Better name for chain mail foot armor.

Kent

Better name for chain mail foot armor.

Post by Kent »

I bought some crafted chain mail foot armor from an artisan and it came out as 'steel chainmail boots'.

As this game has been pretty good up until now as to using the Norman French-derived names for armor, I would like to suggest that this piece of mail be renamed to fit in with the rest of the pieces.

I am requesting the noun 'solleret' be used for chain foot protection, see https://www.yourdictionary.com/solleret

Plural is 'sollerets'.

And if it can't be sollerets, then I reckon even sabatons would go better with chausses than 'boots' would.

Cheers.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Bryce

Re: Better name for chain mail foot armor.

Post by Bryce »

Chain foot armor always make me think of something like this:
chainsocks.jpg
chainsocks.jpg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
Which I could absolutely see Kent wearing.

(For VI folks: The picture is of a foot cozily ensconced in what appears to be something like a chainmail sock.)
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Sollerets sound more like scale armor based on the description. Should chain footwear even be a thing?
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Tenoji

Post by Tenoji »

Chain footwear is a thing, but I wouldn't say a common thing (Not going to pretend like I'm an armor historian). Think leather-boots lined with chainmail. I don't think chainmail footwear was ever combined with heavy plate though. My question would more-so be, what would be the reasoning for chainmail footwear to exist lore-wise if at all.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Jirato wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:31 pm Sollerets sound more like scale armor based on the description. Should chain footwear even be a thing?

I tried to find medaeval chain armor (for feet) on Google but can't say I located anything. Maybe you're right...maybe there shouldn't be chain footwear as there is no historical precedent.

Perhaps we could change the noun of the scale mail footwear to sollerets, and have the chain mail warriors choose between them or leather boots, as was likely the historic case?
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”