Ability: Quickdraw

Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

By honing your reflexes and perceptive abilities, you are able to quickly draw a sheathed weapon, make an attack with it, and return it in one normal round of combat.
OOC: Allows you to retrieve a weapon from an open holster, sheath, scabbard, or baldric, then attack with or fire it before returning it to its respective home.
Requirements: 500 marksmanship, 500 melee, 500 Perception.
The command could work for when there is a hostile in the room, or if you provide the target.
quickdraw revolver at carrier
You deftly retrieve your revolver from a leather holster and fire it at a bloated carrier before returning it.
You deftly retrieve your stiletto from a leather sheath and strike at a bloated carrier before returning it.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Jaster

Re: Ability: Quickdraw

Post by Jaster »

Other than not having to be prepared for combat by having your weapon in hand, and looking like a badass, what would be the benefit of this?
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Could work like a poor man's ambush without needing to hide, the first time you use it on a target that you haven't attacked yet.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

In general, my character would use it to strike with a heavier weapon while still getting two parry rolls with brawling focus and blade slap. Basically wield a greatsword or longsword two handed, while being able to gget two parry rolls. The draw back would be that you don't get the parry bonus from the weapon that you use to attack. The other thing is that you would be able to wield things like iron weapons if you are tainted, or netherium if you are not tainted.
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
TheCacklackian

Post by TheCacklackian »

I think quickdraw would be limited to weapons of moderate weight and size, such as longswords, daggers, pistols, shortbows and such, and it should not for any reason make a user immune to nethrium burn or iron burn just because they do so 'quickly', but I also find the idea of someone drawing a massive sword, swinging it around with any efficacy, and then sheathing it swiftly is kind of silly, A mechanical advantage I could see for this is adding a sort of 'ambush' like effect for the first strike, relying on surprising the foe with a swift attack, perhaps based far more on melee/weapon skills respectively instead of stealth.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Yeah, those benefits both sound more like the kind of unintended side effects the devs would want to patch once they realized they were there.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

The reason why I feel like you should be okay wielding netherium or iron with this ability is because when you pick up netherium while not tainted, there's some time before it burns you. I imagine if they wanted there to be no time, then it would burn you instantly upon picking it up. Right now my character can wield netherium some what effectively. That is, draw the weapon, attack, then sheath it before it burns them. This happens about 50 percent of the time, more if I get the timing right. All I want the ability to do is to make it one swift command. I'd even be okay with it still burning you, so long as the weapon is returned to its sheath, scabbard, or holster. If this is completely out of the question. I'd still like the ability, so I can both look like a bad ass, and get my blade slapping in rather than the weapon's parry bonus.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

It should also have a small chance to rip off your fingers, because you're moving your hand so fast.

TheCacklackian

Post by TheCacklackian »

I've a feeling the ability for non tainted to 'pick up' nethrium without burning themselves is mechanical and not really something in lore. I think nethrium should not be effectively useable by non tainted and the same should be said for tainted and iron. Both should burn and make you drop the item pretty much on contact.

Return to “General Discussion”