Mooshie's book o' stuff n' things.

Mooshie

Mooshie's book o' stuff n' things.

Post by Mooshie »

Kingsday, 7th day of Desumbar of the year 1215

Well, It's been some time since I wrote. The trip through Lapis was about as fun as taking a splinter out, but I finally made it to the Lost Lands. Payed a gide to get me through the mountains, cost a preatty penny too, but the old man seemed impressed I was able to keep up with him. Suggested I join up with a group of like-minded folks called the Snowpine Lodge. A bit tough to find, but, I was able to find it with the help of this ranger fella. Lodge was no place for the inexperienced however, and they set me to complete some tasks in order to prove I had the mettle to join up with em. Lemme tell you, craftin a Stone arrow aint as easy as it looks! Nonetheless, I completed that bit of initiation and the Huntress said I was in. Come to think of it, I never did pick up her name...

Anyway, the lands are not as dangerous as some folks had made it out to be. During my short time here, I've already seen some strangeness that defies explanation! The woods themselves crawl with bandits and dangerous canim, or worse, netherim. A dark voice muttering about Blood is sometimes heard in the minds of all, and worse, seems to affect some folks in a particularly bad way occasionally! I stumbled upon a Totem, made entirely of bone, and covered in blood! The air around me felt like I was caught in a winter blizzard, and I got outta there as fast as my legs could carry me. But, just like that, the damn thing vanished! Another time, I was getting Talon fixed up when the sorcerer who was seen to him and his companion walked in. Next thing I know, that damn voice is going on about blood again, and this pour womans foot just starts gushin blood! I dont know what that's all about, but, the less I see or hear about this Blood God and whatever nonsense he's on about, the better.

Oh! I better write up about talon here. I always was nervous hearing about nether and those netherim monster ma told me about growin up. She was a deeply religious woman, and those stories she could tell made my imagination run wild back then. Pa always told me to pay those stories no mind, and to do less crying and do more thinking. Well, way I figure, best way to get over my fear of somethin is to get to know it! Now, I wont be caught dead wanderin around some nether filled place just to get over my old fears, but I did happen to run into this sorceress at this bazaar in the woods! Woman told me should could summon a nether creature called a blotling, and that it would be bound to me or some such. Wel, I went ahead and got my finger pricked, an that's how Talon came to be! He looks like a regular hawk, just..well, dark. and quiet. Aso, you know, wispy. But, I treat him just like any other man treats a hawk. No petting though. I read a sign with all sorts of big words and complicated meanings, but the gist of it is I gotta take care of him. Plan is to just keep him along with me, show him the sights and sounds of this place. Who knows, maybe Talon will learn something from all this explorin I'm doin eh?

Not met too many folks, but, the folks I have met seem friendly enough. Seems to be some strange politics in this land, with a dark place called Corvus outpost in a fued with this mining town o Shadgard. From the talk you would think that Corvus is filled with deamons itself! I've stayed clear o the place, the area has the feel of nether to it, and while I might be fine with Talon, I'm not gonna risk my hide just to see what lies in that dark place. Shadgard seems a simple enough town, filled with honest hard workin miners, and church folk. Though, I ended up checkin my coin pouch and found out it had been snatched! Folks just shook their head and told me thieves are all over the town, and tha's just the way of life there. Good think I prefer spending my time out in the wilds, but I'll have to keep a sharp eye on my things if I sell their in the future. Other two big towns are Haiban and Mistral Lake. Haiban seems a good enough town, filled with folks bound together in some sort of coalition, and is a good place to sell. Good place to meet folks who know how to make things too apparently, but I'm always tryin to rely on my own hands then others. Still, might be a good place to learn how to do a thing or two. Mistral Lake, while a good fishing town, seems a dark and dreary place of late. Some sort of troubles are going on with it, and everyone seems on edge. While I liked the town for it's good fishing at first, whatever troubles it's going through has it taking over nearby hamlets. I'm not one to have folks far off telling me how to live my life, so, I got myself a mule, named the Stubborn thing Grumps, and a wagon, and got all my belongings and coin and headed on out of there. I'll travel with everything I need in the wagon. Not keen on carrying my riln with me though, so I'll have to find somewhere to store it. Maybe I'll find a bank not affiliated with any of these large towns, so I can avoid any political nonsense, if bad times arise.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Re: Mooshie's book o' stuff n' things.

Post by Rias »

/swoopin

'Tis I, the Lore Nitpicker!
Mooshie's Journal wrote:The trip through Lapis was about as fun as taking a splinter out,
Lapis is massively, massively xenophobic. Their borders are thoroughly guarded and they don't really ever find reason to allow outsiders into their land. So, more likely you'd have made your way around Lapis, perhaps going through some of the little villages and such that form just outside their borders. Having actually been in Lapis would mean you'd potentially be privvy to things about the place that no outsiders (or PCs) should know about. This is why there's no choice to be from there in the character creation process.

Otherwise, fun read! Nice to see your character's opinions of things.

/swoopout
The lore compels me!
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

That's actually what I mean, Mooshie does not know about it, just went around on his way here. I'll try to paint a clearer picture in my future entries.
sona

Post by sona »

Just so you know, Mooshie is quickly becoming one of my favorites of late. Please enter into conscripted friend-service, thanks!
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Queensday, 8th day of Desumbar of the year 1215

Lost Talon today. A call went out, infested were stirrin up trouble in a farm called Tarueka. Went there, thought to offer what help I could, but ended up with an arrow in my chest and gettin dragged out. Knew then that I was way out of my league. Fortunately, I was able to help bring the fallen to the church with my wagon. So, I was helpful in that regard at least. Got me to thinkin..maybe I should keep a steady supply of bandages and poultices in there, stored away for just such an occasion. Snowpine is always asking me for herbs to make medicine. Maybe time I should save some for myself.

Wrote Samira, the summoner who brought me Talon. Hopin she makes a trip back to these lands soon. Thanked her for helping me find my friend. It'll be lonely nights out in the wild without Talon to listen to me gabbin on. But, life goes on, and so must I. Hope I get to see you again friend.

Through it all, I'm thinking...where were the Tse Gaiyan? Aint this something they are supposed to deal with? I thought they were the ones who are supposed to fight the Infested. Instead, folks just came together to help out...but the battle was a real struggle, though I took little part in it. I hope this is not the norm for them.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Lordsday, 9th day of Desumbar of the year 1215.

So, last night as I was just finished toasting the memory of Talon, I figured it could not hurt to learn more about the stuff Talon was made of. I've never been knowledgeable about magic and things of that nature, so I figured I'd ask one of the sorcerers who previously patched up Talon. The Sorcerer seems quite knowledgable about matters regarding the nether, and took the time to explain much about the nether and netherim in general. However, what he told me did not exactly fill me with..uplifting feelings about the stuff. Apparently the stuff gathers in graveyards and battlefields, and he claims there is also a connection with nether and blood in some way. What began as a way I thought I might end up with Talon retrieved ended with me learning more about the stuff then I knew before..though, I'm not sure if I wanted to know now. Something that gathers in Graveyards and Battlefields and hungers for blood or something? Aengels above. Either way, he said that retrieving Talon would be difficult if not impossible, and thus that particular idea seems to be a dead end. I attempted to return to the farm myself after, and see what I could find myself..but, nothing but infested were there.

I took shelter in a small clearing and awoke the next morning being asked for by a nice fellow, an explorer and adventurer who lead the attack against the Infested at the farm. He payed for a delicious meal at the Shadgard bakery, and thanked me for the aid I gave during the conflict, such as it was. He gave me a new longbow with which to use, in addition to some coin to perhaps resummon Talon the next time Samira is in town. I was quite thankful for his gifts. We spoke briefly about the conflict and I shared my hopes to be better prepared for it in the future. I learned he is a citizen of Shadgard, and is quite fond of the town. Though it seems like a nice lace, filled with hardworking people, I am loathe to get involved in any potential conflicts that may arise from being associated with any of these large towns. In the Wilds, I am my own man, and obey my own rules. Well...for the most part..

See, I picked up some work getting some lumber for..well, I cant rightly recall the name. Royal-Purple, I think. Gah, I gotta remember to write this stuff down! Anyway, I'm minding my own buisness and just finished cutting down my last tree when this woman comes outta nowhere demanding I stop cutting the trees! Apparently this druid she says that I'm gurting the "Gaea" Or some such. She then asked me all sorts of questions about what I was doing, and why! Apparently even in the woods there are people who gotta poke their noses in a mans business. Anywho, I did not think it wise to get on the bad side of a druid..I've heard some strange things about folks like that. I dont wanna wake up and be surrounded by a pack of wolves, or have a tree come to life and eat me, or whatever it is they do. I answered her questions and she did..something. Some ritual to heal the land I guess. Luckly I did not need to cut anymore trees and she left, while I finished my work and loaded my wagon up. One the one hand, I'm sure she could probabbly tell me all sorts of stuff about living in the wild...on the other, I'm not keen on being told I need to respect a plant, or hugging a tree to make it feel better. I'll respect the land that I live on and provides for me as much as the next guy, But I'm not gonna be walkin on eggshells so I dont want to offend a flower by steppin on it. Dont those druids have infested to be fighting? I think that's what they do right? Gotta stop a simple man trying to make a living though, I'll never understand it. Seemed a nice enough druid though, so I'll probably keep my tree cuttin down just to avoid pissen her off.
Last edited by Mooshie on Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Careful. When you start talking about groups or individuals in a publicly-broadcasted OOC medium like this where they can't really respond in their defense ("It's just my own character's private perceptions and opinions!", "Your character/group doesn't ICly know I'm writing these things in my journal!"), these types of threads tend to get closed. There's also the issue of broadcasting IC information about other people that they might prefer not be shared via a mass OOC medium to others. In the end, a lot of information gets shared about other people or groups, often in a less-than-favorable light, and others read it and form impressions of characters or groups based on these things.

These little public-posted journals are fun, but it's best kept to information about your own character, and not about others. Keeping an IC journal in-game and sharing stuff you've written about other people with others in-game is one thing. Posting it on the BBS is another.
The lore compels me!
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Ahh I see. Well! I'll keep these little blurbs more self -focused in the future. Sorry if I rustled any jimmies talking about anyones characters. I have edited out the names of folks to protect the innocent!
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Artisday, 11th day of Desumbar of the year 1215

Another interestin day! Started off simple enough, finishn that order for lumber, before goin off and tryin to gather herbs to prepare the aid wagon, when I ran into another sorcerer. Now, this particular fella he..I dunno. He gives me a dangerous vibe. Like when your huntin a deer and suddenly you hear a wolf growlin in the dark behind you. Anyway, he patched up Talon before, so I figured I'd ask him his thoughts on the matter...Well, unlike my other sorcerer friend, this guy sounds like he spends to much time playin with the stuff. I decided i might need to try a diffrent approach to the thing, and spoke to a Templar, got his thoughts on the nether. Got a more sensible answer, least to me. Anyway, what I learned from all this is the nether is quite a dangerous substance. It seems to have a..will of it's own, and that folks who tend to deal with it run the risk of doin this they might not regularly do themselves. But, in the end, it's can be useful, and even helpful, if folks are careful around it. I feel like I've looked into the stuff as much as I would want to, and the end result of all my questions is the same conclusion I came to before - As long as I'm careful, and treat Talon the same as any other dangerous wild animal I'm tryin to tame, I should be ok. I was afraid for a bit, thinking trying to get Talon back might not be so wise, and that he might be made of pure evil itself. But, I've learned a bit, and now knowin what I know, I'm better fer it.

In other news, I got accepted as part of a Ships crew! met with the captain and some of the other crew, and discussed all the particulars of this particular voyage he wants to take. I'm lookin forward to this trip he wants to take, and wonder what kind o fish I might be able to catch out there! It's gonna be quite exciting, just going out on the boat and seein whats what. Never been out on the sea before, but I think it's gonna be amazing.

Still workin on gathering the stuff I need to turn my wagon into a sort of mobile aid wagon to help thems that get hurt around these lands. I hope I'm able to get it done before some other conflict with the infested springs up, or whatever else causes trouble in these lands.
Tangela
CLOK Patron

Post by Tangela »

I really enjoyed meeting Mooshie the other day, and have enjoyed reading his perspective on things. Maybe we'll have time to rp at more length another time.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

I'm sure we'll have plenty of chances to RP together! Mooshie lives out of his wagon, and I'm steadily increasing the time he spends in the wilds as much as I think is viable for the most part. Though he's not as reverent of nature as a ranger or a Druid, I'm sure he's gonna want to learn as much as he can about living in the wilds and such.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Lightsday, 13th day of Desumbar of the year 1215.

A lot to put down since I last wrote...dunno where to start. Continue to meet with folk livin in these parts, and for the most part they seem like descent people. Spent most of yesterday in one tavern or another, listenin to rumors or anything that might be interesting. Much prefer the Grizzled Den to the taverns in those big towns. Those Dwedyn folks sure know how to drink. Anyway, after doin that for a time, I got the itch to go out into the wilds again, explore the lands and see what's around.

Well, I found some places that were just beautiful. Little bits of beautiful nature tucked away. I found other places that did not look so nice, or safe, and decided I would save those spots for later. Ended up finding a nice trail, and in my explorations, found a cave. It's preatty big, and looks like it used to be a place where other folks camped out. While I'm exploring the thing I come across this tucked away alcove. Inside, a man lay dead, his chest torn open, and blood everywhere. Not somethin you see everyday.

The short of it is I called in some folk, and they are sayin it might be the work of this Blood Cult. Looks like that fella was not the first to die here either. I dunno what it is...but, the situation just irks me. No one deserves to die like that. I explored the area a bit more, as much as I could anyway..and this kinda thing happening here? Just feels wrong. This is a place of nature. You take the time to listen and watch, and you can see it while your walkin on the trail. It ain't right.

So, me being the idiot that I am, took it upon myself to try and camp out in this cave here, and see who might decide to come sniffin around. Maybe catch whoever is murderin folk. Bad idea for me, as I ain't no better at fightin then anyone else...but, I gotta do somethin. People are sayin death is common in these lands, and yea that might be true, but these folks got killed here deserve some kinda justice. If this were happening in a town I bet folks would be all uppity then. Happens in the wilds, and no one cares.

Well, I care. I'm gonna do what I can to try and put a stop to this sorta nonsense. I might not be able to do anything about a Blood God whisper in in folks heads, but the way I figure it, a guy would be crazy to fight an Immortal. So, why not turn this little bloody alcove into a shrine to somethin better instead? I wandered the trail, and the caves here have carvings of them nature spirits folks worship I think. I figure the Hunter Bogvasr, well he might fit right in here. I'm not the most devout man...but I can do what anyone can do, and give an honest try. Figure I'll try and hunt the best animals I can find, honor their spirits, and honor the Hunter my sacrificing the trophy to him. Truth is...I have no clue what I'm doing. But, it's better then nothin.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Queensday, 15th day of Desumbar of the year 1215.

My Vigil. That's what the Templar called it when he left me in the cave, after I brought him over to show him what I had found. He told me it was risky for me to stay. Untrained in combat as I am, how would I stand against whoever was murdering these people? I told him I had to try anyway. I had to do something. I found these bodies. I felt a...responsibility to see this through. So, I stayed, to keep watch over the cave. I prepared for a long wait.

At dawn, I hunted. Hunting a stag was not easy for me. My steps always alerted them, and chasing them worse me out. I tried a diffrent tactic, just waiting. The stag could always hear my steps as I approached..so now I took none. Patience was rewarded, and a lucky shot from me brought one down. I drug it back to the cave, and said a little prayer, offering the product of my hunt to the Hunter. I planned to honor the stag by ensuring every piece of him would be used by me for something, so that nothing would go to waste. But, there was plenty of time for that, so my day continued.

The cave had plenty of logs, but I wanted to ensure I stayed warm, so I cut more. I remembered the season, and the orphans down in Shadgard. I figured my time would best be spent trying to make them toys. My whittling leaves much to be desires. Hopefully I'll be able to make something recognizable for them soon. Practice makes perfect, and I figured I had plenty of time. Until a man walked in, dragging the corpse of a guard behind him.

I wish I could say I stared this man down, unslung my bow, and put an arrow through his eye. Hell, I ain't even seen what the mans eyes looked like. Guy came across me while I was chopping wood in the cave. So focused I was, didn't even notice him standing there at first. He growled, wrong place, wrong time. I can't remember what he said, but I got the jist of it. I knew what it was, how it was gonna end. Except he let me leave. Dunno why, can't fathom his reasons...but, who am I do ask? Got my mule and rode out of there. Cowardly. Kinda man runs away like that? Me, apparently. Called for help and...well, a lot of nothing happened. Man escaped, though he list his knife, something important to him he's willin to kill for. A clue. A lead. And bait to whoever is holdin it. Poor bastard.

Eventually got in touch with a man folks told me would be of help in this situation. Got the ranger who had the knife over, and the thing was examined. Might even have a lead, though who knows for sure. Got some possibilities from it, a sorcerer, or some..servant of that Immortal, Aranas. I left the investigating to those good at it, and wished the ranger who had faced the murderer luck. Poor bastard looks like he was already beginning to lose it. Then again, who could blame him? Death ain't an easy thing to face, and that's what this murderer was.

With all this trouble goin on, I'm thinking I should take folks up on their offer to train me. Never been much of a fighter myself, but seems like this lands dangers were not overstated like I first though. Even the Templar seemed resigned to the way of things. Man murderin folks? Could be worse. It's a grim situation indeed when even a Templar is unfazed by death. I can't do anything about that, but I'm hoping training my skills a bit make things a bit better.

Oh, spoke to one of my sorcerer associates, and he says he has a lead on a ritual that can get Talon back! Problem is, it's gonna be bloody, or something like that. Hopefully I get my little buddy back soon. I'm missin our long conversations. I also decided I would stick around the cave, for multiple reasons. It's a good cave, and finding a place in the wilds to rest yer head is rare. I also want to try to make this murderers life a bit difficult, if I'm always callin attention to the place while he's doing...whatever he does there. Finally, the place would make a good shrine to the Hunter, I think. And with as much evil as is going in there? He prolly needs to see what's goin on there anyway. It looks like I have a lot keepin me busy. I hope it does not end up killing me on a more permanent basis.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Lordsday, 16th day of Desumbar of the year 1215.

The Murder returned to the cave, just as I predicted. Threatened me with death if I called for help. Knowing these lands though, it would would have been a roll of the dice if anyone answered. Instead of gutting me like a fish, the murderer told me he has some sort of grudge against the western coalition, and that the only ones killed here would be members of that group, and bandits. Apparently, he eats them. As if things were not horrid enough. Told me to warn others away from his territory, and to quit trespassing. Preatty sure there is an implied or else with that. Not able to much else about it, I went on my way. Whole thing left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. If this is what it's like living in these lands, no wonder folks are so fatalistic and dour. Wrote to a man named Erwin, explaining the situation and warning him of the danger. With any luck he'll send some folks over too clear the cave out, maybe catch this murderer and put an end to his ways. What kinda sick man eats folk? Funny thing is, I went much later, with a party of folks lookin to find the murderer, and found a skinned jackrabbit. Maybe it's a sign that I should keep leaving offerings there for the Hunter.

Since then, I've spent most of my time continuing to explore the land. Much of it is dangerous. I fear running into danger with every cave I go into, or any trail I follow. If it's not the wildlife, it's netherim or infested. Add to that the bandits and brigands, it makes a man want to reconsider his life choices! Everything in this land seems to be a struggle, but what can you do but keep on keepin on. I decided I would try to contact one of the dangerous neighbors I would be sharing livin in the outdoors with, the Dunwyr. I've heard the rumors, dangerous folk who put an arrow through a man soon as talk to him. I had to pull out a few from one myself! But, they are still human, in their own way. Communication of some kind is needed, at least so I know what NOT to do. Seems everywhere I wander is a place them Dunwyr consider sacred! Managed to get the name of one from one of them Tse Gaiyan folk, and wrote em a letter. Dunno if they even get mail, but it's worth a shot.

On a more upbeat note, a comment I made on the ruinous state of the land I see as I explore, in particular an abandoned hamlet, seems to have gathered momentum! A local Artisan has decided she would take charge and try to organize some form restoring the hamlet, so it is once again fit for livin. Some folk are against it, for one reason or another, but I think it's a good sign that folks are willin to look past their walls for once and see what's goin on out here. A little ray of hope in this troubled land.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Artisday, 18th day of Desumbar of the year 1215.

I killed a man. Well, not some random farmer or whatever, but a bandit. Idiot had kept bothering me while I was cutting some lumber for a contract. I was able to get a friend of mine to help chase others off. Who would not be afraid of a Hulking Giganti warrior runnin at ya? This time though, I decided my friend needed help, and unslung my bow. Next thing I know, the man slumps to the ground, my arrow Throuh his chest. Now I know It's not my fault, fool was asking for it, but still...I've gone this long without having to kill anyone, I mean infested sure, or Canim, folks ain't right in the head...but come to the lost lands, and it seems like death is the only language it understands. I don't know what troubles that man had in his life that drove him to such desperation, but, It sure as well was not worth his life.

No word back from the Dunwyr lady I wrote, though I did hear of an attack on somone cutting trees down in their part of the woods. Apparently, a whole mob of em came out to attack this one person...for cutting down trees! It's starting to make me think there might not be any common ground or, common humanity, to be shared at all...

In the midst of that, I decided I will focus on doing what I do best, and bury myself in labor. Although I can feed myself easy enough, and have a small amount in the bank for my needs, I do desire greater things, like any normal person. Of late I find myself walking down the streets and looking at houses. Though living out of my wagon is exciting, there are moment when I do desire the simple comforts of my own home, where my privacy is assured, and a bandit is less likely to take everything I own. With those thoughts in mind I am giving careful consideration as to where I would even purchase this home I desire, for the politics of this land can be dangerous, and I don't want to get mixed up in anything beyond my ability to understand. While I might spend most of my time outdoors, it will be a comfort knowing I will have a warm place to rest my head should I desire, at least for a time.
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

Seriously love reading this stuff. when's the next chapter! :)
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Lightsday, 20th day of Desumbar of the year 1215

A dark day. I remember thinking today would be a good day. I had strangely enough received a flower in the mail. I went about my buisness, thinking on what new types of trees I would find and try to sell for lumber. Then..the infested came. It started with a skirmish in Tarueka Farm, with a group of infested stealing a riverboat. This had gathered some attention, and folks of diffrent stripes came together to see what was going on. A rumbling then came from the earth itself. An ominous sign..but most of these folks seemed to remain calm. I did my best to emulate their manner, though I was surely fearful. In a flash, infested came pouring seemingly out of nowhere, and quickly a battle commenced on the road to the farm. They came in two waves, at it's vanguard a worm of giant proportions, the likes of which I had never seen before. Though the conflic was brutal, we overcame the first wave, only to be assaulted by another, this group filled with men who seemed quite familiar to me...woodsman, hunters. I was shocked. But, they came at us in a frenzy, and once more the battle ended with them defeated. It was what I thought would be an end to anymore infested shenanigans. How wrong I was.

I decided to wander to the town of Emleth after the battle...and what I saw there surprised me. Where once the hamlet was empty, now we're mounds of sickly flesh covered in slime, and infested animals around. I called for aid, and attempted to scout the hamlet, but that proved to be a mistake...when I was recovered, a group had once again started to form, to retake the hamlet. Perhaps we were still high on our previous victory. I had misgivings...but I trusted those leading us. We steeled ourselves, and our mob went in. It was a massacre. I had attempted to set a lockblade trap, but quickly realized we were doomed. I quickly fell with my comrades, though somone must have dragged me out. Even then, chaos reigned. An killed fell upon the real, slaying those who survived. Eventually, I returned to life once more, and made the long journey back to Emleth. An accord had been struck, the return of our dead in exchange for leaving Emleth to the infested. What can I say about how it feels to witness infested carriers dragging the slime covered corpses of allies? How can I describe the feeling of having to stack their bodies in my wagon like so much wood? I brought them to temple, and left them to be treated by the monks. I grew weary of it all..who would not? I returned to my sanctuary and played a sorrowful lament to the loss of Emleth for a long time.

What is there to do now? Depression overcame me. Not only was a hamlet lost, but many that fought there may now be infested themselves. However, though hope may have left me, I feel a man must do what he can in circumstances like this. I will ready my bow, and prepare myself. Though Emleth may be lost, a cancer in the lands, it may be contained. Infested creatures surround the hamlet and roam freely. This cannot be allowed. I will take it upon myself to see they are hunted down, and contained, as much as I am able. I will not let this tragedy still my ability to try and do some small good. I am a hunter. I might not be much in a fight against a man...but my skills will be of use here. I expect I shall be busy.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Queensday, 22nd day of Desumbar of the year 1215.

I write this from the shelter of a burned down cabin. The forest around Emleth is now shrouded in fog, in addition to the sudden rain. It has made hunting a bit more difficult, to say the least. On the bright side, I hope it has made it more difficult for these infested creatures to spot me. Emleth continues to be in the hands of the infested, and as far as I am aware, there is no talk of attempting to retake it. Perhaps with the Winter Solstice at hand, people would rather stay in there homes and think of more pleasant things. Even now, I get to hear them talk of baking pies and farming, as if an army of infested were not sitting in a hamlet, doing who knows what. And it is an army. I payed a mercenary a good price to scout out the inside of the hamlet. A wonder in itself, his ability to sneak part the horde of infested guarding the entrance. However, what he found within leaves me with little comfort. More slime mounds, and even more infested..he said this is the largest gathering of them he had ever seen. I can hardly believe it myself. Apparently they retreated from the Town of Taeruka, and congregated in Emleth. I do not know how I feel about reclaiming a town in exchange for another...it seems like crushing bugs. You crush one, and suddenly a hundred more are there to bother you.

Still, I have taken to my chosen task, and have spent much time studying the infested Deer and Stag that wander about. Though they are not overtly hostile, they are dangerous, working together almost like wolves in order to kill whatever threatens them. Oddly enough, the tiny squirrels are much more aggressive, hunting down any they catch sigh of. I know little of resen, but I certainly hope these various bites and gouges I have received is not how Infestation occurs. So far I have been alone in my task, which I find surprising, considering the fact that a very real danger exists if these infested creatures spread. I almost toyed with the idea of contacting the Dunwyr woman to aid me..but I feel that is a dangerous idea at the best of times. I forgot to write on how I met her.

We arranged a meeting in the wilds, where she seems to simply appear from behind a tree. A talk woman with fiery red hair, standing on the balls of her feet, human hands that seemed more claw like then anything. I immediately regretted my judgment in wanting to meet a Dunwyr. However, despite her gruff and dangerous demeanor, she seemed willing enough to talk, and was able to ask her a few questions about her beliefs, and why her people kill others for what I would consider the most silly of reasons. Apparently, these Dunwyr are like Rangers, but taken to an extreme. They mourn the loss of the "Old Ways" and consider city dwelling folks to be soft and weak. I suspect they would rather us live in a time where everyone lived in caves. Though I myself am able to do so, and enjoy the freedom of it, I could never fathom to bring myself to murder somone, or eat them, in the name of...whatever it is they believe. A Tree is a tree. I'll appreciate it for the warmth it gives me, for the things I can make out of it, heck, even for being able to use it as fuel in a fire. Getting irked cause somone cut down a tree to make a living? That's the sign of a dangerous mind.

Anyway, she warned me to steer clear of anyplace with the strange angular runes they have painted on themselves, and that is something I plan to oblige as I continue to explore the lands. I will admit, she must have some kinda power, as she called forth a damn caribou, and rode off on it's back! And here I thought they were just for Eatin! On the whole, I'm hopin to avoid run ins with these folks, but, something inside me says that if I catch them tryin to murder some poor idiot pluckin the wrong fruit, there might be issues. Even more reason I continue to prepare myself against the worst these lands has to throw at me.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Knightsday, 24th day of Desumbar of the year 1215

It's been quiet the last few days, for which I am thankful. As I sit here loking up at the Holly tree in Shagard, I cant help but be filled wih hope for the year to come. I've not been in this land long, but I feel like I have found a place I might be able to call home. Here is hoping the troubles that plague the land wil be less severe, and that a bight future awaits the lands.

I'm still continuing my cull of the infested animals within Emleth, still alone, as far as I am aware. However, I have noticed more Tse Gaiyan about as o late, and I take it as a sign that plans might be made to retake the hamlet. I had mentioned tht my hunt causes quite a hunger in me, as chasing stag and deer is n easy task. It was mentioned to me by a certain experienced member of my Snowpine Lodge that a man could use the infested deer I am hunting as a method of sustenance. I had replied that I had tasted the flesh of infested meat before, and that it was quite an unpleasant experience indeed. However, he claims that if one eats enough of the meat, a man will develop for themselves an immunity to the stomach pains that the meat brings, and thus turn the meat into a viable steady source of food. While I am a bit sceptial about the mans claims, he does not strike me as one to jest Indeed, if I had to describe the man, he seems quite a serious individual. He is also an experienced member of the lodge, one of the most experienced if his words are to be believed, and I feel like he would indeed have more wisdom on this matter then I would. So, my plan is to attempt to adapt myself to the infested meat, thus making my hunts easier, and coming out a bit stronger for it. I will begin my adding bits of the infested meet to my normal meals that I eat throughout the day, and slowly try to increase it, in hopes that my body will be able to adapt. I feel like I'm in for a world of pain...but, the Snowpine teaches that one has to be able to survive. If Infested meat is what is available, I must be able to eat it, if I am able.

A local artisan of some renown approached me, and apparently wishes to assist me in building a cabin! Apparently she seeks to increase her knowledge of building such things, for future endeavors. I happily agreed, and told her I would of course assist her in whatever ways I am able. The first step included scouting out a few locations. Though the first few seemed good, they lacked a spark that drew me in. My own choice for a location is unfortunately too close to the infested now to be safe. However, the last location she showed me was quite a site. I had thought I had explored much of the lands, but here she brought me to a location I had never seen, and found a wonderful place that I might make into a home. I am unsure how she plans on accomplishing this...but, I am excited to see what she will do.

Well, I have lingered here enjoying the quiet for too long. Though most will be in their homes, enjoying the solstice with loved ones, I must continue my hunt.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Citisday, 25th day of Desumbar of the year 1215

Spent my mornin around Shadgard, just lookin at holly tree for a bit, figuring out somethin helpful to do. Thats when it came up on me. See, North of Shadgard is this strange Farm, and within is a bunch of livin Scarecrows, apparently made o nether. They got a sign out front o there land, tellin folks to keep out..but, apparently some folks dont seem to really care much about what they think. So, they decided to try and get a wall build I guess, to keep folks out, from what I can tell from the wooden construction they got going on anyway. Decided I might help hurry that along, and speed it up. That way, folks dont get hurt by these scarecrows, and they dont bother anyone outside the farm for stirrin em up. I went ahead and got a wagon, cut down a few trees, and filled em up with cants. Got one of my Wydvern buddies to come and protect me while I rolled the wagon in there, with a little note sayin they could use the lumber for that construction. I thought it would be a bit more difficult, considerin I wanted to deliver the wagon without harmin them scarecrows, but It turn out to be a smooth delivery, even with scarecrows attacking us. Hope those ornery bastards enjoy their Solstice gift.

Continued my huntin of the damn infested animal around Emleth, and started includin the meat in my meals. Strange enough, the deer meet itself seems perfectly fine..no stomach pains like before. I've cut into scores of deer and stag now, and though their skin is covered in fungus, their meat seems to still be fine and edible. My Wydvern buddy gave me some tips on how I might be able to keep the resen away incase I start hearin voices, or seein things, or some such, But I think it is unnecessary. Cuttin up squirrel though, I do occasionally find the meat riddled with tumors. I have not tried to eat them, cause I'm sure those would cause me great pain again. With what I'm seein, seems to me that maybe the resen effects smaller critters then larger animals. Maybe thats why the squirrels insides are sometimes all tumor riddled, and the deer appear fine/ I aint no expert though, and I expect them rangers know more about this kinda thing then I would.

with Talon gone, my days are much quieter, and lonely. I still aint seen or heard anything about that Samira woman who summoned em, nor anything from any of the sorcerers I've spoken with about gettin Talon back, or a blotling to replace him. I'm thinkin it might be a lost cause. I've noticed there are starving coyotes always pestern me on my way to Shadgard..might try to keep some fat handy to feet em. Might be one of gets friendly, and make a good hunting buddy.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Lightsday, 27th day of Desumbar of the year 1215
A crazy day! Made me realize I need to hide out better out here. Tried to have a normal day, but next thing you know, folks start stirrin up trouble with the scarecrows for no reason. Had some Spider worshipin fella go stompin in there and killin a whole bunch, darin anyone to stop him. Course no one did, or could. Heard the man beat down a Templar and a Wydvern for touchin stakes the man is leavin around everywhere. Creepy...but it made me realize I gotta be proactive about keepin myself and what's mine safe. Too many things creepin out here in the wilds willin to steal and to kill, and other manner of weirdness. My artisan friend is gonna be disappointed, now that I dont need her buildin a cabin for me and all, but I could push it off no more. I decided to become a homeowner. It's a good thing too...damn crazy Spider worshipin Murderer attacked me and stole my wagon!

It just seem to get worse and worse in these lands. No justice to be had anywhere. Hell, I only escaped the loons axe by the skin of my teeth. What's the point in putting in any effort when no one cares what happens to anyone else? Without my wagon, I think my days of wanderin the wilds are goin to be over fer a bit. I decided to become a citizen of Misty Lake. Though I aint feelin right about them taken over hamlets, I can see now that these lands are dangerous enough that someone needs to make these lands safe. I even applied for that damn Mistwatch, even though I hate takin order from folks, and people tellin me how to live. When a man cant even cut down a tree without being attacked, somethin needs to be done. Maybe startin small with the Mistwatch might be a good start. I dunno if they will have any use fer my skills survivin in the wilds, but maybe I'll learn somethin about gettin used to these Bigger towns...
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Kingsday, 28th day of Desumbar of the year 1215

How is it, that the folks of this land can see the evils that surround and befall them..and do nothing? Is it because they are so used to it? I feel like those who seek to help others, or wont tolerate the nonsense going on in this land, is a rare sight, while those who accept that such things must be, will be, are as numerous as the stars. It boggles my mind. Here, you see one fratrenizing and making weapons for a known murderer, knowing what they wil be used for, and not carin. There, another has drinks at a bar with the worshiper of some nameless evil or another...without a care in the world. Even the Templars seem ineffective, seeming to struggle to keep whatever semblance of peace can be had..and yet, they only provide ground for these types of folks to grow. I would prefer to be a man of action, instead of being forced to vent my frustrations in this damned book.

There is so much to do that must be done, it feels overwhelming, even when I try to take a day to relax, unwind, carve wood. If I could make a strike against these evils I would, but I am only one man, and my skill is much less then those I have seen. I can scarcely fight off a common bandit roving the woods, much less the various person of evil that I see calmly walking about the lands, without a care in the world. I cannot even ask to be trained..for who can I trust to do so? Old stories say the Hunter does not suffer evil to live, no matter where they are hiding. I find his brand of justice much more satisfying then the teaching of the church. I'm as frakin greedy as the next guy, wantin coin for a good ale, and to pay for a buxom tavern wench to warm this new bedroll I have in my cottage, but I'll be damned if I dont try to help folks needin it against some damn loon or bully goin off and makin others into toys.

It's so hard to see this and not get angry. But, I gotta remained focus on what I can do, and not on what I cant. Emleth's forests needin to be culled. Start little, move on to bigger things. I hope those Mistwatch folks get back to me..maybe I'll learn a thing or two from em. At least I'll be able to start doin some small things to try and help folk, and keep my mind off how I should just put an arrow through half the folks in this land I see. Far as I'm concerned, those who tolerate folks who do evil, are no better then them folks doin it themselves. Maybe this is why I dont do well with people...maybe I should just take a long spell in the wilds and forget abut people and their troubles.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Artisday, 1st day of Januarum of the year 1216

Busy busy busy. Where can a fella even start. Been struggling with coin of late, so I've taken to cutin trees and sellin lumber. All the while, the land keeps on keepin on. Hamlet of Keth seems like it's been abandoned, Misty Lake pulin up their troops protectin it and leavin it empty, only bandits walkin there now. Wrote some letter to see what's what, but I doubt I'll get a response. More I learn about Misty Lake, the more I get the feelin this town has some secrets that are gonna stay burie no matter who goes pokin around. Not my ideal place to live, but at least they got a voice representin the people now. Here is hopin it stays that way...

I wish I could say we made progress with Emleth. The Infested have tried to break out, spread through the forest. Bit of fightin, and we got the forest cleared of loggers and trappers, but damn if they dont keep comin back. Hell, even thought we cleared the hamlet, thinkin they spread themselves out. But they just came back in even bigger numbers and settled right in again. It's a damn shame. More folks are callin for the place to be torn down, let the forest take over. However, I've made not that it's these same folks that have their heads on wanted posters, or are friendly with those types...and I find myself wonderin why they are so eager to tear a place down and destroy it. Maybe destroyin things is in their nature. Some people are just like that I suppose.

I'm just plain tuckered out by it all. Captain of the Seaboat supposed to be settin off soon if I'm not mistakin. I've never been an sea goin fella, but I wont say I'm not excited by the prospect of getting out of these troubled lands, of only for a short time.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Lordsday, 13th day of Januarum, 1216

Well, been some time since I wrote. Nothing good to write about...indeed this year is off to a poor start. The world continues on, and evil deeds seem to be commonplace, even amongst those who would do good. I had tried my hand at playing the hero...to do my part at making the land at least a bit brighter. In that, I find I have failed. These lands are aptly named..they are indeed lost. I no longer bother with trying to to lift a hand to try and save it any longer. It is indeed easier to ignore the troubles of this land, to hide in my home, and bother myself with the simple efforts in living. I keep myself fed, fishing in peace in Misty Lake, and keep my head down. My wagon was stolen from, what I had within taken. No I can't even find the effort of will to track the thief down. Indeed another symptom of the lands on the will of the people. Fishing seems to be the only thing that brings any relaxation to me. I shall spend my time doing that then. A simple life fishing is better then risking my undying body to be slaughtered over and over again. I no longer wish to experience the pain of death any longer.

Undying..those who do not live with it might think it is a blessing. It's a curse. How much pain have we suffered with each death. Nightmares of our deaths haunting our dreams. Why would I be given this? I thought to change the world..Hell, I can't even Change a wagon wheel without effort.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Artisday, 15th day of Januarum, 1216

It's strange what it would take to make a man loose faith in his fellow man. After being robbed, attacked while trying to log? Just trying to make coin? A man just trying to make a living? It sickens me, what people are willing to do to one another...at least the beasts in the wild could be understood. I have abandoned everything, my cottage, my hope that anything could be done to better things for folks in these lands. I'm done with them all. Even the Hunter avoids these lost lands...how else could those who do such evil things to another be allowed to stand and prosper? True, some few do remain who seek to do good..but I have little hope for them. I wish them well, I really do...but it sickens me to watch others being attacked, bodies being staked and left to rot..sons losing fathers.

I have traveled as far from others as I can. And intend to find peace in the wilds, not only for freedom now, but for peace. Maybe the Dunwyr are right. Maybe it would be best to tear it all down, let nature take over. Either way, I will find my contentment in solitude.

Return to “Character Stories & Histories”