ability unlearning

Desmond

ability unlearning

Post by Desmond »

'ello.

I recently decided to use the 'unlearn' on an ability and while experiencing the world without it, i realized that i do rather want it.

so how about a cancel to unlearn, that undoes the process as slowly as it moved forward perhaps? Like, my ability is at... (unlearning, 28 days). Switch it to... (remembering, 2 days)?

A whole 30 days or so to get it back it is saddening

thanks for readin'
jilliana

Re: ability unlearning

Post by jilliana »

I do agree that a month of real time is a long time just to unlearn one ability.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Jirato

Post by Jirato »

Up until a week ago, ability decisions were permanent. I think 30 days is quite reasonable compared to eternity.

I'll see about an unlearn cancel though.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Jirato wrote:Up until a week ago, ability decisions were permanent. I think 30 days is quite reasonable compared to eternity.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it stack? You decide to unlearn two related abilities and have to wait two months?
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

You can only unlearn one ability at a time, actually.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Fayne wrote:You can only unlearn one ability at a time, actually.
Huh. Ok. Thanks for the correction. :)
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I do have to agree that the 30 days to unlearn is a bit extreme, especially with certain skills being dependant on some abilities. I'd say halve the time needed. Still long enough to prevent abuse, especially when you can only unlearn one ability at a time, but short enough to not be unreasonable or ridiculous. Hindering someone's fun for a full month seems really excessive.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

30 days seems more than fair. Frankly, I think it's generous that PCs are allowed to unlearn abilities at all. I don't really see how it's going to hinder someone's fun to unlearn an ability either, personally.
“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I would agree that being able to unlearn abilities is generous if we were restricted to only being able to train a certain number of skills, or if we assigned skills at character creation and then they never changed (which I would totally be all for and would support). But with us not being restricted at all in those regards, it kinda makes sense to allow the ability system to be at least partially fluid. Allowing the ability to swap out 12 abilities per year is hardly fluid. I think 14 or 15 days is a lot better.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

It's already fluid. I don't really see any reason to make it more fluid, other than it's something you want to be able to do. You can already swap out abilities, given enough time. Lowering the time investment on that lowers the value of the ability change, making it less consequential.
“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

Yeah, I'm pretty cool with the 30 day limitation.
It's only a problem for people who took all 18 abilities at once without testing them out to see if they liked the ones they got first.
I took one or two at a time, or ones that I knew I would like already. There's a few I'm thinking of unlearning atm though, but I wouldn't say it's at all putting a damper on my fun.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Sneaky wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty cool with the 30 day limitation.
It's only a problem for people who took all 18 abilities at once without testing them out to see if they liked the ones they got first.
I took one or two at a time, or ones that I knew I would like already. There's a few I'm thinking of unlearning atm though, but I wouldn't say it's at all putting a damper on my fun.
+1
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Assumptions made are very assuming. I have a problem with the 30 day time limit and I still have 4 ability points free, 5 if you count the point taken up by the basic learning bug, and 6 if you count the one ability I've decided to unlearn. So no, it's not just a problem for people who used all their ability points at once. Seriously, 12 ability swaps per year, and that's it. Can't get any more. That's just ridiculous. At least let us unlearn more than one at a time.
Zoiya

Post by Zoiya »

Lets try not to derail the thread, we are discussing unlearn cancel, which I think is a good idea. Everyone has second thoughts about their second thoughts.

We are listening to your issues with unlearning in general, and it will continue to be discussed by staff. No need to fuss at each other about it.
[CHAT - Lil' Skittles GM Zoiya escalates quickly]: *hugs Kent*
[CHAT - Kent "Gunney" Gunderman]: *gingerly hugs back*
[CHAT - Grandmaster Ardor will be NOM'd by a drakolin]: You can give Zoiya a bearhug Kent, she can handle it.
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

how about a grace period to try abilities as well? that way, we can keep the unlearning and it won't be so much of an issue.

I know I've found myself taking an ability from the description going wow that would totally help me, only to go and test it out and within a half hour going, hmm, that wasn't quite what I was picturing. I believe this would solve people's unlearning regrets, as well as giving us a really short time to actually test the ability to make sure it does what we think it should in comparison to our ideals. either that or, since we've had some time, giving us a do-over. I feel that generalization was just there with 50 some abilities and we've all had to adjust from the playing of a guild where that's all we get and adopting ourselves to having more open choices. It, for me, has kind of overloaded me with so many descriptions and practical uses that I feel I would make better, more informed choices, given some sort of accomidation to the description to the practicality. thorns, for instance. give my staff thorns. sounds awesome. don't really think it is as awesome as it sounds. :p
Zoiya

Post by Zoiya »

Well generalization is still new, and we're still looking at figures and builds and seeing what is going on. Once we start balancing and releasing other abilities we may let you guys have a grace period, but we haven't decided on that yet. Everyone has a good point, and we want you to know that we are considering all options.
[CHAT - Lil' Skittles GM Zoiya escalates quickly]: *hugs Kent*
[CHAT - Kent "Gunney" Gunderman]: *gingerly hugs back*
[CHAT - Grandmaster Ardor will be NOM'd by a drakolin]: You can give Zoiya a bearhug Kent, she can handle it.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”