Hostility and Sigils

A group of storytellers, musicians, performers, magicians!
TheGreatMalvio

Hostility and Sigils

Post by TheGreatMalvio »

If I were to perform a sigil of wonder on someone in town, would that be considered a crime and shortly thereafter find myself as a bloody beaten chew toy for the town guard dogs?
Marauder

Re: Hostility and Sigils

Post by Marauder »

Technically, yes, however I have no idea how the game handles guards reacting to that kind of thing since it's more of an obscure ability. A person generally wouldn't understand what you're doing to your target without some knowledge from a Mummer or by being a Mummer themselves due to how the abilities function in lore. You can't SEE words or emotions being directed at someone to afflict them and not everyone is fluent in how Mummer magic works. Thematically, if you succeed, it shouldn't set off red flags immediately, but if you fail and the person notices you muttering strange words, they have the right to start pointing fingers, especially in a superstitious town like, say, Shadgard.

This would be better answered by Jirato if he has some time to, or maybe Noctere, however, since I'm not sure how the NPCs would react on mechanical level and I'm not entirely sure anyone currently playing player-side knows.

I'll see if I can't ask about it if I can get into touch with some of the players I know played Mummers extensively in the past about how guards behave when someone uses a Word in a settlement.

Though, the fact remains. It is a hostile action because it debilitates your victim. Your character, as a Mummer, would understand that if they've tried applying the knowledge their training has given them to, perhaps, a stray shade or infested.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Using Word of Wonder in a town will not immediately cause problems, however, depending on how it is used, and how often, you may find yourself charged with hooliganism, harassment, harassment of a law officer, and/or endangering public safety. Some of these charges can be quite severe ad permanently damage your relation with the town.

I don't think the Mummer camp leader would be too thrilled about someone using his teachings for nefarious purposes or damaging the reputation of his crew either.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Marauder

Post by Marauder »

Jirato wrote:I don't think the Mummer camp leader would be too thrilled about someone using his teachings for nefarious purposes or damaging the reputation of his crew either.
Yeah, there's that too. Some guild leaders will not be pleased with members giving the group they belong to a bad name and that could accrue some hefty punishments if you do it enough that people stop blaming you alone and instead start blaming the Mummers. NPCs are just as much people as players are and some of the guild leader NPCs are that way because they're simply still the best at their respective job even after teaching many PCs their secrets.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do as IC dictates, but both you and your character should definitely realize the breadth of the punishment that could be dealt. Evil Mummers are a fun thing to have happen irregularly, though, even if they end up just being really selfish and greedy in the end instead of truly malicious sometimes. It still spices things up.

TLDR: Don't let the fact that Mayhew does not like his members bringing negative attention to the Mummers drive you away from doing as your character would otherwise. Just bare in mind that they could end up in a nasty situation with Mayhew, though I'm sure the GMs would give you ways to escape said situation if you go about it the right way.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Nobody escapes Mayhew.

Nobody.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Mummers”