Depart and Max Skills

Dorn

Depart and Max Skills

Post by Dorn »

So, I'm kind of curious *why* exactly capped skills no longer help remove depart penalties?

I know that skills that count as not having risk, or any gating towards, no longer provide reduction and is something I somewhat agree with (though the fact Knapping is behind 2? ability points and doesn't give reduction seems backwards) but why wouldn't combat skills that are maxed?

We all know skills continue to grow, even if their actual maximum is capped at 2500, which means you've got to be in a situation that requires gain, so why would it suddenly not aid?

If I'm in a scenario, that despite max skills, I would get gain if I could continue to grow, why wouldn't it help remove depart? It just really seems in conflict with the whole, risking yourself, scenario that was initially portrayed to us and removing depart penalties.

Between the changes to dragging, and the fact that capped skills require being in hugely dangerous situations, you're likely not going to get rescued and any sort of combat is always with risk (more so the further on you get), this really just feels like a punishment to an accomplishment instead of anything else.

Or, just an encouragement not to take chances and push even further towards ensuring you fight mobs that have zero chance of a kill or damage.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
xavier

Re: Depart and Max Skills

Post by xavier »

I hadn't thought about this until now, but that does raise a valid point. I have to agree with everything that has been posted. I really can't think of anything to add to it. Very well thought out and expressed, thank you.
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Jirato
DEV

Re: Depart and Max Skills

Post by Jirato »

It's not going to be relevant once the new death mechanics are released, so I'll go ahead and undo it for now. My logic was a max skill is something that your character is so good at, that it's "too easy" for you to count as a penalty. But, I suppose if our challenge system was balanced better it wouldn't really be an issue.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!

Return to “General Discussion”