Permit ideas!

merin
CLOK Patron

Permit ideas!

Post by merin »

Since ya'll are working on permits I hope some of these ideas turn into something awesome!

1. Identifying permits. As it stands now, I can buy a workyard/tannery permit for shadgard, mistral, and haiban. There is no way to tell them apart. Is there a way we can get town identifiers added to them?
2. Permit books! I got this idea from my school or any coupon books, really. You would buy a haiban permit book and have, say, x amount of each permit in there. If you wanted, you could purchase new permits to go in said book. Help keep the clutter down and the organization more tighty.
3. I will buy a permit from you! When working and the worker tells you "You need another permit to keep working," have the option to buy one directly from him for a little more of the cost.
4. Time period permits. 1 hour = 50 riln. 3 hours = 140 riln. 6 hours = 275 riln. 12 hours = 560 riln. 24 hours = 1150 riln. The more you buy the more you save?
5. Item permits. I want to forge three longswords, so give me access for say 20 riln for the ability to forge 3 items, plus five on top for maintainance/wear and tear of the equipment.
6. Artisans get in free! We are entitled, work there, and obviously deserve to have full, unrestricted, access to all working facilities because we're awesome.
7. Portable forges/grinders/etcetera artisan only. Who needs public facilities anyway!

All right, ya caught me. Last two were a joke!
Jirato

Re: Permit ideas!

Post by Jirato »

Been tossing some of these ideas around. Mostly just need to consult with the others on it. Extending/renewing your permit on the spot was something that I was thinking about, but didn't think about charging a premium for that service. Good idea!
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

merin wrote:4. Time period permits. 1 hour = 50 riln. 3 hours = 140 riln. 6 hours = 275 riln. 12 hours = 560 riln. 24 hours = 1150 riln. The more you buy the more you save?
Just remember that if you use a permit to a different workroom it automatically cancels whatever permit you used to have. I've prematurely terminated a few permits because I forgot something in the tanner while working in the blacksmith or needed to do a quick repair for someone. I'm just pointing it out because it'd suck to buy an extended permit then accidentally waste all that riln.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

My preference would be that you're simply told upon trying to enter a workshop that payment is required, and you are given the option to pay right then and there, rather than at some remote site. You're given some kind of token that expires at the next bell (hour), and we'll have discounts if you enter 15, 30, or 45 minutes into the bell so you don't get ripped off time-wise. Using this token, you can leave and come back if you have to. Each bell, a guy goes around asking people for their tokens and collects them if they've expired. Upon collection he'll say "Hey, your time has expired - if you want, you can hand me 50 riln now and I'll give you a new token."

Boom, easy. Pay upon entry, pay renewal upon expiration without needing to leave.
The lore compels me!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Rias wrote:My preference would be that you're simply told upon trying to enter a workshop that payment is required, and you are given the option to pay right then and there, rather than at some remote site. You're given some kind of token that expires at the next bell (hour), and we'll have discounts if you enter 15, 30, or 45 minutes into the bell so you don't get ripped off time-wise. Using this token, you can leave and come back if you have to. Each bell, a guy goes around asking people for their tokens and collects them if they've expired. Upon collection he'll say "Hey, your time has expired - if you want, you can hand me 50 riln now and I'll give you a new token."
I really like this idea. that way, if all we need to do is say, smelt or repair an item, we don't need to spend the whole 50 for a whole hour we won't use. We just have to make sure to fo a bit later in the bell and we'll save a little riln for waiting.
I was thinking yesterday that it would be interesting to get a prompting when we attempt to enter the work area of how much we plan to be inside and get charged accordingly. It'll totally eliminate the need to go elsewhere to buy a permit unless we want to buy them in large amounts.

Slightly unrelated to the topic but felt the need to point out: Can the need for a permit be canceled out entirely if there is a corpse in there? I find it slightly odd that MOB can enter and we can't...
:)
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

+1 to this idea.
Kent

Post by Kent »

1. Overall, the biggest need I have for permits is instead of buying one for one hour, is to buy a half-price permit for 30 minutes. The vast majority of time I need a workshop, I need it only to repair a couple of items, and I would far more gladly part with 25 riln than 50 on a regular basis. Price elasticity influencing us greatly here.

2. I mentioned in another post I believe a permit for a Tanner's Workshop should necessarily be less than that for a Blacksmithy due to much smaller overhead and size, ie, 30 riln per hour or 15 riln per 30 minutes.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Zoiya

Post by Zoiya »

Kent wrote:1. Overall, the biggest need (I) have for permits is instead of buying one for one hour, is to buy a half-price permit for 30 minutes. The vast majority of time (I) need a workshop, (I) need it only to repair a couple of items, and (I) would far more gladly part with 25 riln than 50 on a regular basis. Price elasticity influencing us greatly here.

2. I mentioned in another post I believe a permit for a Tanner's Workshop should necessarily be less than that for a Blacksmithy due to much smaller overhead and size, ie, 30 riln per hour or 15 riln per 30 minutes.

That first part had FOUR uses of what YOU need. I understand that you have particular needs when it comes to permits, but we are looking for suggestions that would benefit EVERYONE. Think outside of the box and think of different way that permits can be used to help everyone who uses them. Not just you, Kent.
[CHAT - Lil' Skittles GM Zoiya escalates quickly]: *hugs Kent*
[CHAT - Kent "Gunney" Gunderman]: *gingerly hugs back*
[CHAT - Grandmaster Ardor will be NOM'd by a drakolin]: You can give Zoiya a bearhug Kent, she can handle it.
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

Ok, this is not going to come off as anything but probably mean to some people, but come on guys. It's fifty freeking riln. Is it really that big of a deal? If so, then, maybe permits shouldn't be in your daily expence and maybe hiring people that use them should be. There are artisans and people that use them for their hobbies that don't complain about it. Hit one of those people up. I repaired six pieces of equipment and wasn't going to charge for it. I was given 150 riln for it, anyway, so that was a bonus. It's really kind of disappointing to see someone quibble about permits and such costing so little...don't use them, then. There are people who specialize in the stuff that goes on in there. Use their services instead.
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

To illustrate my point...

The buyer tells you, "I found the following items I'm interested in:
some fresh yellow-green bitemoss (x2)
some fresh sprigs of bloodstem (x4)
"I'll pay you 54 riln for all of it if you wish to sell," the buyer concludes.
sell back
You sell the commodities in your black leather backpack to a buyer for 54 riln.

That was me leaving Mistral's infermory, walking out of the ruins, going east, foraging the room, reading over my previous post, and going back to the market to sell those items. That, and typing this post, took me five minutes. Combined.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Really the only time that 50 riln would be a big deal is when a newbie is attempting to learn a craft. I know it took me a bit to learn the quick ways to earn riln besides foraging.

Other than that though the issue with the permits is not the riln, but ways to make their uses a bit more efficient. That would include giving players a variety of options that may not always make complete sense...because ultimately that 50 riln is really no big deal, but one would want a bit more flexibility.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”