Spell Aiming Pt Gain

Jaren

Spell Aiming Pt Gain

Post by Jaren »

I have been trying like a mad man to raise my poor spell aiming and I have come to the conclusion that it may need to be tweaked. I realize that there are some plans on the horizon that will hopefully solve this problem but for now I can only comment on the current situation.

As of now for every successful cast with a spell I get "0.003" skill points in spell aiming. (0.006 with training)

Typically for me this means I spend 30 minutes casting spells like a mad man and after you factor in spells that I missed, magic caster rest time to gain back fatigue, and the general hunt for baddies to kill, it comes out that, per my 30 minute training session, I might gain up to "1 to 3" whole points including the 1 point I get from training.... =(

If you can please raise this as a temporary measure until the more permanent change to the channeling and spell aiming skills are in place.
Last edited by Jaren on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
Winston Zeddmore
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Looks like there was a bug that was causing casting skillgains to go up a bit more slowly than intended after the changes to casting fatigue and roundtime. This has been tweaked to again be in line with melee and ranged weapon skillgains.
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

I would think it would be higher from the additional cost to fatigue that casting suffers from. You can fire a bow much, much longer then you can cast even a channel one spell... Unless you are planning for Elemancers and Sorcerers to gain skills which allow them to cast one channel spells without significant energy cost to be more inline with a physical ranged attack.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

No no no, you see it is meant by design that magic casters should skill up slower than every other class because, when we do get there, we will be just that much more awesome.

I also believe our developer was traumatized in his youth by over powered mages. ◕ ‿ ◕
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
Winston Zeddmore
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I want the more powerful spells to be more exhausting. The concept of a mage should be prioritizing when you think it's useful to spend extra energy and frontload all the power into a fewer, more powerful spells, and when you think you should instead be more energy-efficient and use several lesser spells. It's like dumping fuel into an afterburner - you get a nice bonus with the increased speed, but it's not very fuel-efficient in the long run. Ideally you'd cruise along during normal flight, and only use the afterburners when you need to, weighing the sacrifice (extra fuel cost) as worth the benefit (increased speed).

I agree that the simpler tiered spell costs should be reduced. They're getting fatigue both from channeling as well as the generic 5 energy casting cost. We're discussing how to best balance things. For now, I've just taken out the generic 5 energy casting cost. That may well be enough. You only suffer fatigue from the channeling. Except, of course, for spells that don't require active channeling.

I will admit I've never been a fan of the magic-focused classes. That said, I do think I've made Elemancers and Sorcerers pretty awesome.
The lore compels me!
Landion

Post by Landion »

[quote=Jaren]I also believe our developer was traumatized in his youth by over powered mages. ◕ ‿ ◕[/quote]

This made me snarf on my Mt. Dew a little.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Magic is for chumps!
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

[quote=Jaren]I also believe our developer was traumatized in his youth by over powered mages. ◕ ‿ ◕[/quote]

Hey now! I was not that over-powered before the twenty something nerfs were added in!
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Haha. Gotta love getting in on the alpha before restrictions and requirements have been put into place.
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Meh.. I blame Rithiel.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Nootau is just mad because he used up 90% of the world's magic in like a week. Hence, magic is harder to do now!
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

[quote=Nootau]Meh.. I blame Rithiel.[/quote]

It is my fault, because I'm in charge of the semis (Templars are silly and don't count), and Rias hates me, and therefore hates anything that I ask him to do. You should just feel lucky that you're not an agent and only have 3 abilities (the fourth one doesn't count because of the super high skill rank requirements).
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”