"Advanced Wordslinging" Ability Idea

A group of storytellers, musicians, performers, magicians!
Marauder

"Advanced Wordslinging" Ability Idea

Post by Marauder »

[OOC - Varido]: How about a passive ability that allows stringing Words together to create various new effects?

As I said prior to posting this. To be frank, Mummers lack that special bit of specialization that I feel exists in other guilds (Rooks choosing between Cryomancy and Sorcery or a bit of both, for example). This passive ability would basically add in new effects that would have to be found out via trial and error and as such, I will not suggest which Word should be combined with which to do what.

Now, while this specifically wouldn't add in specialization itself, but it would open up the door to the magic-based Mummers more. As I see it, Mummers should be able to go with both magic and certain physical abilities (they already have Tumble and Flip, for example), but later on, one might choose to specialize in one over the other. This is the magical side I'd like to see.

Now, for some affliction ideas, listed by number, however the number means little aside from adding a bit of ease to finding certain effects.

1. A cold-based effect that can accumulate to apply chill-related side effects, like adding one second of round time every two-three minutes.
2. A heat-based effect that could also accumulate over repeated afflictions, that would do something similar to bleeding, a small energy drain every so often.
3. Skill reductions caused by forgetfulness, much like a minor form of Mind Fog that could be afflict someone multiple times, however it should not stack with Mind Fog, and should only effect one skill per hit.
4. Fearlessness, removing the capacity to flee the room.
5. Analgesia, the inability to feel pain, and thus being incapable of diagnosing your own wounds without looking at them specifically, however not losing energy by being hit. Could have multiple downsides such as having to remove heavy armor completely to know if you're bleeding or not.
6. Insanity. This would be a bit tricky and should be split up into multiple afflictions, however it could disrupt concentration and sever elemental channels at random, for one effect.
7. An affliction that applies immense amounts of pain when attempting to move, much like having arrows stuck in you and trying to move. This should be the same as arrows being lodged in your body, and should stack a very limited number of times.

All of these could be achieved by "cast"ing two or more different Words at the same time. "cast wonderhorror" and "cast wonderhorrortranquility" for example. Though I'm sure a better system for this is around somewhere, I'm not sure whether or not it would fit in, but you might make the sequence effect the outcome. Like, "wonderhorror" would do something different than "horrorwonder".

That's all I have currently, but do look for edits to this post if I think of any more.
"Gentlemen, all I ask for is war. A war so grand as to make Hell itself tremble. Gentlemen, I ask you as fellow brothers in arms, what is it you really want? Do you wish for further war as I do? Do you wish for a merciless, bloody war? A war whose fury is built with iron, and lightning, and fire? Do you ask for war to sweep in like a tempest, leaving not even ravens to scavenge from this Earth?!"
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

adding music into the mix might help. using an instrument the person might TUNE DISPAIR to cause the target to have lower defense or something such, combine this and you can PLAY TUNE DISPAIR and use TRANQUILITYWONDER and create something that lowers the defense and puts them into a very deep stupor, this would require tons upon tons of energy, as much as lightning if not more.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Cold and heat are beyond the scope of channeling and amplifying emotions. The ones related to pain, I'm not sure are within that scope either, or at least the design intent of the guild.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Mummers”