Mental Disruption

A group of storytellers, musicians, performers, magicians!
Marauder

Mental Disruption

Post by Marauder »

So I've been reading how Elemancers are pretty much unstoppable if they get the first hit in (see: Aeromancy and light weaponry). My suggestion to, hopefully, stop this to some degree, is an active ability that allows a Mummer to sever one or more of the target's channels per cast. Basically an advanced variation of Mind Fog, that causes a brief break in the mental focus of the target, causing them to lose control of a channel or two.

Edit: Since Mummers are the only guild capable of doing stuff like causing fogginess in the mind and such, I figured it'd fit with them more than any other guild. Also note that this isn't meant to be a test of channeling skills, it's basically causing a distraction in the target's mind to break their concentration and thus make them lose their hold on a channel.
Last edited by Marauder on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gentlemen, all I ask for is war. A war so grand as to make Hell itself tremble. Gentlemen, I ask you as fellow brothers in arms, what is it you really want? Do you wish for further war as I do? Do you wish for a merciless, bloody war? A war whose fury is built with iron, and lightning, and fire? Do you ask for war to sweep in like a tempest, leaving not even ravens to scavenge from this Earth?!"
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

[quote=Marauder]So I've been reading how Elemancers are pretty much unstoppable if they get the first hit in...[/quote]Sorry but, who the heck is telling you porkie pies?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Considering the debuffs that Mummers have can, under the correct circumstances, make them just as deadly as the Aeromancer in your above example, that doesn't seem like a great reasoning to post an idea like that.

That out of the way, I'd argue that because all magic requires intense concentration, that both the Channeling skills and the appropriate Magic skills are what determines their mental defenses against specific mental attacks like that. Furthermore, I'd argue that anyone with Channeling Mastery guild abilities would warrant increased defenses against such attacks for the same reason.

To take the above example, Aeromancy determines the accuracy of a raw aeromancy cast. This most likely means that an Elemancer's ability to make calculations regarding trajectory are based partially on knowledge of Aeromancy. Channeling, as well, is the Aeromancer's ability to perform more complex calculatons in a number of ways. It determines accuracy for certain spells/patterns, as well as allows a spellcaster to hold a channel at a reduced amount of energy cost.

In the instance of a mental attack specifically against a target's spellcasting, I'm not sure how those would not amount to a defense against those things. That's how Elemental Severance works. An Elemancer puts breaks in the patterns and concentrations of a fellow Elemancer, and it's based both on channeling and a related 'mancy skill.

This isn't taking into consideration other forms of magic as well. Sorcery is supposed to be easier to channel, which might give it a slightly improved defense against this. Druidry is tapping into another power source altogether, by requesting aid from the Gaea.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

The only unstoppable elemancer is one with unlimited energy and all master elements, they run out of energy fast and you should switch to a defence tactic and out wait them, most have minimal armor and are very squishy.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

hadesfire wrote:The only unstoppable elemancer is one with unlimited energy and all master elements....
In short, the good o' days.
...they run out of energy fast and you should switch to a defence tactic and out wait them, most have minimal armor and are very squishy.
I would advise tactics dodge as spells cannot be parried but crushing attacks will still damage the target if they block or wear armor, spells are often heavily resisted by armor, Lightning and Geomatic crushing damage aside.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

If you have high enough dodge you may be able to attack the elemancer and tire them out faster, I would lead them on a chase so that their natural channel fatigue activates and I take minimal damage.

Return to “Mummers”