Resting in the rain

Alexander

Resting in the rain

Post by Alexander »

While I sit here in the rain to recover my stamina, it occurs to me that there might be some detrimental effects from standing or sitting about in the rain for prolonged periods. I'm still uncertain over whether getting a cold from being in the rain was simply a tale told by mothers to keep us from getting soaked and tracking in water and mud, but it seems appropriate that there should be some negative effect to spending prolonged periods in the rain or otherwise drenched.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
jilliana

Re: Resting in the rain

Post by jilliana »

I was thinking of this very thing not too long ago.

Maybe if it is cold and rainy one could start coughing or sneezing for a little bit and have some energy drain.
This could be something where armor would actually be a good thing weather-wise. A greathelm could be protection from the elements whereas just wearing a plain helm would give you slightly different effects.

This is sort of one of those things that would be interesting, but then someone could come to the arguement that we should be affected by standing in sweltering heat as well.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

What CLOK needs is a brand new "immune system" system for every character.

Too much heat leads to dehydration leads to lowering of the immune number.
Sitting out in the cold leads to sniffles leads to lowering the immune number.
Get stung by a mosquito? Pull a tick off? Immune system check to see if we contract those nasty vectors.

If it gets too low, we all can contract malaria, colds, influenza, and worse. (Jaster, better watch out for STI's)

Yea, that's the ticket! (No, this post was not serious)
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Red warrior, you are about to contract herpes!
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Rain really isn't that big of a deal. On some days a bit of rain is nice as it cools you down during some physical exertion.

Rain in CLOK does mean bad news if its cold outside.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Brimmed hats should help prevent rain problems.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
criticalfault

Post by criticalfault »

Finally my giant wizards hat pays off! >:)
Jhordon -(Struck by lightning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NaSUdzzA
Cigano - (Friends on the other side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

I hope we get umbrellas to go with this.
xavier

Post by xavier »

the old wives tale about catching a cold from being out in the rain is only partially true. Bacteria that cause colds are more easily communicable in water since it's sort of their natural environment, however standing out in the rain even on a cold day and getting really cold actually has a detrimental effect to the bacteria as their comfort zone is 70 to 100 degrees F give or take depending on conditions. so having said that you are more likely to catch a cold when it's hot and raining than you are when it's freezing and raining. I'm glad some of my pointless conversations with doctors finally paid off. hooray!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Well. Colds in cold rain aren't an issue. Your body temperature dropping on the other hand is... Well. It only takes a change of two degrees either way to seriously jeopardize your health. And water can absorb ridiculous amounts of heat energy, cold water even more so and that can quickly kill you if you aren't careful.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

"No one knows whether death, which people fear to be the greatest evil, may not be the greatest good."
Plato
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

xavier wrote:the old wives tale about catching a cold from being out in the rain is only partially true. Bacteria that cause colds are more easily communicable in water since it's sort of their natural environment, however standing out in the rain even on a cold day and getting really cold actually has a detrimental effect to the bacteria as their comfort zone is 70 to 100 degrees F give or take depending on conditions. so having said that you are more likely to catch a cold when it's hot and raining than you are when it's freezing and raining. I'm glad some of my pointless conversations with doctors finally paid off. hooray!
Colds are viral. Usually they're caused by a rhinovirus or coronavirus, although there are variety of other virions that can cause cold-like syndromes.

Your statement that colds are caused by bacteria is just as false as the old wives tale. There is really no strong causal evidence that links cold temperature/rain to any sort of infectious pathogen (excluding possibly respiratory syncytial virus which can cause colds, particularly in children and the immunocompromised. In this case, it is seasonal and tends to be present in colder climates so there may be some indirect link to the old wives tale).

Boom. Scienced!
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

Kent

Post by Kent »

Bryce wrote:Brimmed hats should help prevent rain problems.
And tricorns...tricorns are specifically designed so that the rain runs out the two back corners and down the back of your cloak and not down your neck. I'm not making this up.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Kent

Post by Kent »

Alexander wrote:While I sit here in the rain to recover my stamina, it occurs to me that there might be some detrimental effects from standing or sitting about in the rain for prolonged periods. I'm still uncertain over whether getting a cold from being in the rain was simply a tale told by mothers to keep us from getting soaked and tracking in water and mud, but it seems appropriate that there should be some negative effect to spending prolonged periods in the rain or otherwise drenched.
While we're on the subject, in another mud I played, if you curled up by a cozy fire, it gave a small boost to your energy regeneration. Let's bring that in here, too.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”