IC identities and player name

Blair

IC identities and player name

Post by Blair »

It would be more interesting to be not be able to know another person's name unless revealed by a third party or that person him/herself. In IC situation, I find it funny that I already know a complete's stranger's name without any prior knowledge of that person. When Lord Sceptus appeared before me, the correct response should have been, "who the hell are you?". But instead, I thought, "woah, it's Lord Sceptus." So much for the introductions, I already know who I'm conversing with. Doesn't matter if the person is shrouded. Obscuring a person's identity when his/her face is obscured would add a lot more depth to the game.
Lae

Post by Lae »

If nobody introduced themselves I'd be conversing with a half-dozen humanoid people and my brain would explode.

Ouch.
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

Classic MUD problem. I haven't seen a MUD where it was done properly. It just takes a bit of imagination and personal restraint.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

I've suggested it before, where there's an Introduction system.

Essentially, you have a short description that shows up if someone doesn't know your name, chosen by the player based on what looks the character has that you want to stand out, something along the lines of...

A tall man with green eyes.

At this point, everyone who does not know your name knows you as that. Until you introduce yourself, or if someone hears your name and remembers you via "Remember <blah> as <name>".

On top of that, it might be handy if you could also describe people, so people could describe a known bandit to other PCs so they know what to look for, or describe what Ardor looks like so that the person in question can know him on sight to place an order.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Landion

Post by Landion »

I don't see this working very well. Even if race and a few descriptive qualities were included, it would still be quite confusing.

A man says, "Hey, he stole from me!"

A man points at a man.

A man says, "No wai, it was him!"

A man points at a man.

A man blinks.

A man swears.

A man says, "What are you talking about?"

A man says, "Are you sure?"

A man frowns.

A man mutters, "I'm so confused."

Also here: A man, a man, a man, a man, an ugly man or maybe a woman, we're not sure.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Elizamor

Post by Elizamor »

A bearded man with ingrown toenails....
I'm a thief, it's what I do.
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

I played a MUD called Threshold that uses this exact system.
"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy." `Steven Weinburg
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

i'd rather just pretend i don't know a character's name the first time i meet them than deal with an introduction system
Speaking to Garith, you exclaim, "Ban' baaan'!"
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

The only reason I like introduction based systems is so I don't forget whether I've met someone or not. xD
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”