Swimming with a log

Kent

Swimming with a log

Post by Kent »

Currently it is not possible to swim with a log in hand as the code base counts it as dead weight, like swimming with an anvil.

Realistically, you could push the log and use it to buoy yourself as you swim.

I would like to see it changed so that a log in hand does not count as dead weight but you can swim with it, but perhaps it would take twice as long to swim with it, that would be realistic.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Jaster

Re: Swimming with a log

Post by Jaster »

The real issue is... why do you need to swim with a log?
Vertebrate

Post by Vertebrate »

A buoyancy mechanic involving a buoyancy rating for every object in the game? Or just for logs? Different buoyancies for different species of wood?
Dactor
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Jaster wrote:The real issue is... why do you need to swim with a log?
It used to be the only way to try (and fail) to retrieve a certain kind of wood, but the wilderness expansion has fixed that.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I'm not sure that's really a fix. It seems like that area was intended to be isolated so the river may need to be extended if that was the case. Either way, I doubt that if those trees were meant to be harvested they would have been placed in such a location.

I'm also not sure I see the logic behind swimming with logs. The way I see it, logs can be carried one in each hand, but if you think about it... you get about 3-5 logs per tree. That means these logs are rather substantial - large enough to make planks from. While they can be carried mechanically for ease of use, that doesn't mean they're little logs you can use as a flotation device. These logs are substantial in size and would likely just roll over on top of you and drown you if you tried to swim with them.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I can't believe Jaster posted in this thread and passed up the opportunity at bathroom humor.

People carrying the large logs at all kinda bugs me (as well as a couple other overly heavy/awkward items). Someone bug me to work on that heave command that allows you to heave over-heavy items (corpses too!) into carts or wagons.

As far as swimming with logs in general ... I'm not feeling it. Especially across a major river with a current.

And yes, that river isn't supposed to suddenly stop. Oops. Will be remedied soon.
The lore compels me!
xavier

Post by xavier »

Rias.

Hello Rias. This is your automated reminder from <insert whatever automated reminder thing you have>.
Please work on the heave command.
Thank you!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Lae

Post by Lae »

Can we heave people?
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Did that river ever get remedied?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Lae wrote:Can we heave people?
If you're Dwaedn Wyr, you can!
Kiyaani wrote:Did that river ever get remedied?
A quick glance at the IG wilderness map shows that the river has indeed been extended to go all the way to the western border of the map.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”