Departing in a Retrieval Room

Dorn

Departing in a Retrieval Room

Post by Dorn »

Can the person still get raised as if where they were?

AKA, depart in a Rook Retrieval Room, you get Rook raised. Depart in a Soul Beacon Room, and if you're able you're Monk raised.

Still get the depart penalty, but get the associated hit of the Rook hit. Considering departing is supposed to be someone finding our corpse and dragging us away (under most circumstances), it seems a bit odd to be that you can depart to avoid a Rook Retrieval.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Fayne

Re: Departing in a Retrieval Room

Post by Fayne »

Maybe there could be a way to randomly add Rook Retrieval effects to departures? That way even those who die in the middle of nowhere and depart still have the risk of gaining the effects as if they had been found and revived by a wandering rook.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Dorn wrote:Can the person still get raised as if where they were?

AKA, depart in a Rook Retrieval Room, you get Rook raised. Depart in a Soul Beacon Room, and if you're able you're Monk raised.

Still get the depart penalty, but get the associated hit of the Rook hit. Considering departing is supposed to be someone finding our corpse and dragging us away (under most circumstances), it seems a bit odd to be that you can depart to avoid a Rook Retrieval.
A suggestion that empowers Dorn to grief other players more than he currently is. Just sayin'.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Tamsin

Post by Tamsin »

This is a very logical suggestion, and would cut down on people using depart OOCly in such ways.

I always thought it was weird if one of my characters I depart with ended up in the rook retrievals spot but without any taint effects.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

I'm not sure how raising someone from the dead can be griefing.
~Dorn
Kent

Post by Kent »

Dorn wrote:I'm not sure how raising someone from the dead can be griefing.
Then don't effin' do it.

You ignore their explicit wishes to be monk raised and put them where they will be tainted.

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

I don't know what is more amusing.

The fact you it isn't the people Dorn kills that is the problem but the people he rescues.
~Dorn
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Although I see the point in this suggestion, I just don't feel it. Mostly because I hate the idea of getting tainted and dealing with trying to find a monk (which can't really be found these days) and dealing with it.

I also don't like the penalty for departing in an area I didn't know I was taken to to begin with. This sort of thing is bound to happen more since we have to wait 5 minutes to depart. That's penalty enough. The game has enough downtime and penalties as it is.

The only balance I can think of is pretty OOC. We can get a message in a raising area that we are about to be raised and if we're sure we want to depart.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Kent

Post by Kent »

Dorn wrote: it seems a bit odd to be that you can depart to avoid a Rook Retrieval.
If someone is looking for sense in the death mechanic, they won't find it. Almost everything about it is odd, no point in trying to 'make it right' without scrapping the whole system and rebuilding from the ground.

Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I know I haven't been around as much lately, but if anyone finds themselves in a situation where they have been rook-tainted I'm sure there are monks and templar out there with mail notification options toggled on. Just send a message via in-game post and someone from the church should be able to help out.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Well, Kent. I'll say there is something fundamentally wrong if you all prefer to depart than be Rook raised. They're both penalties of different types, and I'll admit I'm laughing at the fact that Dorn would probably cause less trouble if he just killed people and left them.
~Dorn
Kent

Post by Kent »

Dorn wrote:Well, Kent. I'll say there is something fundamentally wrong if you all prefer to depart than be Rook raised. They're both penalties of different types, and I'll admit I'm laughing at the fact that Dorn would probably cause less trouble if he just killed people and left them.
I like how you take it upon yourself to make religious decisions for other people. I am sure you take it graciously when others do the same to you.

Dakhal

Post by Dakhal »

Cry me a river. Grow up already. Boo hoo, you got Rook raised when you wanted to be monk raised, and the character who put you in that situation just so happens to be evil.

Yes, he will smile and take pity upon you, he will respect your religious wishes even though it conflicts with his existing goals.

I am appalled that you think it's okay to call what he does as 'griefing'. Dorn fills a role that many people are not willing to play and actually gives some conflicts in the lands, if you don't like that it's actually causing problems for you.. hey, maybe you should do something ICly about it.

I wholly agree that it's stupid that you can depart to avoid getting penalties for being Rook raised. I think it's a very OOC decision for you to see that you're in a rook chamber and being "Nope, that's not happened- I'm going to use this existing OOC verb because the death system isn't fully implemented to supercede my penalty."

I stopped playing Clok because I found that people were incapable of RPing properly, and this is one further case to prove that point.
Love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me, I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind.
I lead a Life of Sin.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

How is it even possible to know in which type of raising room you're in anyways?

Interestingly enough, the event that triggered Dorn's original post was because Jilliana departed in a room I didn't even know she was in. She didn't bother looking at the bell because she planned to depart to begin with. She didn't look and nobody sent the rescue signal. As far as I knew OOCly, she was left abandoned on the road by Dorn. The only way that I would have assumed she was being rescued was if someone sent the rescue signal regardless if she looked at the bell. If a monk would have sent that rescue signal...she would have assumed that a monk was about to raise her and she would have waited.

I did something that made complete sense to me at the time. Heck, if Dorn would have pulsed the rescue, I probably would have stuck around to continue the RP.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

We didn't pulse a rescue because Dorn was being himself and implying you had been kidnapped and were still alive. The situation all played out fine regardless, but your pulsing the death toll would have been helpful for us looking for you. Either way, yes, there's no way to tell what's happening to your character's body when they die. Considering how death mechanics have been described I don't think the suggestion of a random chance at rook taint is a bad one IF your characters body also then spawns in a rook retrieval room. But most bodies spawn with the church so I think it's safe to assume they are monk raised which is both easier for the playerbase and makes more sense in that npc monks would probably be more apt to go out of their way to help the departed.

I'll add that if you did get dragged to rooks it makes sense to me that you would be rook raised on depart. The problem is your body still ends up in your designated depart room which then wouldn't make sense. I would rather see departing just be disabled in retrieval rooms which would make more IC sense to me. I just don't want any change to be a random chance regardless of where you may have to depart from.
Last edited by Kiyaani on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Dakhal wrote:
I stopped playing Clok because I found that people were incapable of RPing properly, and this is one further case to prove that point.
Lots of people have stopped playing CLOK, in case you didn't notice. Shouldn't take a genius to see that making a hard death mechanic harder is a factor in it.

Because you don't feel the grief, you chose to insult me? If you stopped playing CLOK, (and frankly there was nothing remarkable about the RP you contributed to the game) then why don't you stop posting in here too.

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Good call, Bryce.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

I see only two real solutions to this issue:

Remove depart.
OR
Finish fully implementing a death system.

The former would be easy, and probably piss people (Kent) off. The latter would be much cool, so amaze.. and would only take a little bit of work on the GM side (right? right!?!). They're not busy anyways (RIGHT!??!??!??!??1?), and it would give them something fun (RIGHT?!?1!one!?) to do.
Tamsin

Post by Tamsin »

As far as hard death mechanics go, Clok has to have the most lenient system I've ever played under, even with a five minute wait to just respawn and a penalty to learning that can be removed in a few minutes of grind. Other systems make you drop all of your things where you die, and you get a penalty that can last up to OOC weeks... even lose stats or skills permanently, and so on... Not to even mention permadeath.

I for one miss Dakhal's RP, just saying. It added more interesting dynamics to the game than just "Kent died to bison, does anyone anywhere want to go save him?" or so on. :)

But on the topic, removing depart might not work since it leaves no room for being able to play if, say, nobody can or will raise you, or you're in a spot too difficult to be saved from (though maybe GMs might do something fancy to help those cases out?)

Maybe departing should make you drop your items and respawns you somewhere, like how an Undying might drown at sea but they just pop up again somewhere after a while... so you could still play, while the consequences remain quite real
Dakhal

Post by Dakhal »

Jirato Edit: Please do not attack others on the BBS
Love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me, I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind.
I lead a Life of Sin.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

I really try to avoid talking about upcoming changes and features before they're actually done. So many things can change from now yill implementation, and whats the fun if you know exactly how everything will work. But I feel this needs to be said here to put a stop to some of this arguing.

In the final version of the death system that is planned, player characters will have to take action after death to enable themselves to be raised or to depart. It won't just be a "sit and wait" system.

Because of this, I feel this discussion is pretty much moot.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I do agree with Kiyaani and the others that depart could be disabled in a retrieval room. Could that be a possibility in the meantime?
Kent

Post by Kent »

Tamsin wrote:As far as hard death mechanics go, Clok has to have the most lenient system I've ever played under, even with a five minute wait to just respawn and a penalty to learning that can be removed in a few minutes of grind.
A few minutes? What are you doing that takes only a few minutes? I have to work for about an hour to get back to normal.

Tamsin

Post by Tamsin »

Kent wrote:
Tamsin wrote:As far as hard death mechanics go, Clok has to have the most lenient system I've ever played under, even with a five minute wait to just respawn and a penalty to learning that can be removed in a few minutes of grind.
A few minutes? What are you doing that takes only a few minutes? I have to work for about an hour to get back to normal.
Training combat while dual-wielding weapons. It helps if you are wearing armor, but even on my elemancer who does not wear armor this method produces the same results. :)

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”