instrument playing

A group of storytellers, musicians, performers, magicians!
hadesfire

instrument playing

Post by hadesfire »

Is there an ability for the mummers to play their instrument? If not, it would be awesome to have one, some kind of skill that boosts the effects of their other skills based on how good of a player they are. They could PLAY <instrument> to start the boost, like channeling, then, based on their skill in said instrument, recieve a boost to their other spells/skills. Tuning could boost that boost and an even greater boost could be gained with the tuning fork, and if you use a pick on instruments that need it, they could have less chance of losing the boost.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

This is on the to-do list, at least the basic instrument playing, and having it be skill-based, and possibly influencing some Mummer abilities. Don't plan on playing instruments mid-combat, though. Can't really concentrate on chord progression when someone's actively trying to chop your head off.
The lore compels me!
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

I was thinking that you sacrificed combat for those really snazzy combat buffs and enemy debuffs.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I just can't think of a way to justify playing an instrument while you are physically under attack. If you're in a group it could be doable, if you have someone to guard you, but if an enemy manages to get an attack through to you, that's going to break up your playing.
The lore compels me!
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

Maybe you can only DODGE while playing and you could play up until the point of getting hit.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

*hides in a shrub while playing a flute in your general direction*
Speaking to Garith, you exclaim, "Ban' baaan'!"
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

While it's a pretty big staple of bards in D&D, I don't think it's necessary to have instrument playing be apart of combat for a Mummer.

It'd be better, I think, if the Mummer was able to play an instrument BEFORE a fight to give themselves a temporary boost to their skills/magic.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

Well, if you wanna be logical about it..., I also want the ability to create songs with lyrics and imbueing stanza/verses/other, with abilities, with higher levels creating more verses per song until a maximum.
Blair

Post by Blair »

It's rather difficult to be playing an instrument in actual combat. Instead of playing instruments, it would be better if mummers could build their own music box and tuned it for their needs. Just wind the thing up and let it play. Probably won't be as effective as playing an instrument but seems more doable in combat.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

We're working on implementing music playing right now, though it will be available to everyone. There will possibly be some minor benefits for Mummers if used in combination with their abilities, but nothing world-shattering. We don't want them to be considered a must-have, as not all Mummers are musicians.
The lore compels me!
Aruna

Post by Aruna »

I noticed Mayhew was teaching General: Music and Strummed Instruments, so I picked them both up, but since it looks like there's no way to gain skill in them, I had to abandon them.

Return to “Mummers”