I joined the mummers, I told stories...

A group of storytellers, musicians, performers, magicians!
Tenlaar

I joined the mummers, I told stories...

Post by Tenlaar »

I finally got to rank 1 and learned Word of Wonder, and I was not even given a remote clue as to how to actually use it. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious, but it would be nice to actually be told how to use a new ability that is learned.
Tenlaar

Post by Tenlaar »

I should add that I eventually figured it out, but it was frustrating for somebody who has never cast a spell before.

Also, I see that the guild skills are not listed with the actual skills that increase with use, so how do you make them better?
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Yeah. I think this is maybe an oversight, seeing as the Mummers are the most recent Guild and haven't been played all that much recently. Alpha is alpha!

Secondly, not all guild abilities tie into skills. As it stands, and seems, I'd guess that Mummer magic isn't based around any skills. Essentially, it's static in terms of effectiveness. I don't know how, or if, that's going to change in the future though. But considering only one or two guilds, at best, have any defenses against Mummer abilities, I'm not sure if it's necessary at the present.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

That should be fixed. Guild abilities normally give you usage syntax when you learn them and when you use guild describe [#], it just got overlooked for some of the Mummer ones. Sorry about that, thanks for reporting it.

Mummer abilities currently have a unique static formula for success rather than skill-based. Whether this will remain the case isn't certain.
The lore compels me!
Tenlaar

Post by Tenlaar »

I would like to cast my vote for skill-based. It would allow much more depth to skills. Let's start with, say, Word of Wonder. Right now, and I mean this in the nicest way possible because I still like it and the character, it's pretty underwhelming for my first guild skill. It is helpful if I have two enemies in a room and I don't want to move, or an enemy attacking me is keeping me from looting a body.

With it as a developed skill-based ability, I could have an increased chance of putting the enemy to sleep allowing me to really wallop it on the next attack, maybe even an increasing chance for the enemy to remain mesmerized/sleeping through attacks with higher skill.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

I think that increasing the chances of an enemy staying mesmerised/asleep when under attack is potentially a bit overpowered. Mummers are, from my understanding, meant to be Support based characters. I've poked around on a Mummer, and got the Tranquility ability, and didn't think it underwhelming. It's excellent for escaping combat, or for allowing your group members a moment to regroup. It also means you should be able to hide without fear of detecting, which is (I think) pretty darn good (regarding Wonder at least).
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Tenlaar

Post by Tenlaar »

I understand being support base. I also think that if guild skills don't have anywhere to "go" as you play, it will lose an important aspect to me - the feeling of power with character growth.

Also, to be frank, I log in and see 1-5 people playing. I don't think that it is prudent for guilds to be designed heavily around grouping situations. Having something added in that can, through training, be of more use to a solo mummer can't be a bad thing, can it? I'm not saying offensive guild skills, I'm not saying direct defensive guild skills, I'm just saying maybe think about buffing the debuff part of the Support guild.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

I'm still not sure the debuffing needs to be empowered any further. And considering the nature of the game (being in Alpha), it's best to design guilds at least partially on the premise that there will, hopefully, be more people online more regularly. While it isn't always the "standard", there are often times when there are up to 10 players online, and being as the game has managed to stay in the 11th spot of the top 10 with an apparently low player base means that there's probably more people that do play then you normally see.

As it stands, I've only played around with the Word of Tranquility but, as I said, because there's little to no way to defend against it, it's already very powerful. It completely breaks/ends combat with a target, and there are very few abilities that do that.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath

Return to “Mummers”