ESP Last messages - to help improve continuity of Role Play

Kent

ESP Last messages - to help improve continuity of Role Play

Post by Kent »

In another mud I played, it was possible to use a command to show the last 10 messages on that channel.

For example, they had a channel named 'Gossip', and you could talk on it with the command 'Gossip <message>, but if you merely typed 'Gossip', it would show you the last ten messages that went through that channel.

For example:

GOSSIP

--- GOSSIPS ---

[Moonglum >> humanic]
"hello all"

[A male human >> humanic]
"hello"

[Moonglum >> humanic]
"what kind of amphibian?"

[A male human >> humanic]
"best one"

[A silver-haired elf with piercing blue eyes >> ???]
"shield vendor at med fount...for now."

[A silver-haired elf with piercing blue eyes >> ???]
"come and get them"

Why is this realistic? In role-play terms, even if you the player just connected, your character was always there (not logged out then he logged back in). He had his pendant on, and he heard the esp channel, so he is able to respond to messages on the ESP channel.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Rias
DEV

Re: ESP Last messages - to help improve continuity of Role P

Post by Rias »

I'd rather not open up the can of worms that'd lead to people wanting transcripts because "my character had their pendant on all day." It's just assumed your character is busy with other stuff and not paying attention to ESP when the player is logged out.
The lore compels me!
Kent

Post by Kent »

Rias wrote:I'd rather not open up the can of worms that'd lead to people wanting transcripts because "my character had their pendant on all day." It's just assumed your character is busy with other stuff and not paying attention to ESP when the player is logged out.
Yes, but the worst part of it is the lagouts and disconnects arising from server problems, meaning, a player can be in the middle of a conversation, disconnect, reconnect 60 seconds later and miss a message or two (his character was recognized as connected at the time by CLOK but the message never arrived at his phone screen or computer screen) and so he or she missed out on say or esp information, or fails to respond to a question, then the other player(s) have to RP that he ignored them or was supposed to know something, then he becomes the bad guy (or the worse guy), etc.

Oddly, in my experience, many CLOK players are reluctant to repeat ESP's when requested under these situations. (It's hard to RP justify it even if they did).

It is for the sake of these lagout and disconnect situations I am requesting the change. To keep the RP going. Never mind the people who want transcripts of the entire day. Lots of things already in CLOK lead to requests to other things, and the GM's don't do them all. The past ten and that's it.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Kent wrote:Oddly, in my experience, many CLOK players are reluctant to repeat ESP's when requested under these situations. (It's hard to RP justify it even if they did).

It is for the sake of these lagout and disconnect situations I am requesting the change. To keep the RP going. Never mind the people who want transcripts of the entire day. Lots of things already in CLOK lead to requests to other things, and the GM's don't do them all. The past ten and that's it.

If you lagout and miss an ESP message due to this, it could be simple to justify ICly requesting them to repeat themselves.

esp I'm sorry, my pendant came loose for a moment. Did you answer my question?

esp Ugh. I got something on my pendant. Took it off to clean it for a sec. Could you repeat yourself?

I could probably go on, but I fear I'd get mostly repetitive. Things of that nature though.
“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”