Peering into the Wilderness - telescope required

Lemuel

Peering into the Wilderness - telescope required

Post by Lemuel »

I would like to make a proposal for peering long distances:

(1) That it be no longer possible to peer in wilderness area with the naked eye, except for an abbreviated version of it mentioned in #4 below.

(2) That a new item be available in towns, the brass telescope

It would like to see it work like bandages or firestones, viz, if you have the telescope in an open container or attached to your belt, you type PEER WEST and the codebase responds with something like
You peer through your telescope to see in the west....etc.

(3) That if you are in a non-wilderness area with a wilderness exit, it be changed so that with the afore-mentioned telescope, it be allowed to PEER WILDERNESS and see what's in that room.

(4) A little tougher to code, but a character on a hill or plains who PEERS in a direction where there is a city, building, tower, etc., that an abbreviated version of the info be visible, viz the fact of those buildings, but no details or mobs visible to the naked eye. Also, if it is a forest room that he's peering at without a telescope, mention that he sees forest without any details, etc. No doubt this suggestion would be the last to be implemented due to it's complexity.

(5) That if you are in a non-wilderness room, and if you peer into the next non-wilderness room with your telescope, then you have the chance of spotting hidden creatures. I would recommend that this type of non-wilderness peering require the character to Get Telescope and be holding it while peering to have the chance of spotting hiddens, unlike #2 above.
Last edited by Lemuel on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
- locksmith Lemuel 'I do all my own stunts.'

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

This seems like a neat feature, though it'd be something I'd implement later rather than sooner. The Utasa ability idea I had (farsight lense) would fit in nicely with your concept, as an alternative means of scoping out areas.

However, I'm not sure why a spyglass would help you to see hidden people. While it certainly extends your sight, a spyglass doesn't actually help you to notice things better. Particularly considering Stealth and Perception go beyond mere sight, and apply things like sounds to the mixture.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Marauder

Post by Marauder »

I honestly prefer my idea due to the fact that this would require a new Udemi ability, and for the fact that telescopes shouldn't be so easily purchased (given their specialized creation). It's basically a scenario like being a Mummer with Telepathy. Sure, it could come in handy in select few situations, but you only get it for the fact that you need it for Mindsense, because you can so easily buy a new telepathic artifact without any real hassle, or just carry multiple on you in less suspicious containers.

Point being. It's over-complicating things, in my personal view. That and I agree with Kian on the chance to spot hidden people, especially if said people are hiding in areas with large amounts of cover (see: towns, heavy forests, et cetera).
Last edited by Marauder on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Gentlemen, all I ask for is war. A war so grand as to make Hell itself tremble. Gentlemen, I ask you as fellow brothers in arms, what is it you really want? Do you wish for further war as I do? Do you wish for a merciless, bloody war? A war whose fury is built with iron, and lightning, and fire? Do you ask for war to sweep in like a tempest, leaving not even ravens to scavenge from this Earth?!"
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I'd actually think it would make it harder to notice hidden things because, although you have magnification, you also have a reduced field of view.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

I can't believe it but.. I have to agree with Acarin on this.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Don't blame yourself. It happens from time to time.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

As far as seeing hidden (both persons and objects) in the next room, remember guys, I suggested

(1) it is a town room I am talking about, not wilderness. In other words, down the street.
(2) I suggested only the lesser, passive chance to spot the hidden, not the higher active chance

Haven't you ever seen a movie where a guy looks through a telescope and sees someone hiding under a tree or in the bushes?

As far as technology - telescopes are at least one tech level below muskets and two tech levels below flintlock revolvers.
Last edited by Lemuel on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- locksmith Lemuel 'I do all my own stunts.'

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

A spyglass still would not improve a person's chance of spotting someone hidden. Like I said, a spyglass just magnifies your vision, it does not actually improve it. And like Acarin says, you're willingly reducing your own field of view in exchange for seeing things further away.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”