Rope and Climbing

Kiyaani

Rope and Climbing

Post by Kiyaani »

Since there are now several places with climbs that are challenging, would it be possible to have someone climb up and use a rope to assist others? I'm not sure how this would work mechanically.
Vertebrate

Re: Rope and Climbing

Post by Vertebrate »

You climb up and type "repunzel"
qinweiqi

Post by qinweiqi »

The infinite possibilities of getting the syntax wrong on that are hilarious:

Code: Select all

You reach the top of the cliff.
> say I'll pass the rope down guys!
You say, "I'll pass the rope down guys!"
> drop rope
You drop a rope you are holding in your right hand. It plummets down the cliff.
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

qinweiqi wrote:The infinite possibilities of getting the syntax wrong on that are hilarious:

Code: Select all

You reach the top of the cliff.
> say I'll pass the rope down guys!
You say, "I'll pass the rope down guys!"
> drop rope
You drop a rope you are holding in your right hand. It plummets down the cliff.
>say Okay, this time I'll get it right!
You exclaim, "Okay, this time I'll get it right!"
>hurl rope down
You hurl the rope down the cliff!
You watch as it falls, slowly unravelling itself, before it lands on the head of someone standing far below you.
>say Dammit!
You exclaim, "Dammit!"
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Much as I appreciate everyone's good humor on the subject, it was actually a serious suggestion to help players with low climb skill be able to experience some places which require high climb skill while in the company of others. Constructive feedback would be welcome.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

This seems reasonable to me, as long as wearing armor inhibits climbing a rope just the same as it inhibits climbing a wall face. Also, adding durability to rope would be neat. If the guy you're trying to help up the rope refuses to travel anywhere without full plate, five weapons, and 30-50 pounds of other gear, the rope should wear down pretty quickly, and eventually snap.
“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

This has been on my unofficial would-be-cool-to-do list. I think it would be rewarding to be that one character who actually trains climbing, so you can drop a rope and help others. On the other hand, it makes me kinda sad to sort of "cheapen" it for the people who trained climbing by letting the non-climbers get an easier go at it. I guess I could just make it only work specific instances and go for a happy balance. Needs to be something there that's sturdy to tie it to, after all.

Cue people asking for the ability to hammer iron spikes into the ground so they can tie a rope to it and lower it down to their nonclimbing friends. Pbtbbtbtbt.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”