, so "(Mentor)" will show up next to your names in the WHO list. There's a mentor subcommand to toggle a mask that hides your mentorhood, if you ever want to for some reason. If you use your mentor command to be on-duty, you'll be zapped over to the Mentor Room, and "(on duty)" will show up next to your name in the WHO list. At the time you go on-duty, a game-wide message will announce it to all players, including info on how players can get to the Mentor Room to partake of your light and wisdom.

Let me know what else I can do to accommodate!
The lore compels me!
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

Wow, you did a great job! :) Love love this.
Lae

Post by Lae »

Super pie Mentors....activate!
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I think I'd make a great mentor too Rias! Does cthroat work in the new mentor area?
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Jhieger

Post by Jhieger »

People have been real helpful already within the first few minutes. I think I'm going to like it here.
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

:) Welcome to Clok, I hope you will love here as much as I do!
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

I'd like to recommend Lysse for mentor, she seems very helpful and is always willing to give advice and that. So if she is willing I think she would make a super mentor! :)
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I would be interested as well, if we are allowed to volunteer ourselves.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

Of course you can volunteer, I'd love you to have you on the team, and be our first male mentor! :)

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”