Mummer Power Ideas

A group of storytellers, musicians, performers, magicians!
criticalfault

Mummer Power Ideas

Post by criticalfault »

Here are a few Mummer powers I thought would be kind of neat. I didn't want to spam the threat with individual requests, but maybe some of these would come in handy.

"Curse of babble" - Reduces the targets Common Langauge Score randomly for 10-30 minutes.

"Word of Despair" - Makes the target randomly gets a short RT instead of firing a command.
IE
>Attack carrier
You struggle against your despair to perform your action!
2 second round time.

"Subtle Word" - Allows the mummer to active a word while speaking to someone, subtly.
>subtle tranquility viridiana Your looking very tired today.

"Send Dream" - Allows a mummer to send a dream off to a player. This must be written down on a piece of paper and is show to them upon logging in.

"Word of Courage" - Makes someone unshakable for a few minutes.

"Word of Anger" - Makes someone fight harder but defend less for a few minutes

"Illusionary Landscape" allows a mummer to temporarily rewrite the long description of a room.

And more to come another time!
Jhordon -(Struck by lightning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NaSUdzzA
Cigano - (Friends on the other side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
jilliana

Re: Mummer Power Ideas

Post by jilliana »

I really like the dream idea, but I was thinking it would be cool to do while they are in some kind of trance state. A sort of hypnosis of sorts.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

I'm not sure how it fits with lore of how mummer powers work and all, that's all Rias' domain. However, personally, I really like the idea of the babble thing. Doesn't really serve any mechanical purpose, but would be awesome still. I'd laugh hysterically any time I saw it used on someone and they tried to talk.

Courage sounds pretty cool too. buffs are always neat. I think Templar may have a similar ability?

Illusionary Landscape has a few issues with it. I don't think it'd work out. I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think most mummers' abilities rely on the mummer making an impression to the target. If you changed a room description and then someone new walked in, they weren't there when you made that impression, so they shouldn't see it. Then there's the whole issue of quality control and room description guidelines. Mummers are an open guild, allowing anyone to join, grind for an ability, and go around re-writing room descriptions would be a pretty bad thing, even if they are temporary.

The first point of the above kinda goes with dreams too, there may be some rare exceptions, but I don't think most mummers would be capable of something not involving direct interaction like that.
xavier

Post by xavier »

a while back i had a discussion with Rias about mummers and illusions and he told me the mummers have no ability to perform illusions. the best you can do is describe your illusory environment with words
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

An alternative to an illusory landscape, could be the ability to impress the idea of an illusory environment on people.

What this could do is make it so that abilities that rely on specific terrain types don't function for the target, for X seconds. It could also remove bonuses to skills and impress penalties to skills, based on terrain. Nothing major, and keep it single target.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

as much as I am loath to do anything to help the Mummers get more powerful, I think they would have an ability to suggest these things to a person, maybe with a little psychic push. they wouldn't be creating an illusion, instead they would be creating something like a hypnotic suggestion in a persons mind. The rewritten room would only be visible to the person or persons it was cast at, because it was only in their mind.
That being said, seriously Mummers already have a couple big I win buttons, lets not give them more.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

The Courage one is actually on my to-do list! The babble one is awesome, and I'm totally going to implement it in some way. Despair and anger seem like they could be fun and interesting.

I'm unfortunately not willing to let people alter things like room descriptions and such with their own input, even if it is just temporary. I'm real picky about that kind of thing. Also remember that the illusions Mummers create are in peoples' minds, and normally the can't be overly specific without taking a lot of time and preparation first (i.e. not just a "spell" you can fire off). Mummer effects cause emotions and inspirations in other people, but those vary by individual. For instance: Word of Wonder isn't saying, "You are now in a world of giant mushrooms, purple skies, and pink unicorns!" Rather it's saying to the person's mind, "Conjure up any feelings and mental images of wonder that are stored away in there where things normally don't come to light, save perhaps in dreams." Thusly it's going to be very different from person to person.
The lore compels me!
criticalfault

Post by criticalfault »

Again, no worries, as for the Illusionary terrains, take a look in the mummer camp. If you investigate enough, you'll find what I was referring too. Glad if even one or two of the ideas is picked!
Jhordon -(Struck by lightning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NaSUdzzA
Cigano - (Friends on the other side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
baerden

Post by baerden »

Mummer Power - Brown Note

Probably too OP though.
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

baerden wrote:Mummer Power - Brown Note
Was that a southpark reference?
parham

Post by parham »

Yes, I agree with Dean. The thing is, when the wagons are present in the camp (the ones that cause an illusion, I mean), it is giving the hint that the Mummers can create such stuff.

Maybe, instead of making them able to alter every room's description, rename the skill to something like, I don't know, "Magic Doorway"? This means they can take anything that can be entered, like their own wagon, tent, or anything, and then make only that room's description change. Of course, I don't mean inns or shops, but things like wagons, just like in the camp. Also, they will need to spend some time preparing the wagon somehow, so it wouldn't be instant. I don't know, maybe using something like crystals to make the mental impression permanent (I.E. it would work even if they are not around)?

I don't really think it needs to give a combat buff/debuff. However, it is very great for RP.

Return to “Mummers”