Disarm

Barius

Disarm

Post by Barius »

I was thinking about this ability today and I had a few thoughts on it. Currently, when you disarm an opponent the weapon drops to the ground at their feet, leaving you to need to pick it up before they do. Which then leaves you with a weapon that you most likely don't want or can't tuck away for the duration of the battle unless you flee combat and do something with it.

What I think would be interesting if it was implemented in some way, be it an upper tier of the ability or an additional command, would be to kick away the weapon so that they can't immediately retrieve it. Something like it being hidden, or at least out of reach until the one who lost it can maneuver its retrieval. I have no idea how feasible the idea is, however, so it's just thoughts.
Kunren

Re: Disarm

Post by Kunren »

Eh. I really think the ability is fine as is. You can always tuck the weapon into a pack, or sheathe. Really, its a very great move, if you get lucky you can cripple nearly any mob or player by removing their favored weapon, leaving them helpless(unless they trained brawling, of course >:)). Not to mention, its the only way to steal a weapon I know of. Oh, you spent 20,000 riln on that mastercrafted sunsteel rapier? That's mine now, thanks. Sucks to be you. Especially since you can't get it back in any way.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Barius

Post by Barius »

Not if the weapon doesn't fit in a pack, and you don't have something with you to sheathe it in. But, I see your argument. I like the ability very much as is, and don't mind if this idea isn't feasible.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

PCs have trouble picking up weapons from the ground while under attack; we just need to update NPCs to have the same trouble.
The lore compels me!
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Not the only way to steal a weapon. Besides, I'm pretty sure it's frowned upon to use disarm for the express purpose of stealing another PCs weapon.

BUT if they paid 20k for a masterful sunsteel rapier, they pretty much stole it in the first place!
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Why would it be, heh. Its all about your characters personality. Would he keep the shiny? Is it just a spar, so he will quickly give it back? Is it some upstart trying to beat you up so you keep his sword to teach him a lesson? Fun fun all around, too bad there isn't much serious PvP that ive seen or I would have quite a collection of weapons >:)
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=819&p=3019&hilit=d ... teal#p3019

Granted, he isn't GMing anymore.. but that's where I got that notion from.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

D: That's horrible. I mean..I can sorta see why they would disapprove, people have to work hard for their weapons, but that really cuts off so many RP choices....
Enepttastic

Post by Enepttastic »

<facepalm> That's just...I'm sorry that "disclaimer" was just...

Let's just say I'm glad I wasn't around when that was posted...
In-game: Atali: Punching things while wearing (mostly)full plate because she likes hearing the "ping."
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

Yea, this has been proposed in the past and I love it. Would be great to be able to kick the weapon into an adjacent room or, as mentioned, into a HIDDEN status. As is, disarm is okay, but sub-par. With the upcoming ability redistribution, maybe a Merc-only kick ability would make mega-sense.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I imagine that disclaimer was put in because if some clown goes around disarming everyone he sees and stealing all their weapons just because he can or for the lulz, we want him to know that A) disarming someone's weapon and taking it isn't some kind of law loophole that you can't get into trouble over like you would with standard stealing, and B) we're going to know about it. So you can't go around disarming people, taking their weapons, and saying you shouldn't get in IC trouble for it due to some weird logic like "disarming isn't technically stealing" or something similarly goofy. We keep an eye on it (as we do with stealing), and we'll step in if things look like they're getting out of hand.

Also remember to register your highly prized possessions. The Twilight Eye Reclamation Service is famously capable of locating and returning registered items to their registered owners.
The lore compels me!
Enepttastic

Post by Enepttastic »

That, I've absolutely no problem with. Issue is, the quoted disclaimer sounded more like a, "You guys start doing this and you risk GM/OOC wrath."
In-game: Atali: Punching things while wearing (mostly)full plate because she likes hearing the "ping."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

That could have been the original meaning by Landion, but I think the PCs should be the ones to resolve these kinds of conflicts for the most part (they're free to ICly appeal to NPCs, i.e. justice officials or the Twilight Eye, for help of course). I mean, yes, it's sneaky, mean, and underhanded to knock someone's weapon out of their hands and take it away from them, for sure. But then, I guru the Guild of Thieves. I'm probably a tad more lenient on these kinds of matters.
The lore compels me!
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I would like to point out that the the term "if abused" was used in that disclaimer. That kinda inplies that you *can* do it, just not exessively.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

now this has me thinking, if I as a Templar disarm someone who is threatening me or others, would it be considered stealing to keep the weapon so they couldn't use it against others? almost don't expect an answer, but it's been in my thoughts for some time now.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Enepttastic

Post by Enepttastic »

preiman wrote:now this has me thinking, if I as a Templar disarm someone who is threatening me or others, would it be considered stealing to keep the weapon so they couldn't use it against others? almost don't expect an answer, but it's been in my thoughts for some time now.
I'd say it depends on your actions after confiscating the weapon. Immediately sell it to a pawnshop/other player and pocket the riln, probably wouldn't be considered a good idea for instance.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

immediately putting the weapon into the hands of someone in need of one on the other hand, would be A ok ;) (probably)
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

You're just saying that because I give you weapons.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
xavier

Post by xavier »

until i got a war horse, thanks Lavi, that was exactly how I handled all highwaymen tasks, disarm, snatch, pocket. i would either drop them in the crates for newbies or if there was already an abundance sell them to the pawn shop. If i were to take one from a pc who i felt deserved having their weapon removed, I'd probably just keep it in a pile until i had sufficient weight then melt them all down for resource metals.
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I'm all for having a way to kick it out of the room. Right now I leave the room and drop it then go back in if it's a particularly large weapon.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”