Degrades for leather repaired items too severe

Kent

Degrades for leather repaired items too severe

Post by Kent »

It took me a long time to finally produce a masterfully crafted pair of fur gauntlets (it is substantially rarer than masterworked in metal) and they got scuffed. Not battered or damaged, merely scuffed. I have a rather high skill in leather working.

I repaired them, and they degraded not just one level, but three levels down to average. As I mentioned, I have a high leathercrafting skill and I wasn't wearing armor when I did this.

Needless to say, this was a sour game experience. I consider this unfair on three levels:

(1) It shouldn't be rather unlikely for a character with high leathercrafting skill to produce masterworked product when starting with pristine pelts, but it is.

(2) What should be rather unlikely is for a merely scuffed item to downgrade at all in the hands of a master leathercrafter, but in fact it is common. I get it if I wait for it to become 'damaged', but scuffed means surface abrasions.

(3) If and when said item degrades, it should degrade only one quality level, which is the case in metal repairs. In leather, anything that degrades, even masterful, degrades all the way down to average.

GMs, please make this system into one that is fairer.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
artus

Re: Degrades for leather repaired items too severe

Post by artus »

I've had a talk with Kent prier to my decision to post this. I don't know how much of a priority repair code is for the gm team right now but guess I'd better point it out anyway.
The first point is for the incident that can occur to leather repair which from how he described was pretty whoa, since it dropped drastically from masterful to average in an instance of repair when the condition wasn't even that severe. I don't know how many of the majority experience this problem right now, but if it has a chance to happen, it may not be good for stuff that are hard to make like masterful leathercrafted or forged items. I can understand the degrading of druidrically repaired wood but in the case of leather and metal which are way harder to make, it's just ouch.
The second point is, I don't know if this is a bug or not. At one point, I sent my superior falchion in good repair state to the repair shop because after some use, it can be repaired anyway even when not scuffed. But then when I got it back from the repair shop, bing! The quality dropped to above average. It wasn't even broken in the first place and people kept telling me repair shops didn't degrade items. They did, actually.
For these two points I made, I would like to ask for consideration and a bit of readjustment or having the repair code looked into. It seems a bit wonky right now tbh. Thank you in advance for this ,and thank you gm team as a whole for always making clok great.
[CHAT - Event Staff Uyoku likes NOM NOM NOM food]: You are holding a pepper-grilled Uyoku in your right hand.
This GM has been peppered and grillef over an open flame to a juicy perfection.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”