Tree Farms

hadesfire

Tree Farms

Post by hadesfire »

Since miners have their mines I was wondering if loggers could have tree farms, it would essentially be a room that gave loggers a place to grow seeds they can buy or harvest, the seeds would grow and the land would have to be prepared before other areas could grow trees, the trees would take some time to grow and have to be replanted every once in a while, and watered, and fertalized.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

There aren't player-owned farms of any kind at the moment, exception of certain persons who completed RP events and obtained it through hardwork, I.E. Evelynn. I would enjoy seeing player owned farms for growing crops and the like and I support your tree farm idea.

However, trees take forever to grow in reality. Like hundreds of years. I don't really see how this would pan out, since I assume the forests of the wilderness are like super enchanted or something lol.
I have nothing productive to say, therefore, I must be heard!
Landion

Post by Landion »

The Western Coalition has a tree farm that is available to Traders who perchase a permit. At this time, that is the only plans I have for having a tree farm as I'm not sure how realistic having a player tree farm would be.

Tree farms typically span many thousands of acres and take decades to prepare, turn over, plant, etc. (There's a few I've seen that are pretty impressive. Far larger than the little christmas tree farms you occasionally see.)

Player farms could be interesting.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Players can already set up their own farms. Go out to a plains area in the wilderness and start tilling. Just like mines, you have to trust that other people aren't going to go and raid them. A good idea would be to set one up somewhere out-of-the-way where people are going to be unlikely or unwilling to travel out to it. Evelyn has a small little plot that's "hers" that she got due to her roleplay and an event, but there's nothing mechanically special about it - just a sign saying it's hers, and the possibility that the scarecrows might intervene if they notice someone other than Evelyn working there (which is not automated - it would be GM-controlled). It's nothing like "You can't farm here, because you aren't the owner."

We're already stretching things by having farm crops grow in mere hours. Even with our fudging things for playability, I don't think a player-made tree farm is realistic. There are already tons of trees out there anyway - there's certainly no shortage. If rarer tree types become closer to markets and more easily-accessible due to tree farms, they'll then become more common, and their prices will lower, which I think would defeat the purpose, anyway.
The lore compels me!
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

Well, could we then have a difficult area that gives the rare tree types that the Traders already get? I don't know of a place but it seems kind of weird that the trees only grow in one spot, having special trees growing in difficult to reach places could really help.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

There are areas that trees like yew, maple, and birch grow in that are fairly dangerous/difficult already.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

oh, awesome, where are they?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Get a horse, mount up, and go explore!
The lore compels me!