Sparring

Kiyaani

Sparring

Post by Kiyaani »

Would it be possible to implement a way to safely spar with fellow players of the same guild or faction to hone your skills without risk of actually killing them? It seems like something most guilds would encourage for their members to practice with each other and learn from each other.

I believe this would also open up some decent RP opportunities and allow players to build more unity within their guilds/faction by learning about their fellows in action. It might also promote more group adventuring in general.

Of course there would need to be a limit on this so it wasn't exploited - maybe a set skill number limit, skill percent gain or just time frame you can do it in. Anyway, just a thought.
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

Isn't that what practice weapons are for?
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

You can still kill someone with a practice weapon. And that limits you to using that weapon. I mean being able to use your full range of abilities to truly spar.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Like Rithiel said, this is what practice weapons are for. If you're using your full range of abilities, there's a chance of lethality just as if you were using your full range of abilities against a hostile.

I've seen a few folks who spar, and it's manageable as long as you're careful and don't use your high-damage weapons/attacks. I don't see a way to justify having an attack not be lethal just because you determined you were sparring instead of going for the kill. If you stab someone in the eye or hit them in the head with a lightning bolt, chances are good they're going to die, intended or not.
The lore compels me!
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Generally when truly sparring you stop yourself before you stab the opponent in the eye. There would have to be a check system to stop your blows from making contact if they would be fatal which, in reality, may be impossible to code. But it would still be cool to be able to do this type of sparring to test each other. As it stands now, it's possible to brawl with others, but there's always the chance you'll accidentally crit them in a sensitive area, even when using aim. Anyway, just a thought like I said =D Thanks for at least discussing it.
Landion

Post by Landion »

Maybe we could add some sparring gloves and boots that lower damage when brawling, or make it so your position doesn't increase your damage nearly so much?
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

That would be awesome. Obviously I'm not planning to use assassinate on someone while sparring. But being able to play around with shadow step or other guild abilities would be fun. If you do the gloves, maybe we can have IC boxing matches ;)

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”