Favorite part of being in the Church of Light..

Lae

Favorite part of being in the Church of Light..

Post by Lae »

So we have a few more people playing Church folk, which part is your favorite part?

I'll start!

My favorite part of playing a monk is the lore that goes along with it. When you're interviewed you're made to understand that you are being held to a certain behaviour and there will be consequences if you mess up. There are a lot of games that *say* you have a code of conduct and never really uphold it. It's refreshing to have to think about how you act.
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

I quite like the roleplay behind the church, and specifically what you said Lae. I love the fact that there is a code of conduct that has to be followed, and if it isn't you lose your powers.

One of the problems I find in most MUDs is a lack of long term consequences that actually mean anything. And the fact that a Templar or a Monk can lose their light, to me at least, is really neat.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I'm glad it's well-received. While many guilds have a few loose guidelines here and there, I wanted to make it completely clear that the Church guilds hold their members to a particularly high standard and that they don't put up with people who aren't willing to stick to those standards.

In Lae's case, she took her light-dimming situation very well and I'm glad she did so without complaint or throwing up her hands and quitting over it (in fact, I got the impression she took it as a character-developing incident that wasn't too detrimental to here gameplay). A few people thought it might have been a little too harsh or long-lasting, but I also wanted to make it clear that Church members can't do something that would make them lose their light, wait a couple hours or days, then get it back. Losing your ability to channel your Inner Light is a big deal, and isn't going to be quickly "fixed".

Luckily in Lae's case she didn't do anything particularly terrible, and even Dimmes understood why she did what she did. That leads me to my next point I wanted to state, just for clarity's sake since we're on the subject: the Church doesn't do something to cause their members to lose their light - an individual loses their own light. Dimmes or Sharinas can't flip a switch and say, "You can't use your light anymore." They have no control over anyone else's inner light - they can only help others learn to hone and harness it. If they chastise someone, however, it can cause the chastised person to think about what they've done in a new light and realize that they aren't acting worthy of their light, and thus cause it to dim.
The lore compels me!
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

Honestly Rias I think the whole thing is beyond awesome. RP with consequences is a total turn on.
"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy." `Steven Weinburg
preiman
CLOK Patron

Re: Favorite part of being in the Church of Light..

Post by preiman »

I love that i really do have to think about what maric does, with other characters it matters, but with maric everything really does matter, and not just for a moment or two. if i unthinkingly do the kind of thoughtless things that other characters get away with, maric is ignoring his duties at best. bottom line, i feel like he matters to the world, and that the world has to matter to him, and I love that.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Lavi

Post by Lavi »

I think my favorite part is the sense of duty. it's hard to play sometimes, but it can be really rewarding.
[ESP-GRAY - Shadowy-Gray]: No no (player) , you were right, it's wonderful. I think I'll send in my application today. I can't wait to partake in the parties there. I just have one question, will I need to kidnap my own child, or will there be some there for those who are un able to.
ydia

Post by ydia »

My favorite part is the rp. I wish we had more though, because most of my rp has been coming from rping with fellow church members, though that seems to slowly be getting better.
I love the church rp though. I just wish more church people existed, and Alexander come play more. lol I've heard so much good about you.
You overhear the bartender exclaim to a patron, "What do you mean, you just want water?! Fine, fine ... but you'd better at least buy something to eat."

Return to “The Church of Light”