A Mummer Task Proposal

A group of storytellers, musicians, performers, magicians!
Lysse

A Mummer Task Proposal

Post by Lysse »

I've had this idea for a while now, and ages ago sent it up to the Staff through e-mail. I figured that maybe the Playerbase would be interested in seeing it, and giving feedback on the suggestion. It would reinforce the grouping and support roles of a Mummer, and allow for them to organise group expeditions. The basic premise is that once per week, a Mummer can bring a group to their task master and “ask <NPC> about expedition”. An Expedition would be a special task that would net the Mummer a good amount of GP (maybe 200 or more, depending on how difficult the task), but it would require a group to request.

Asking for an expedition would generate an instance somewhere in the world, such as in a crypt or a ruined city, maybe even a Barrow or Burial mound out in the Wilds. The area would be of variable size, based on the number in your group, and would spawn dangerous critters with skills based along the skill levels of everyone involved. A big boss would be nice, as well as loot in the form of gems and riln.

To top it off, however, I think it would be very neat if there was special loot in this instances that can’t be found normally anywhere else, such as Aetgardian artifacts like special weapons and armor. The weapons/armor would be of varying materials, but would be average in quality with perhaps special qualities like serrated edges, fullers that reduce RT per attack.

Because of the delicate natures of the artifacts though, it's unlikely they could be repaired. These wouldn't be designed to take away work from any PC Weaponsmiths, but instead just inject neat little procedurally generated items into the game, to give people little special things now and then.

The goal for the Mummer, however, isn't the riln or items. They are being sent there to recover pieces of lore that were thought to be lost, regarding the past of the Lost Lands. Each time a Mummer went on an expedition, a fragment of lore (in the form of a scroll) would be hidden somewhere in the instance, perhaps guarded by a very tough guard critter/NPC. The Mummer’s GP gain would hinge on returning the scroll. Each scroll would have a little story on it, about the history of the Lost Lands or other cultures nearby. Not every expedition would produce a new piece of lore, but even copies would be worth much to the Mummers as it may be written in different languages, or from different points of view.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Lavi

Re: A Mummer Task Proposal

Post by Lavi »

I'm not sure how doable this is, but it's cooooooooooool!
[ESP-GRAY - Shadowy-Gray]: No no (player) , you were right, it's wonderful. I think I'll send in my application today. I can't wait to partake in the parties there. I just have one question, will I need to kidnap my own child, or will there be some there for those who are un able to.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

The only thing I would change about this is the frequency in which these expeditions happen.
After a while, they not only become expected, but not so special.
It would be wonderful to hear more stories that create the places we hear of or visit, and even more than that to discover that there is a little something extra in them. It'd especially fun for those of us who sort of started playing after the time CLOK had a lot happening. It'll also help with playing LORE catch-up.
IT's been fun so far asking around for CLOK history IC, but that method also brings conflict and some drama...not to mention people tell you what they want because some details may not put them in a good light.

Two thumbs up for this one!
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I'd love to do stuff like this, but as general events rather than anything task-based (for automated tasks, anyway). Tasks occur very frequently, so any "special" loot would soon be overflowing the player population, and it'd be difficult to come up with enough lore to keep it from getting dreadfully repetitive really quickly.
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

You could implement it as a task which is only has a 0.00001% of being given and once it is given the task goes on a cool down of say, a month.

Return to “Mummers”