Poll: Daily Maintenance/Room Saver

How do you feel about the daily room saver maintenance?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:16 am

I rarely play at that time, so it does not affect me.
63%
I often play at that time and prefer a few minutes of a frozen MUD over 20+ minutes of lag.
25%
I often play at that time and prefer being able to play non-stop without a brief freeze, even if the game lags.
No votes
I often play at that time but do not have a preference.
13%

Total votes: 8
Jirato
DEV

Poll: Daily Maintenance/Room Saver

Post by Jirato »

The daily room saver function runs at 6AM Eastern time (4AM in-game time). Formerly, the entire MUD (including connections/disconnections, NPC actions/combat, chat, etc) would freeze for several minutes while it ran.

About a year ago, I changed this to a threaded call that runs in the background. While it frees up the main event loop of the MUD to allow interactions, the sheer processing power and disk utilization required for saving 8000+ rooms at once causes the game to lag horrendously while it runs. Since it's running in tandem with the main MUD engine, it also takes significantly longer to run (between 20 and 30 minutes).

The purpose of this poll will be to gauge people's preferences. Note that there's also a bunch of other under the hood stuff I'm working on which will hopefully improve things in the future, though they'll require quite a bit of time to implement.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Jirato
DEV

Re: Poll: Daily Maintenance/Room Saver

Post by Jirato »

Accidentally double posted, I deleted the duplicate, if you voted on that one, please vote on this one.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!

Return to “General Discussion”