Auto-capitilization of certain words in ESP and SAY

Kent

Auto-capitilization of certain words in ESP and SAY

Post by Kent »

I think that the role-play flavour of the game would be smoothed out if certain names and words were automatically capitalized by the game code, as is currently the case with the first letter of the first word in ESP. The examples that first come to mind include:

shadgard --> Shadgard
mistral --> Mistral
mistral lake --> Mistral Lake
corvus --> Corvus
the chapterhouse --> the Chapterhouse
haiban --> Haiban
western coalition --> Western Coalition
dwaedn wyr --> Dwaedn Wyr
dwaedn vil --> Dwaedn Vil
church of light --> Church of Light

and pretty much all other Guild names.

Also, 'I' and it's contractions:

i --> I
i'll --> I'll
i'd --> I'd

Etc.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Rias
DEV

Re: Auto-capitilization of certain words in ESP and SAY

Post by Rias »

Oooh, and we can have a little quill with eyes and a happy smile pop up, named Quilly, and he can be like, "It looks like you're forming an ESP thought about Shadgard! Would you like help?"

In all seriousness though, I don't want to start spending effort on automated capitalization, spell-checking, grammar, and whatever else. It could easily explode into way more effort than it's worth, because there's always going to be people saying "Well how come THIS is auto-corrected, but THAT isn't? You should add THAT as well!"
The lore compels me!
Kent

Post by Kent »

Rias wrote: In all seriousness though, I don't want to start spending effort on automated capitalization, spell-checking, grammar, and whatever else. It could easily explode into way more effort than it's worth, because there's always going to be people saying "Well how come THIS is auto-corrected, but THAT isn't? You should add THAT as well!"
Well, that being said, could we have as the one and only auto-capitalization the letter 'i' by itself, pretty please?

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
xavier

Post by xavier »

I have to agree with Rias on this one. Also beyond the whole exploding into the various why can't you automate this question, is it so terribly difficult to type properly?
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Kent

Post by Kent »

xavier wrote:I have to agree with Rias on this one. Also beyond the whole exploding into the various why can't you automate this question, is it so terribly difficult to type properly?

Easy for you. Not all of us have that luxury.

xavier

Post by xavier »

forgive me but unless you don't have hands and fingers it is perfectly capable. I personaly know of five people who have only the use of one hand and two that are quadrapalegics who type properly. I apologize if I offended you but the only time capitalization is important is during a role playing scene and well those aren't exactly time sensitive.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Just go a bit slower on the phone typing. No one is going to begrudge you a few typos or punctuation or capitalization errors. It's a nice idea, but a nightmare for the GMs. Just do your best, Kent.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Kiyaani wrote:Just go a bit slower on the phone typing. No one is going to begrudge you a few typos or punctuation or capitalization errors. It's a nice idea, but a nightmare for the GMs. Just do your best, Kent.
Ok, thank you.

jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Honestly, a lot of us don't notice those things unless it's pretty bad. My biggest pet peeve is when people don't use punctuation at all and it ends up a run-on sentence that I have no idea what to do with.
Even the best typists make a mistake and the GM's certainly don't expect perfection...for the most part I'm sure. :)
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”