Job Application

Avedri

Job Application

Post by Avedri »

Octavia sat a table in the lab surrounded by various dissected wildlife framing the edge of the table. Some members of the parlour believed there was a direct connection between the condition of physical organs, specifically the pancreas and the capabilities of being able to reanimate flesh. Octavia thought the idea was beyond ludicrous but in order to play the part of a good protege, she lent her gifts to determine the credibility of the theory.

In front of her sat a parchment that had two rows of organs sketched in gruesome detail, below each were a set of measurements along with a cataloging number. On the bottom half of the page the designs had deviated into a variety of different structures such as a tall clock tower and a charming boutique stylized as a fairy tale cottage with a thatched roof. She was wholly engrossed in detailing a bank with three vine-carved pillars on either side when a voice came from behind her.

“You are so gifted, it has proven to be quite a wise partnership.”

Octavia spun around quickly in her chair, reaching to pull it in front of her. “How did you get in here,” she said accusingly, “are you a member?”

The man chuckled in a pitiful manner. “You do not look at all happy to see me, I suppose I should have written.”

“Have you come to release me?” Octavia looked at the man hopefully, her bottom lip trembling slightly.

He smiled so broadly that his blue eyes squinted and then he pushed a lock of dark hair away from his face and said, “your naivety it quite endearing.”

“No!” She threw back, pushing the chair out of the way, “I saw it with my own eyes, I talked with their regent, people are worshiping. My part of the deal is finished.”

He moved closer towards Octavia, running a hand down the lapel of his duster, “Are you sure? Is that how you remember it? The way I recall it you only have one aspect of a trinity completed.” He glanced down at the drawings next to her and stated matter-of-factly, “this organ research is in the wrong direction. Focus on your tasks and really,” his tone was now dripping with condescension, “have a little faith.”

Return to “Character Stories & Histories”