fish stews and fish pies

merin
CLOK Patron

fish stews and fish pies

Post by merin »

Hi,

I would like to request that fish filets be treated the same was as meat. As it is not a well-known secret, one of my characters odes not promote the slaying of animals with meat, however, since fish breed more rapidly and are more freely available, it would be wonderful if we could include them in dishes. This would make for much more interesting combinations, and allow us fisherman to actually have a use for some of our home-grown vegetables.

Unfortunately, I attempted to cook both a pie with fish and a stew with fish with no results – it kept telling me I had the wrong ingredience.
merin
CLOK Patron

Re: fish stews and fish pies

Post by merin »

If not the same, then, is it possible to give them a couple of recipes?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Cooking is long overdue for an overhaul. As a lover of seafood, I'll make sure there's some good fish options.
The lore compels me!
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

That's great!
In the meantime, though, what is there that can be done with farmed vegetables? I'm just looking to add variety to it...baking fruit pies all the time isn't the best in terms of a balanced diet!
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

And since I'm on here and she's not, Liani's carrying on about coconuts, seafood pasta...oh good she's on her way. I thought I was gonna be stuck as translator! AThank goodness, I would be here all day.
Liani
CLOK Patron

Post by Liani »

now he's being a brat. and since he said that and I was going to, I will be on my way. Humph. But yes. i would love a few more options for the people who enjoy the veggies, fruits, and fish.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Seafood is gross!
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

Aw come on. that wonderful rewarding action of cracking open a crab leg, only to enjoy the sweet, tasty, tender meat within. Mmmmmmmm. You know it sounds good!

PS. if you still think seafood is gross then ur face is gross hahahaha lolololz. :)
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I can't recall if I already mentioned this but you can add fish to either stews or pies (can't remember which one) but it calls it a meat whatever it is.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Hmm, it might be pretty easy if all we need to do is change "meat" to "fish"... Not entirely sure though, haven't looked at the code for that particular part yet.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Forget stews and pies, we need to be able to make flapjacks! Carry a little pre-made mix and some water, mix together in a frying pan, easy delicious food!

Of course, we'll need syrup to pour on top as well.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

We need to be able to make like, lots of stuffs

It would be pretty great, though, if it was that easy -- meat pies and fruit pies would really help me releave the monotony at times, lol.

One thing I"ve always wanted to make in clok, probably from seeing so many firepits, are s'mores, heheh.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I humbly request some source of apples so as to allow for player-made apple pie.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
Adaria
Mentor

Apples!Re: fish stews and fish pies

Post by Adaria »

Alexander, there are apples in game, but I won't say where exactly, you'll have to find out and yes apple pies are possible!

Quite delicious, too.
[[Althea (lying down, pie-splattered, haloed by light, calm, asleep, mesmerized)]]

Maric says, "The worrying thing, is that this cave seems to be safe, haven't seen anything in here."
a fallen dreadnaught arrives via a crack, armor clanking.
Maric says, "I shouldn't speak."

[CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: Evil is such a wonderful word. It defies "i" before "e", it defies goodness and when spelled backwards it defies death.
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

You used to be able to, not sure why it was changed... But Eve still has a couple of trout pies laying around in her kitchen. Mmm yummy.
Liani
CLOK Patron

Post by Liani »

If you used to be able to, at least I can't now. we went fishing and tried a few different kind of fish. trout was one.
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

Hey, if cooking needs an overhaul, and if food in general needs an overhaul (still waiting for those qualities and benefits to be implemented. :P), why not make a minor guild out of it? They could have access to special recipes, special guild-only rare ingredients/spices that imbue food stuffs with special properties, certain fruits and veggies could only be grown by them, and they could have their very own spice gardens (potted herbs just like the kind available in the greenhouse, but bought with guild points instead of riln)! I also see them getting a boost to farming to the tune of increased crop yield, or at least a discount when buying cookable items and ingredients at the market. If there were a baker's or chef's minor guild, you could guarantee that I'd be all over that and spend every momemt of my time on Clok baking and cooking, because personally I can't get enough of it.

P.S. Something I just realized is that making a complicated cooking system with a minor guild focused on it would also discourage people like Ragnar the Drakolin-Face-Stealer from becoming a pastry chef in his free time, as things like that could be limited to guild access only, or at the very least you'd have a character or two around who always had some on hand, or could easily whip up a handful in a few minutes.
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

I am all for it, as I thinka fish pie would be disgusting, which would make it great ammunition to hurl at people. Thanks in advance, and I apologize in advance for the countless laundry bills that will result because of this addition.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I actually don't like the idea of cooking being mostly guild-specific, even if guild-specific just meant that their cooking got perks.

A lot of us cook because we don't like the ideas of our characters eating dry travel rations or plain bread and making food also makes some female characters happy.

I agree completely that cooking needs an overhaul, especially now that I'm starting to discover that there are meats that can't be used in cooking.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

jilliana wrote:A lot of us cook because we don't like the ideas of our characters eating dry travel rations or plain bread and making food also makes some female characters happy.
See, this is where the issues arise though. I think cooking for the majority of characters should be limited to spiced meats and stews, and perhaps limit them to being average or lower.

The reason I suggest limited cooking potential outside of a cooking-centered minor guild is to prevent people from saying "Hey, I can learn the cooking skill, and every recipe mechanically implemented is available to me, so why don't I just learn to cook everything myself so I don't have to buy it?"

I believe that all characters should be able to cook independantly. After all, your Udemi or just general outdoorsman would be expected to go out into the wilderness and hunt and cook their own meat, with simple spices and the ocassional basic stew of wild onions, meat, and water being the only variety they get outside of shopping at a town or hamlet. And of course, everyone should be able to make stews, bread, simple pies, and spiced meat, since even the most poor and lowly peasant would know how to feed himself and his family.

However, complex, high-quality meals are something I think should be restricted to certain characters. Most common folk are going to be more concerned with just finding something semi-palatable to eat than trying to perfect the art of cooking. That's what chefs are for. They dedicate their lives to perfecting the art of cooking, and that is how they make their money. If everyone could cook the same things at the same quality as the chef, then why would they ever buy food from him, no matter how much money they had?

Rias has stated before that his biggest issue with giving food any kind of special qualities is the issue of having characters start cooking all sorts of complex food products when it doesn't fit their RP. If a special RP-oriented cooking guild were implemented, that issue would be resolved. Everyone who likes cooking right now could keep cooking their own food, but if they wanted special meals that gave them buffs or were more filling, they would have to find a player chef, place an order with them, and have them cook it for them.

The advantages of a small cooking-related guild would be encouraged RP, and the Giganti who rips the heads off of bears for fun would be forced to cook his own food over an open fire, as would fit his RP the best. It would promote even more riln-sinks as players pay chefs to prepare food for them, who then in turn use riln to buy ingredients and supplies from NPCs and other PCs.

Sorry for rambling, but I'm trying to sell my idea here, as I think it would be a perfect new addition, and it would address Rias' concerns about cooking. I understand this would be a very exclusive guild, as not many people would want to do it, since the most combat any chef would ever see is hunting weaker animals for their own meat rather than purchasing it, but I think there are a few players who would really love playing a character like this. Oh, and did I mention the possibility of hiring a player to cater events rather than the GMs whipping up a menu to order from?
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Most common folks, before our era of easy-to-get food-like products and restaurants everywhere, cooked for themselves and they were really, really good at it. There's entire cookbooks dedicated to traditional home cooking.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Elystole wrote:Most common folks, before our era of easy-to-get food-like products and restaurants everywhere, cooked for themselves and they were really, really good at it. There's entire cookbooks dedicated to traditional home cooking.
This is exactly it. There are classic books written in the time period CLOK is loosely based on that have their plots revolving around food and preparing it well. A lot of the recipes I learned from my mother are mainly ones that have been in existence in our family and culture for a very long time.

This is actually one of those skills I'm really sensitive about since it's so close to how I play Jilliana. There is definitely a change needed on cooking, but I will be the first to be a little miffed if this turned intoa cooking guild.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”