Firearm Diversity!

Araus

Firearm Diversity!

Post by Araus »

Hello folks! Lately I've been getting more interested in the firearms in the game and I noticed that, well... There's not many of them, and the defacto best one is very, veeery hard to get for most players. So, I was thinking, how can we give players more options then flintlocks and hoping to get a revolver some day? Why, by putting in some weird, over looked, real world guns!

The Pepperbox
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y7DaA2yfzFo/S ... 5B1%5D.jpg
The pepperbox is sort of a proto-revolver and was first invented in the 15th century as a way of having more then a single shot ready without needing to carry more then one gun. The pepperbox grew in popularity around the 1830s as firearm technology improved, only waning in apperance after the american civil war. Unlike the revolver, the barrel of the pepperbox needs to be turned manually, effectivly making even a pistol a two handed weapon.

Gameplay notes:
- Would require two hands to operate
- Would be very, very heavy thanks to their many barrels
- Can come in rifle or pistol form.
- More expensive then a flintlock, but less then a revolver

The Blunderbuss
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... rbuss.jpeg
The blunderbuss, known to most as an early form of the shotgun. The blunderbuss was a popular weapon from the 17th to 19th century and for good reason- It was a simple weapon, basically a tube filled with lots of powder, lots of pellets or scrap and made -lots- of noise and damage. Although innacurate, the sheer power to confuse and rip into lightly armored targets was invaluable.

Gameplay notes:
-It would have a high energy cost thanks to the effect of the blast
-More resources to reload then a regular gun
-Would do a multi-hit attack with low damage output per hit

Anyway, these are just two ideas I had to add more diversity to the firearms in the game- It would be great if I could get some feedback on this or if others could throw in their ideas too!
Aien

Re: Firearm Diversity!

Post by Aien »

I'd really like to see firearms expanded and have gunsmithing be an actual craft in the game.

CLOK is supposedly a steampunk/fantasy blend game, but right now it seems like there's no steampunk and a lot of fantasy.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Aien wrote:I'd really like to see firearms expanded and have gunsmithing be an actual craft in the game.

CLOK is supposedly a steampunk/fantasy blend game, but right now it seems like there's no steampunk and a lot of fantasy.
But.... I have a pocketwatch. #sosteampunklolzerz
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I'm happy with where firearms are at the moment. The pepperbox functionality is actually in, the guns just aren't sold anywhere. Blunderbuss might be fun, too.

The Lost Lands unfortunately isn't particularly conducive to the steampunky elements - it's a ruined and chaotic land, and there just aren't really the facilities or means to have steampunk stuff everywhere. Even before the plague, there was little in Aetgard that would be steampunkish. For that stuff you'd go to Grum or Tol Rhun, both far from the playable area. So for the most part, the steampunk aspects are all "off-screen" in distant lands.
The lore compels me!
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

And in my pocket.
Araus

Post by Araus »

Rias wrote:I'm happy with where firearms are at the moment. The pepperbox functionality is actually in, the guns just aren't sold anywhere. Blunderbuss might be fun, too.

The Lost Lands unfortunately isn't particularly conducive to the steampunky elements - it's a ruined and chaotic land, and there just aren't really the facilities or means to have steampunk stuff everywhere. Even before the plague, there was little in Aetgard that would be steampunkish. For that stuff you'd go to Grum or Tol Rhun, both far from the playable area. So for the most part, the steampunk aspects are all "off-screen" in distant lands.
That's a shame. I'm, obviously, not too happy with the state of firearms myself. With melee weapons, you have a nice balance between everything- There's no one 'best' weapon and each one seems to have it's own place- it's own situation where they shine. For firearms, that awesome balance that makes me enjoy CLOK combat so much is... Well, non-existant. You have a pistol and rifle and... A much better pistol and rifle hidden behind a pair of guilds. As a player, it's not very satisfying- and it's honestly a little... mystifying to see you say that you have the functionality for pepperboxes made up but you're not doing anything with them at the moment.

Anyway, that's my little rant for the morning. While I hope it makes you rethink things, I respect your position as a GM enough not to press the issue on my own any more- I know there's a lot of anger here on the BBS and I reeeally don't want to add to that. Anyway, thank you for reading everything!

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”