An alternate name for mithril?

Kent

An alternate name for mithril?

Post by Kent »

The mithril that was introduced recently is kind of a cool new thing, except the use of the name just doesn't sit right with me. When I see "mithril", I think more a Lord of the Rings game or a D & D MUD.

Is there a way we could keep the metal but come up with an alternate name, so as to protect the distinct flavor of our beloved CLOK world, please and thank you?
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Delve

Re: An alternate name for mithril?

Post by Delve »

Well, there's Sunsteel and Riversteel. Maybe since this one is lighter it could be Windsteel or something air related.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Delve wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:26 pm Well, there's Sunsteel and Riversteel. Maybe since this one is lighter it could be Windsteel or something air related.
Windsteel sounds good, yes.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Maeriwyn

Post by Maeriwyn »

Call it... silksteel!
Shainar

Post by Shainar »

Is it ferrous? If not, then I wouldn't give it a -steel name. You could use the less common and less jarring name it was given from the source that inspired it, and call it truesilver. Or, just make things up: zephyrite, silverblende, antiburdenium (antibur for short).

Edit: Just looked it up, and apparently it is ferrous.
Last edited by Shainar on Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delve

Post by Delve »

It is ferrous.

From the wiki -- "Mithril
Also known as, “Silver Steel” or “True Silver” this metal has long been sought after for it’s property of being as hard as steel yet somehow lighter. It has often been compared to celestium given it’s shine when polished and it’s ferrous nature but it always retains it iconic silvery color no matter how the metal is treated. First discovered by the Giganti of the Sirak Drauth coastal region who believed it to be a gift from the mountain father, it was prized amongst the great warriors for its ability to forge even greater sized weaponry that could be wielded with ease yet make the wielder appear even stronger than they were. It should be noted that despite it’s weight it has been known to be less durable than other similar metals. "

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”