Mummer abilities suggestions!

Lun
CLOK Patron

Mummer abilities suggestions!

Post by Lun »

I'm aware that you guys are working on a new psionic guild known as the Mummers, and I'm not aware of any of the details. I'm not sure if mum's the word, but here's a list of cool ideas that I came up with!
For simplicity, assume gender of mummer is male. I'm too lazy to type him or her right now.

limited precognition (passive): When a mummer is channeling telekinesis, he is granted limited precognition, allowing him to dodge and land strikes more effectively.

astral projection: Allows a mummer to send his spirit away from his body, rendering it unconscious. While in spirit form, only other mummers can see the spirit. Player is granted full control of spirit, and has reduced travel time. Can be used to scout out areas.

energy shield: Mummer creates a field that repels or slows incoming attacks.

thoughtform projection: The mummer crafts a physically perceived person, animal, creature, object, ghostly entity, etc., and projects it into three-dimensional space, creating something observable to others.

And now for the combat c-c-c-combos!
Mental push: Mummer focuses on implanting an idea into targets mind, namely that of hitting himself. If successful, target hits himself. (Favorite idea. I really want to see this happen. "Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself")

Resonate: Mummer causes enemy's weapon to vibrate rapidly, causing the opponent to drop the weapon. Disarm!
Last edited by Lun on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have nothing productive to say, therefore, I must be heard!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I don't know if I'd say "psionic", just because I think that gives an impression of POOOOWWWERRRRR!

Ahem. Mummers are going to be more subtle, and more a roleplay/non-combat guild. Most of their abilities can still affect combat, but that's not their primary purpose. Combat effectiveness would be mainly in the form of disabling enemies (confusing them, scaring them, making them sleepy) and inspiring group members both with their own abilities, and by enhancing the abilities of others (one Mummer ability increases the effectiveness of other group members' shouts, chants, things like that).

Their form of channeling won't give them any way to directly physically affect things, so stuff like the energy shield is out. They simply affect the minds of others, in a fairly subtle way (rather than something as direct as, say, mind control).

To give you an idea of their feel, here are a few sneak peeks:

Sample Task: Perform (sing, play instrument, or tell a story) in an inn/tavern/(similar). As you perform, read the reactions of your audience and adjust the mood and feel of your performance accordingly to try and get the best reaction out of them at the end (choosing from elements like Tragedy, Comedy, Adventure, Combat, Romance, Morality, Immorality, Horror, Wonder, etc.). If you do well, they'll cheer and tip you with riln, and you get lots of guild points. If you do poorly, they'll throw food at you and you don't get many guild points.

Wonder: Channel the raw emotion of wonder into your target's mind. Mesmerizes.

Horror: Channel the raw emotion of horror into your target's mind. Causes fear effects.

Mindfog: Dull the mind of your target, reducing all their skills by 10%-50% (randomized per skill).

Inspiring Tale: Just like the task above, you begin telling a tale, and choose which emotions/elements to put into it. Anyone present for the tale's entirety will receive skill bonuses appropriate to what you decided to put into your tale. Combat actions would interrupt a character's listening, hence if you wanted to inspire combat capability with an epic war tale of how a ragged outnumbered band managed to defeat the opposing massive army, you'd have to tell the tale before combat as a way of preparing your group members, not during combat like, say, a D&D bard.

Amplifying Anthems: Accompany mental effects with a sort of "mental music" appropriate to the effect's related emotions, increasing their effect. Affects the mummer's own abilities (like Wonder and Horror above, and obviously Inspiring Tale will be particularly boosted by this ability) as well as those of group members (Dwaedn shouts, Templar chants).

So you could say they're, uh ... telepathic bards!
The lore compels me!
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

Aw, shucks. So no telling someone to hit themselves? A pity, but a new support class would be nice!
I have nothing productive to say, therefore, I must be heard!
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

Rias if you haven't read the Mistborn trilogy, I suggest it. One of the "magics" is pushing and pulling on emotions. It would be fantastic inspiration if you need any.

http://mistborn.wikia.com/wiki/Bronze

http://mistborn.wikia.com/wiki/Zinc
"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy." `Steven Weinburg
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Shrill note -
An aimed high pitched tone that causes tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Results in the target being unable to hear other players speaking.
Last edited by Acarin on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Xzean: I haven't, but now I'm going to have to. Thanks.

Acarin: That might be nifty for Utasa, who have more direct control over sound. Mummers have no extraordinary sound/musical qualities other than those anyone might achieve through dedicated singing/musical instrument practice. They focus on emotions and the mind, when it comes to supernatural abilities.
The lore compels me!
Landion

Post by Landion »

Mmm, Brandon Sanderson is an excellent author. I need to read those books still too. I keep eyeing them but have yet to pick them up yet.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Landion

Post by Landion »

Shrill note should also cause any canim or canine critters to either attack you, or flee in pain. Haha.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I'd be more than willing to test out that mechanic Landion.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

[quote=Landion]Mmm, Brandon Sanderson is an excellent author. I need to read those books still too. I keep eyeing them but have yet to pick them up yet.[/quote]

Every. Single. Book. He writes pure gold, seriously. The Mistborn trilogy is excellent but I like Warbreaker and Elantris, following by The Way of Kings as his best.
"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy." `Steven Weinburg

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”