Ability Request: Sixth Sense

A group of storytellers, musicians, performers, magicians!
criticalfault

Ability Request: Sixth Sense

Post by criticalfault »

As Mummers deal with the mind and emotions, i thought it might be kind of spiffy to give them the ability to resist being ambushed quite so easily as long as they had a power activated.

Cast Sixth_Sense

You open your mind up to the subtle intentions of others, becoming wary for attacks.

This would basically grant Mummers the "Paranoid" Status like when someone pick pockets you, for something like 5 minutes?

It would also be AMAZING if they could have a passive chance for it to fire if they didn't have it cast, something like 5% or 10%? (More or less rolling a natural 20 or a threat in AD&D terms.)
Jhordon -(Struck by lightning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NaSUdzzA
Cigano - (Friends on the other side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
jilliana

Re: Ability Request: Sixth Sense

Post by jilliana »

Spiffy indeed! :)
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I agree, it's spiffy, but this seems a lot like what mummers already get in Mindsense.

From the wiki: Detects the presence (but not identity) of otherwise hidden beings in the area, as well as the presence of individuals connected to the ESP network. Also gives a passive chance to detect the arrival or departure of otherwise hidden individuals moving into/out of the immediate area (but does not identify them).

It's a neat idea and I do understand that there are differences in what you're describing and Mindsense. But since they already have something similar I don't really think it would be fair to those grinding stealth for Mummers to have two abilities that don't require specific training and allow them to get around a potential perception grind, especially if it could be a somewhat permanently re-castable buff. Not that anyone would ever want to ambush a mummer ;)
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Mummer's have been ambushed. Not my story to tell, though. :)
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
criticalfault

Post by criticalfault »

This was more the hope for mummers to not have to grind perception as much =P WE ARE PSYCHIC... i think...are we? i think we are! in any case, realize that its just a bonus and it wont always be up just like how templars dont always keep their chants or monks arent always spiritually protected. etc etc
Jhordon -(Struck by lightning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NaSUdzzA
Cigano - (Friends on the other side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

In order to prevent people from just constantly turning on the Paranoia, maybe give it a good 20-40 energy cost, and have it take 5 or so seconds of RT to cast the self buff?
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
qinweiqi

Post by qinweiqi »

I think this would really make sense as an automatic feature in mindsense, or be a nice add-on ability with a prereq of mindsense. I don't think it should be able to be cast at all, but rather just become activated anytime mindsense is triggered. Like, add paranoia any time you sense an entity you cannot see, but maybe only if the area isn't already too psychic-ly noisy (any room flagged as have more than a small group or any room with more than 6-10 creatures with a mind?). I think you'd be justified in being a little paranoid if you know you're being watched in the wilds. In town in a busy marketplace, I think it might work less well given all the minds present.

Return to “Mummers”